Honored Contributor

have you found any little helps there??? i keep hearing that come up.  depends on good vs. not so good.  any experiences?

Esteemed Contributor

I think it depends on what you're looking for.  Recently I discovered their greeting cards which are very nice.  I cringed everytime I had to buy cards at Hallmark or Am Greetings....so expensive!

Trusted Contributor

Not all Dollar Stores are created equal.  Dollar General I don't care for at all.  I have 2 Dollar Trees near me and they differ quite a bit in what is carried.  The one I prefer is a great place to go for Greeting cards, gift bags, a cleaner called something Awesome (it really is awesome), candy, Helium balloons, decor items (I was in there last week and they had really cute fall dishes and bowls).  My son needed a pair of socks for a school project - went to the dollar store and found them.

Honored Contributor

We recently got a coupon for 10% off. We spent $140.00 that day. It is usually a fun trip.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Valued Contributor

Our Dollar Tree is a great place to buy name brand  tissues (I have allergies and use a lot), gift bags, cards and little things for kids. I also buy ziplock bag there if I am not going to use them for food. Just don't know about the brands they carry.

Honored Contributor

It is the only place I buy cleaning supplies and greeting cards.  I do not buy any electronics since I got burned on one string of Christmas lights years ago.  Never even came on.  I have also found unique items there such as Brachs Chocolate Milk Maids just like their caramel ones.  Also on one Valentine's 's season they had Russell Stover Chocolate Chip cookie dough hearts covered in chocolate.  Never saw them in any other stores except on line at the R. Stover web site.  Not all Dollar Stores are the same some are gross and some are very nice. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

I am a Dollar General fan.  I buy my canned products, pastas, cleaning supplies, paper products, greeting cards, trashbags, etc there.  I buy their brand Clover Valley.  I find it just as good if not better than some name brands.  I do buy my laundry and dish washing supplies by the brand, Tide and Dawn and Hefty trash bags.  I get my OTC pain pills, vitamins, etc there also.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

Re: the dollar store??

[ Edited ]

I agree that not all dollar stores are created equal. I do like both Dollar General and Dollar Tree for different items/ reasons. I buy all my paper products and cleaning supplies at DG as well as CG Clump Crusher mascara for $5.00 when on sale and with a coupon. Also- greeting cards, Mylar helium balloons, gift wrap, bags and bows, office supplies, Tide, toothpaste, sometimes hair care products, name brand pain relievers like Tylenol and Advil. 

I needed several silver toned 5x7 picture frames for DDIL's bridal shower to display pics of the happy couple. $1.00 each at Dollar Tree.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

have you found any little helps there??? i keep hearing that come up.  depends on good vs. not so good.  any experiences

I shop at Dollar Tree.  This past summer I got a complete set of outdoor plates, cups, serving trays, placements, bowls, etc.  Paid a fraction of the amount I put out for a set of Temptation ones years ago and got a lot more pieces.  I buy all my cards there, some are a $1 and some are just 50 cents.  Wrapping paper, bows, sponges for washing dishes, those hard disposable foil trays (making lasagna/ziti), hooks to hang wreaths on the door....the list goes on and on.  I agree with other poster, not all dollar stores are the same.  The Dollar Tree nearest to me is very nice, clean, well stocked.  But across town, it's horrible. 

Honored Contributor

Our Dollar Tree is located right by Walmart and they are always mobbed.  Go figure, they are doing something right.  I never shopped these stores until we bought a cottage near a town with nothing but dollar stores.  Dollar Tree and Dollar General are good, Family Dollar is the pits.  They just don't stock anything, and I'm talking about two stores.