Honored Contributor

Re: hard to find items for some

[ Edited ]

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

@LindaSal  @Imaoldhippie  I've been making my own disinfectant & wipes.Very easy.Just mix one part alcohol, at least 60%, to two parts warm water.Add a little liquid dish soap & mix. You can then pour the mix into a spray bottle or a zip lock bag/ plastic container & add good quality paper towels until they absorb the liquid.

But the problem is rubbing alcohol and dish soap is also scarce as is bleach.... Smiley Sad

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Frequent Contributor

@bunnygirlbrem wrote:

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

@LindaSal  @Imaoldhippie  I've been making my own disinfectant & wipes.Very easy.Just mix one part alcohol, at least 60%, to two parts warm water.Add a little liquid dish soap & mix. You can then pour the mix into a spray bottle or a zip lock bag/ plastic container & add good quality paper towels until they absorb the liquid.

If you do this, you need to use greater than 60% alcohol, because once you dilute it with water it is no longer strong enough to kill the virus. The way this is described (one part alcohol and two parts water), the alcohol content is only 20%.

Also, if you use bleach, once you dilute it it is ineffective after 24 hours. So mixing bleach and water in a bottle or a container for homemade wipes won't kill anything.

Respected Contributor

@Grouchomarx 

LOL I don't know what's available in ND, either.

We're in upstate NY, and it's the smaller stores here which continue to be stocked with merchandise still not available at large supermarkets or big box stores.

If you have some of those smaller stores in your area, it might be worth it to give them a try, regardless of what you're hearing..

What worries you masters you.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Spurt 

No bleach? It's abundant here. 

I have to say, these regional differences have been eye-opening--and onerous, I'm sure, for those affected.

Now, rice has virtually disappeared around here. I'm finding that to be the case with a number of random food items.

What worries you masters you.
Trusted Contributor

We can find pretty much everything in our area (La.). Don't understand this but can find white meat chicken and whole chicken but dark meat is only available in packs of legs and thighs. No frozen or fresh boneless thighs. Also have not been able to find hand wipes. Like to keep these in the car and we're out. I was well stocked up on cleaning supplies so I'm good there. I did notice they are still scarce here. Was all out of tuna and that is finally back.

On another note, Sam's has completely redone the store and I can't find anything there.

Honored Contributor

@Moonlady wrote:

@Spurt 

I have to say, these regional differences have been eye-opening--and onerous, I'm sure, for those affected.

Now, rice has virtually disappeared around here. I'm finding that to be the case with a number of random food items.

@Moonlady 

No rice, pasta, or soup either.....  

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I find boxed to be very limited in anything I search for, ever. 

Not impressed in the least. 

Was it better before Covid? And it's not just the usual hard to find things right now, but I can't find most of what I search for there, even a few months ago before this started. 

Trusted Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Moonlady wrote:

@Spurt 

@Moonlady 

No rice, pasta, or soup either.....  

I live in Wisconsin, and when the virus first started to spread here at the beginning of March, rice was one of the first products that became difficult to find.

Any kind of rice was selling out in the supermarkets. 

Now I am seeing long-grain white rice in the stores, but if you like instant white rice, it is still difficult--if not impossible--to locate.

We have pasta, but the selections and choices are limited. The same with egg noodles. If you like a certain type or brand, you'll have to use whatever you find in the stores.