Honored Contributor

Re: "this and that" phrase I'm tired of.

Forgive me if I hurt anyones feelings and I am not sure why but the phrase or comment

"Enjoy!" gets on my nerves. It makes me feel like saying, maybe I will and maybe I won't! Or I will if I want to or Don't tell me what to do. Ridiculous I know, it just makes me feel rebellious plus its so overused.And I know people say it just to be nice or to close a thought. My sister said it today!

Also don't bash me but "I ain't." Is it said for emphasis? Or think it is cute? I don't know.

Also, "I done did the...."

I realize a lot of this goes on in the south, but I cringe.😬

And yes "class act." It seems to usually be said while insinuating that so many aren't whatever a class act really means.🙄

And my biggest is when someone says "The woman is..." or The woman can't even..." It is always said like a put down. Just say the persons name or use "she." I think this is something used by not the younger generation from my experience.

And one more. I never heard or learned from English teachers to say "these ones." When one of my daughter's said it I said you just say these and she said no "these ones."

I looked it up and sure enough, both are acceptable. Now I hear most especially younger people say these ones. To me it is redundant.

Ok thanks, I'm an official grouch today thanks for letting me get it all out!

And I'm sure a lot of what I say gets on peoples nerves too!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@Citrine1 wrote:

I say most of those phrases at one time or another.  I must be really annoying!

To be honest with you, I guess I'm just not a class act.  I do a little bit of this and that, but at the end of the day, I'm just not pulled together.  Oh well, it is what it is.  I've got to go do some housework and what not, but I'll be back soon.  You don't really care if I come back?  Whatever!

Gosh I feel the same way....just not so perfect...."I'm only human"...is that another irritating phrase?

Respected Contributor

Every time I read threads like this, I decide that I must be one of the most tolerant people around. (Just kidding) There are very few things that really drive me nuts, although it is like nails on a chalkboard to me when people pronounce (or write) "leggings" as "leggins," so I guess I get it!

Super Contributor

"Have a good one." A good what? Breakfast? Root canal? Bath?

Or when I say "thank you" and get "no problem" in return.

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

The phrase "tools in the toolbox" was clever at the beginning but has worn out its welcome with me.

@ValuSkr,

I never heard this one. Is it the same as "not the brightest tool in the shed?"

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@Citrine1 wrote:

I say most of those phrases at one time or another.  I must be really annoying!

To be honest with you, I guess I'm just not a class act.  I do a little bit of this and that, but at the end of the day, I'm just not pulled together.  Oh well, it is what it is.  I've got to go do some housework and what not, but I'll be back soon.  You don't really care if I come back?  Whatever!

@Citrine1, so funny! Well done. I guess we'll all be afraid to say anything annoying lol! But "whatever," "it is what it is!"

Respected Contributor

@qualitygal  My husband, who is not a great communicator, uses

an annoying phrase as filler. He will be telling me something and insert dat-da-da. To me that has no meaning. I heard people do that in the early 90's and I thought that it was stupid then.

Unfortunately he latched onto it and never gave it up.

Esteemed Contributor

Someone above mentioned the word "literally." That is a useless word and not needed.

I literally laughed out loud.
I laughed out loud.

I literally walked 5 miles.
I walked 5 miles.

It is literally a useless word.
It is a useless word.
My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi 

I guess I am just persnickety but when I hear that, I want to know, when is SOON?  Lol. Today, tomorrow when you get around to it.  Yes, that saying drives me nuts.

Respected Contributor

@qualitygal  At least you get a 3 word response.  I get " Stuff".

As far as " Enjoy!" goes, I don't mind a person saying it but I draw the line at my Microwave telling me to.