Respected Contributor

@catter70 wrote:

Today is garbage pickup. I went out about an hour ago to put more garbage in my can and I looked down next to the can and someone had left a store plastic bag of trash next to the can which I then had to get what had fallen out of the bag back into it and into the can (I had on gloves). What an idiot. Why couldn't they just lift the lid on my can and deposit the garbage instead of just sitting it on the street next to the can? 

There will always be people like that, unfortunately for us. Our garbage is picked up twice a week. Since you probably put your can out the night before, maybe you should just wait until that morning. It's worth the trouble. It might deter people from dumping their garbage where it doesn't belong.

Respected Contributor

@Cats3000 wrote:

Why did you feel obligated to go pick it up?  I certainly wouldn't.  I'm sure the garbage men would have done that when they made their rounds.

around here they would have tacked on $5 to your bill for the extra bag next to the can.

Honored Contributor

@kittyloo wrote:

@Cats3000 wrote:

Why did you feel obligated to go pick it up?  I certainly wouldn't.  I'm sure the garbage men would have done that when they made their rounds.

around here they would have tacked on $5 to your bill for the extra bag next to the can.

Yes, same here.  They charge us $5 more also  even if the lid is open because the trash can   extra full! 

Honored Contributor

Wow. Our guys are super nice. They don't care if the lid is open because the can is full or any other weird thing.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

i am glad i can put out one can, one bag, or ten cans, or ten bags and they will all get taken! i had a lot of trash last week after doing some "purging."

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

A couple of years ago my city went to issued bins.  One bin for regular trash and one bin for recycling.  We have yard waste pick-up and those go in your own cans and have to be clearly marked as yard waste.  That is all you are allowed to use.  You have to put everything in one of those bins. If you put out a random bag, it will not get picked up.

If you leave anything on the ground, it will not get taken.  There is one person per truck and the trucks have an arm.  The arm comes out, grabs the various bins, dumps them and slams the bins back down.  If stuff falls out, it gets left for the homeowners to clean up.  

We have 1 day a month that is bulk pick-up and you can put larger items out in other bags, outside of the bins.  Again, they won't pick up small stuff that is lying on the ground.  Stuff has to be bagged.  

Yesterday was extremely windy in our area.  There was a lot of trash blowing around because of it.  Peoples' bins blew over and there went the trash from inside. 

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Wow. Our guys are super nice. They don't care if the lid is open because the can is full or any other weird thing.

We a green can for garden stuff, a blue one for recycling, and a black one for everything else. But if we have boxes or anything that is too big, we just leave them next to the cans and they take them

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Valued Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD Thank you for writing  this for me. If I didn't do what you do, my alley would be a disgusting landfill. Tomorrow is the once a week city truck pick up day and I will be up early, hopefully before the truck arrives, to perform my last "sweep" of the alley. My mother used to say, sarcastically I think, that "you'll get your reward in Heaven." With my attitude, I may not make it that far.