Esteemed Contributor

Re: have you ever won anything

I consider this winning, yet I worked hard for it.  At age 72 I competed with people many, many years younger than me for a chance to get a scholarship and give the Valedictorian speech at the college where I was graduating   After giving a preview of my speech before the committee, I received a call the next day, I WON.  We had to be on the Deans Honor List to compete.  That was quite an achevment for me, because so many of my elderly friends mocked me for going back to school.  Asked me if I didn't feel silly with all the young people there. 

I enjoyed it and being around the young.  I kept my mind young.  In turn, they learned a lot from me and my era.  Also, some of our books on history in the 50's were not exactly correct.  It was fun.  Also a couple of the women in the audience came up to me, told me they were in their 50's, wanted to go to the university, but felt too old.  They said, my speech and me encouraged them to go ahead with their plans.

My speech was titled, "NO AGE LIMIT".

Honored Contributor

I won a window.  We were at a fair and had to guess how much paper money was blowing around in a machine. I was notified at a later date that I had guessed it!  We moved many years ago from the house we put the window in. 

Trusted Contributor

My sister in law"s sister won a new york lottery....she would't tell me how much, just said "Oh just a few millions, not much" ( we don't talk much)