Honored Contributor

Re: how to know if you will have a bad winter or not

Most winters we don't get too many snow days, but we get two to three feet at a time and everything comes to a halt.

When the streets are cleared off, there is no place to put the snow.  It is loaded into trucks and taken to empty lots.  Sometimes it takes months for those snow hills in the lots to melt.

Esteemed Contributor

Every winter is bad in PA.snowy winter.jpg

Honored Contributor

@shortbreadlover

Florida doesn’t have bad winters; we have bad summers! This is where people come after doing their calculations and deciding their northern winter is going to be bad....

Honored Contributor

More spider webs, and more spiders trying to get inside your house is also a sign of a bad winter.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When our ski resorts open earlier than usual...woo-hoo!

Respected Contributor

My husband hunts and we find the fat covering on the birds/deer is a very good indication of whats to come. 

Respected Contributor

@shortbreadlover wrote:

there is an old legend that can tell how back your winter will be.

it is as follows.

when it snow enough to track a cat, (printws in the snow), take the date ie oct 4 and add that date to the age of the moon.  so if the moon is 10days old( from the date of the new moon) add that number to the date and total is the number of snow falls thatyou have in your area.  so if it snowed on oct 4 and the moon is 10 days old, you add them together and get a total of 14.  i have done this for years and it is usually right on or maybe a number off.

It was 78 degrees today.

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

It seldom snows here in the PNW. 

@DiAnne  Yes.....Thank goodness!

Super Contributor

not sure where you live in PNW but I lived in the suburbs of Seattle for 30 plus years and we had at least 2 snowfalls a year and sometimes more- the folks up in Everett or Bellingham would sure argue with you about not having any snow much

Honored Contributor

@arizona babe wrote:

not sure where you live in PNW but I lived in the suburbs of Seattle for 30 plus years and we had at least 2 snowfalls a year and sometimes more- the folks up in Everett or Bellingham would sure argue with you about not having any snow much

Not anymore.  I live across the Lake from Seattle.