Esteemed Contributor

Re: how to know if you will have a bad winter or not

I've never heard of the cats. What I heard was: however high the weeds are in the field will indicate how much snow you'll get. Maybe in the olden days these theories played out; today, I'm not so sure.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Who needs the Weather Channel anymore?

Related image

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Or her.

Related image

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@shortbreadlover  Any tips for those of us in warmer climates

Image result for cat meme i love winter

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

I live in DFW North Texas. I've noticed the squirrels in a frenzy - they are gathering nuts from the property across the street, then running over to our property to bury them. Back and forth, back and forth all day long.

Respected Contributor

We live in Northern Wisconsin. We feed the squirrels, chipmunks, birds, and bunnies. The squirrels and chipmunks have been "squirreling away" peanuts and seeds like crazy for the past month. We've already had snow flurries. The trees changed earlier than usual also. We're expecting a miserable winter.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

@Yardlie, stay strong, you will get through it. Get the snowblower tuned up and always have plenty of gas in your vehicles. Doesn't hurt to have extra groceries and supplies on hand. 

@Yardlie wrote:

We live in Northern Wisconsin. We feed the squirrels, chipmunks, birds, and bunnies. The squirrels and chipmunks have been "squirreling away" peanuts and seeds like crazy for the past month. We've already had snow flurries. The trees changed earlier than usual also. We're expecting a miserable winter.

Honored Contributor

If it is a brutal winter, the heating bills will be sure to reflect it! Not looking forward to that. 

Respected Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@RedTop wrote:

More spider webs, and more spiders trying to get inside your house is also a sign of a bad winter.   

I've never heard this before, but just the other day my husband was commenting on how many spiders he's been seeing in the garage and right around the house lately.  A week ago it was hot enough to have the A/C on and then fall suddenly arrived a couple of days ago, so much so that we had to turn the heat on.  I'm going to watch and see if this theory pans out this winter.  

@JeanLouiseFinch  I have heard about the spiders but more so the caterpillars - for caterpillars the furrier they are the colder your winter.  I'm about 50 miles south of DC and our weather has been all over the map the last few years.  This was a very wet summer (very rare) and weather was very pretty the last two weeks and 2 days ago - - autumn came in full force and it's very chilly now.  Every year winter is a toss up here - who knows how that will be!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RetRN ... I know what you mean about the heating bills. We have solar panels that help somewhat and a fireplace, but fireplaces are such a mess to clean up.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli