Honored Contributor

I don't want to cause a debate or heated discussion...but just wanted to throw this out there.

My sister is the FDA Compliance Officer for a national Custom Brokerage Firm.

They handle importing and exporting of goods from around the world.

As FDA Officer, she works on a daily basis with FDA laws and regulations and the shipments of goods attempting to cross any border into the US (land, sea or air). 

She says 98% of the items HELD/IMPOUNDED are destined for Dollar Store Chains.  The FDA will seize and test random loads of goods/foods.  The highest % of those refused are for Dollar Stores.  Once tested, they are found to contain unacceptable levels of toxins, organisms etc.  Sent right back where they came from.

Testing at the borders is randomly done and clearly can't catch all offenses.

She has told me repeatedly to be VERY careful what I buy at Discount Chains.  Especially never, ever purchase Spices.  They are continually found to contain non-food items such as feces, hairs etc.  Believe it or not, there is an ACCEPTABLE level that can be contained, but if it tests over...it is rejected.

Her rule of thumb is :

Never purchase anything you consume or put on your face. Be very careful about everything else.

Cosmetics may have a 'Name' label, but are most often produced in lesser factories than the norm (in foreign countries), where the standards of sanitation are MUCH lower.  Kitchen utensils which go into your food are a No for her as well.

I know so many people who love Dollar Stores, but I just wanted to point out some information that I know first hand since my sister deals with it everyday.

Honored Contributor

Re: the dollar store??

[ Edited ]

I go to the Dollar Tree for cards and gift bags in particular and I know a lot of people who get balloons for parties.  I was there in August and they were just putting out their fall decor.  I got some really cute items including some mini pumpkins, a couple of wooden signs and some metal owl yard stakes that I put in a couple of my potted mums.     

I don't buy food or beauty items from there ever and I don't buy garbage bags, tin foil, etc. because I find them really low quality.  The tin foil ripped as I was trying to wrap something and garbage bags got holes in them.

I don't care for Dollar General at all and I don't even find them to be cheaper then buying in a regular store, especially if I have a coupon.   

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife,  appreciate the info/heads up.

Honored Contributor

It depends on what you want, I love my trips to the dollar stores.  I always come out with a bunch of stuff I need but didn't know I needed when went in.  It was Fall dish towel/pot holder sets last time.  I bought a bunch of them, I'll use them right through Thanksgiving. I also got some other Fall decorator items.  I buy a lot of stuff there, with the exception of food items.  There are a lot of counterfeit foods around, the packages are almost indistinguishable from name brands.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

All our Dollar Tree stores are going thru "update & remodeling".  The nearest one is big (took over where Tuesday Morning was).

They are always neat & clean.  I normally buy cards, trinkets for my gd, themed paper things, etc. -- i never buy any food or health items.

Our Dollar General store in our area on the other hand is always messy & dirty.  

I guess it it depends on the manager & staff at the store(s). Same as other stores I go, ie, Macy's is always a mess☹️

I was just there picking up cards for Thanksgiving and they had the nicest display of Christmas dishes/servingware. 

My biggest problem with Dollar store is I never spend just a Dollar😉

Honored Contributor

the dollar stores we have around my town are 2.

dollar tree use to carry many items, but over the years have cut way back on clean supplies. that is where i would purchase my dusting sprays and some other general clean agents which were really good.

the dollar general we have has many items, limited selection of items, but can find good deals on laundry soaps and such, cleaning supplies selection is limited but still good.

just depends on what you are looking for.

Respected Contributor

People are naming Dollar Tree, Dollar General, etc., and I never paid attention what the "name" is of any that I go to.  I call them all the dollar store lol.  I didn't know they had different names like that!  

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife, if it goes in me or on me I will not buy it from a dollar store.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I buy certain things at the dollar tree store.  I have been shopping the dollar tree stores for many years... have not died yet  LOL!

Cards, tape, wrapping paper etc... type products...

I buy canned salmon, mackeral and sardines to give my dogs..

. I buy zip lock bags and such...

H2O2 for cleaning..

Last time I was there I found a really good name brand same  lipstick sold at CVS that is my FAVORITE LIP STICK NOW.  For a dollar... what a deal!

.  actually a lot of items that the regular stores carry  and charge triple for.  I go once every couple of months to stock up... it is fun and I save a lot of money! 

Honored Contributor

I am a fan of the Dollar Tree, we have many in my city, and everything is $1.00!  The other so called "dollar" stores are not for me, and sometimes they are over priced, and are always getting robbed, many in my area are out in the middle of nowhere!!!