Esteemed Contributor

Re: please serious,honest answers only ,no bashing please

On 2/9/2015 GoodStuff said:

I wonder why you're renting apartments in your home to family members long-term "at reduced rents". Frankly, it sounds like you're housing dependent, manipulative moochers. Instead of worrying about whether you're invited to a party (which in reality you might not have enjoyed or chosen to attend, considering your age, bad winter weather, and your tendency to panic attacks), I'd be worrying about being used and disrespected by family members. Maybe it's time to change your living situation.......maybe put your big house on the market, tell the moochers it's time to rent their own places, and consider moving into a smaller apartment or perhaps a senior community.

That has been a consideration I am thinking about. I do not know where I got lost along the way,but I intend to start looking for me very soon. Thank you Smiley Happy

To be sure,it may sound mean but, I will no longer acknowledge anyones birthday from now on.

Trusted Contributor

On 2/9/2015 MalteseMomma said:
On 2/9/2015 GoodStuff said:

I wonder why you're renting apartments in your home to family members long-term "at reduced rents". Frankly, it sounds like you're housing dependent, manipulative moochers. Instead of worrying about whether you're invited to a party (which in reality you might not have enjoyed or chosen to attend, considering your age, bad winter weather, and your tendency to panic attacks), I'd be worrying about being used and disrespected by family members. Maybe it's time to change your living situation.......maybe put your big house on the market, tell the moochers it's time to rent their own places, and consider moving into a smaller apartment or perhaps a senior community.

That has been a consideration I am thinking about. I do not know where I got lost along the way,but I intend to start looking for me very soon. Thank you Smiley Happy

Good for you! You'll probably be happier if you get yourself set up in a place with services, security, transportation, and social opportunities with peers. If I were in my mid/late 70's and single, I'd certainly be looking at nice senior communities and wouldn't want the upkeep of a big house! Your relatives will be quite surprised to learn you aren't tied to them and plan to paddle your own canoe! It isn't too late for a whole new chapter!

Esteemed Contributor

Trusted Contributor

I hope you'll come back and let us know what you've found and your next steps. Best of luck!

Honored Contributor

I would definitely raise their rent! I would not like the fact that my family would deliberately not invite me and not even tell me about a party, it seems disrespectful and underhanded. They had to know you would eventually find out about it, but obviously didn't care about your feelings. whether or not you would have attended the party is irrelevant. Raise their rent!

Honored Contributor

I am so sorry for you. I hope that there is a resolution.

Super Contributor

If it were me, they would have an eviction notice by now. This is a serious answer and I am totally serious.

Honored Contributor

Yes, my walking friends and I were discussing this situation. We were thinking that you could very well move into a nice, friendly seniors development by selling your present home, and using that money for yourself. But, a word to the wise: Do not tell 'them' (those who live there with you) ahead of time, as it will only cause you more problems in the long run. Please believe me on this one.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

I think I would change it up a bit for your relatives. Don't let them block you in your own driveway each day, raise the rent, or better yet move and sell it!!! Start your own life again. You sound like a wonderful mother/grandmother to people who have taken advantage of. Make sure your will is in good standing where you can distribute your estate to whomever you wish. Good luck and keep us posted.

Honored Contributor

......there's so much more to this story. Obviously, there's a back story and problems in the family.