Frequent Contributor

Re: the story out of the Dominican Republic is really getting scary

The only point I would like to bring up is even the all inclusive resorts are not regulated as they would be in the US.  Think about chemicals; food additives..etc.  We must remember we are traveling to a different country and the rules we are used to may or may not exist.Even though we are on vacation we still must remember to guard ourselves.

We have traveled extensively and my husband travels about 90% of the time for work.  He is also retired military.  We haven't had any issues.  The people we meet have always been kind and respectful.

As for the mini bars in the room; we never use them.  You don't know how long something has been in there of if it has been tampered with by anyone.  You might think the bottle is sealed but if you are having a good time are you really looking/hearing if it was.

We keep track of our drinks. If we are trying a new food we make sure it is cooked and at least know what the ingredients are.  

But we error on being cautious,  We don't do almost anything alone.  If one need to go somewhere we both go.  If we leave to go on a tour; sightseeing errand etc we let someone know.  When planning for a trip we look at the medical facilities and know where we need to be taken if something happens.  A lot of planning yes; maybe too much who knows? But that might what it takes needs to be done to be safe.

Just remember even though a chemical ban; USDA inspections; etc are done here; some of the other poorer countries might not have such things.

Honored Contributor

@photodreamr wrote:

The only point I would like to bring up is even the all inclusive resorts are not regulated as they would be in the US.  Think about chemicals; food additives..etc.  We must remember we are traveling to a different country and the rules we are used to may or may not exist.Even though we are on vacation we still must remember to guard ourselves.

We have traveled extensively and my husband travels about 90% of the time for work.  He is also retired military.  We haven't had any issues.  The people we meet have always been kind and respectful.

As for the mini bars in the room; we never use them.  You don't know how long something has been in there of if it has been tampered with by anyone.  You might think the bottle is sealed but if you are having a good time are you really looking/hearing if it was.

We keep track of our drinks. If we are trying a new food we make sure it is cooked and at least know what the ingredients are.  

But we error on being cautious,  We don't do almost anything alone.  If one need to go somewhere we both go.  If we leave to go on a tour; sightseeing errand etc we let someone know.  When planning for a trip we look at the medical facilities and know where we need to be taken if something happens.  A lot of planning yes; maybe too much who knows? But that might what it takes needs to be done to be safe.

Just remember even though a chemical ban; USDA inspections; etc are done here; some of the other poorer countries might not have such things.

@photodreamr, I'm not so concerned with chemicals or food additives as I am about contamination that can cause sickness. Best to follow a few simple rules to avoid that. Most resorts want return customers and good reviews, but I'd still be careful and drink only bottled water (ice from bottled water), and cooked or peeled fresh veggies and fruit.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

So many nice, beautiful, warm-weather vacation places here in the US (including Hawaii).

Years and years ago, we had neighbors (a family) who spent three weeks every year vacationing about 40 miles awayfrom their home.

Nice hotel, pool.  Warmer weather. 

Near a very exclusive shopping center, and many interesting tourists' spots to visit.

They loved it.

No need to stress re: airports, flying, etc.

Seriously, take a 'look around' nearby vacation spots for a relaxing family (or otherwise) vacation. 

Sometimes we 'forget' the beauty of surrounding areas

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

They shot Popi....David Ortiz...one of the best in baseball who played for the Red Sox....he is doing well now but has a long road to recovery. I hope they lock up all of them for a long time.
Honored Contributor

Our friends just returned from DR on Friday. They had a great time but stayed at the resort the entire time.

However, the one evening they looked in the mini-bar, just to look and one of the bottles inside had a broken seal, like someone had opened it and put it back.  Could have been the people who were in the room prior but they turned it in to the front desk.   

Esteemed Contributor

In the latest twist, NBC is reporting that dozens off Jimmy Buffett fans fell ill at a resort in the DR in April.

Dozens of Buffett-loving "parrothead" fans from the Central Oklahoma Parrothead Association claim they all got violently ill while staying at the Hotel Riu Palace Macao in April.

"About midweek people began to get sick and were missing events, and we began to wonder what was going on,'' travel agent Dana Flowers told NBC's Molly Hunter on TODAY Monday.

The guests claim that the resort did not take their complaints seriously and shared emails from the hotel with NBC News detailing the resort's response.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Our friends just returned from DR on Friday. They had a great time but stayed at the resort the entire time.

However, the one evening they looked in the mini-bar, just to look and one of the bottles inside had a broken seal, like someone had opened it and put it back.  Could have been the people who were in the room prior but they turned it in to the front desk.   

That's interesting.

Too bad someone from the US couldn't have analyzed that.

Honored Contributor

@colliemom4 wrote:

I heard someone on the news say it may be bootleg liquor. Not sure I believe it though.

@colliemom4   I wondered the same thing.  Printing out labels of name-brands would be easy to do.  Unless a person really knows labels it would be very easy to just select what you want and drink.

Somebody mentioned Legionaires (spelling) but it seems that would affect a larger group rather than what seems to be random deaths.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Super Contributor

I believe it is up to 8 people now.  On the news this morning, a group of 12 or so went to a Jimmy Buffet concert there and they all got violently sick.  (I did not hear when).  It has to be something in the alcohol.

Honored Contributor