Respected Contributor

Re: stress test - what can I expect

@dennylilly  Why are you asking poseters on a Shopping Channel Chat Room about their experiences?  Didn't your doctor give you a list of instructions and information?  Do you know who will be monitoring the testing while it's in progress?  Did you discuss your apprehension with him?  If you had other questions, why didn't you ask him?  Your doctor is the ONLY one who an answer your questions for you.  You are asking us about your heart and what the outcome could or could not be?  I just don't understand it. 

Honored Contributor

@dennylilly 

I have probably had 30+ treadmill stress tests. Much of what Protocols they use depends on your prescribing doctor. Could list many different types of Protocols, but they are far ranging in how they are performed, and for what specific purpose.

Is always better to find out what you are dealing with so it can be treated, if it is necessary. Yes, many Stress Tests can show one had no serious problems.

I wish you the best tomorrow.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@dennylilly  I had one years ago, but have refused any others as I found a test, heart ultrasound, that shows how the heart, etc, is working, no stress, no pain.

I don't need a stress test, I have enough stress in my life and the fact that I am still breathing, proves I can handle stress.  I do not understand why an older person has to undergo a stress test, no point in my opinion, one is pushed to the point of extreme stress for no reason, in my opinion.  

@mousiegirl 

There are several definitions of  the word "Stress". The way you are defining it has absolutely nothing to do with a "Treadmill Cardiovascular Stress Test". Not sure where you got the impression that this is a "Psychological Test", but you are missing the purpose of a "Physiological Stress Test".

The "Ultrasound(Echocardiogram) Procedure" shows the function of the heart's valves/Ejection Fraction etc. Unless done in conjunction with a "Treadmill Stress Test", it only shows your hearts function while "At Rest", not it's function when your heart rate is elevated, where potential problems are more likely to be seen.

Correlation: Test a car's engine while idling" as opposed to driving it at say 4,000 RPM. If that engine's internal components have a problem, which RPM is most likely to detect them? Buying any motor vehicle by sitting still at "idling speed"?  Tells you absolutely nothing.

Not much else to say if you think Mental Stress is the Same as Physiological Stress.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl 

As I mentioned in another thread, there are many different Protocols for Treadmill Stress Tests. What the prescribing doctor is looking at can decide which Protocol is used. As I also said, I have taken over 30+ Treadmill Stress Tests, and I did not want them to be "easy or a piece of cake".

My goal was to see how my Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Systems reacted when close to Maximum Heart Rate Beats Per Minute. To do otherwise, for me and my Cardiologist, would be both a waste of our time and money.  

Testing for Afib, depending on the type, is probably much different than a Maximal Treadmill Stress Test, which most of mine have been.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Regular Contributor

I'm sorry you have heart issues. I am a heart patient and it's no fun..I hope your stress test turned out well. Doing it on the treadmill is much easier than the one they do with an IV...I'm no able to do the treadmill so I have had the IV and it is scary and difficult for me. Let us know how yours turned out..Good luck

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@mousiegirl His doctor put him on this just a few weeks ago...it is a lot more expensive than what he was on before the Flecainide...but obviously it's ok if it works, but the new script threw him into the donut hole!!  

@Mom2Dogs   Flecainide is cheap for me, probably due to my insurance.  I hope it works for your DH.

The generic forms of this medication can be very reasonable. The branded drug can cost $400-500 for a 30 day supply.

I use Drugs.com to help find  more information about medications.  The site will show a photo, code numbers on pills, cost, possible side effects. and the history of the class of meds.

You may want to discuss with your DH doctor about options? 

Honored Contributor

@MaeE 

During my physically weakest time in 2016, I had the Nuclear Stress Test via IV, twice. As long as I stay physically able, ain't no way I will do that again. 

Like many others physically or mentally unable to do a treadmill stress test, this gives one's Cardiologist another method of seeing how the heart is functioning while not in a resting state.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@dennylilly  I had one years ago, but have refused any others as I found a test, heart ultrasound, that shows how the heart, etc, is working, no stress, no pain.

I don't need a stress test, I have enough stress in my life and the fact that I am still breathing, proves I can handle stress.  I do not understand why an older person has to undergo a stress test, no point in my opinion, one is pushed to the point of extreme stress for no reason, in my opinion.  

@mousiegirl 

There are several definitions of  the word "Stress". The way you are defining it has absolutely nothing to do with a "Treadmill Cardiovascular Stress Test". Not sure where you got the impression that this is a "Psychological Test", but you are missing the purpose of a "Physiological Stress Test".

The "Ultrasound(Echocardiogram) Procedure" shows the function of the heart's valves/Ejection Fraction etc. Unless done in conjunction with a "Treadmill Stress Test", it only shows your hearts function while "At Rest", not it's function when your heart rate is elevated, where potential problems are more likely to be seen.

Correlation: Test a car's engine while idling" as opposed to driving it at say 4,000 RPM. If that engine's internal components have a problem, which RPM is most likely to detect them? Buying any motor vehicle by sitting still at "idling speed"?  Tells you absolutely nothing.

Not much else to say if you think Mental Stress is the Same as Physiological Stress.

hckynut

@hckynut   I had the treadmill test and it was stressful.

Honored Contributor

If you are doing the manual stress test, it was the easiest thing I've ever done.  I was worked up about it for nothing. The worst part was the BP monitor being around my arm to inflate at intervals.  It left my arms bruised.

I hope everything works out well for you. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@ellaphant wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

And what medical school did you graduate from? An ultrasound is not a full diagnostic for heart disease, just FYI. 

I had an ultrasound followed by the stress test. They were used in conjunction with each other to check my heart.  One wasn't used in place of the other.