Respected Contributor

Re: coffee makers

[ Edited ]

OP.  I went to amazon and looked at reviews on your coffeemaker.  67 percent liked it.  Seems low to me.  Here is a review I saw and am sharing it.

Keurig K250

I bought this because I was under the assumption it was able to brew 9 different size cups. That's not quite true. Currently, at the time of this review, there are only options to brew coffee for 4, 6, 8, 10. Typically, at least with my old Vue brewer, I made a 12oz cup every morning. However the instructions say that FUTURE kcups will allow the machine to brew 12 and 14 oz as well. It seems this is borderline false advertising.

My second biggest issue, I knew this when I bought it, is that the engineers/managers have decided to insert an optical sensor which reads the top circumference of the K-cup and identifies it as such. This locks you into the keurig k-cup product, in lieu of a trader joe's k-cup for example. A business practice that really just makes me laugh and gives me a little project to work on. Here is how you bypass that optical sensor. It took me about 15 mins.
1. Purchase a Keurig K-cup.
2. Peel off the top foil
3. Cut out an approximate 45-90 degree portion (see picture)
4. Tape this portion to the underside of the optical sensor. Be careful to get the correct orientation. It may take several attempts. I installed the foil using tweezers with scotch tape. I'm sure with the condensation buildup it will eventually fall off, but revision two I'll make it more secure

Another review.

What I discovered after I bought it.
1. Louder by far then my old Keurig.
2. Can't turn it off between brews, unless you unplug it.
3. Had to buy new "fill your own pod" cups so that they fit.
4. Makes a very good cup of coffee.
5. Should have read more reviews, I may have not bought it.

another review

I love the concept. It's a pretty machine. But I'm not a heavy user and the needle clogs all the time. I've had it about six weeks and after about 15 cups have needed to clean it 3 times. You can't take the needle part out like other Keurig's, so you're left trying to get water to force out all the pent up grounds. I now run two or three cups of hot water after every brew to keep it from clogging. Worse is that my spouse likes tea, but not coffee, and if we aren't on top of it his tea ends up with a funky coffee taste from the clogged ground

This Keurig model seemed nice at first, but quickly showed too many problems to be deemed worth the money. The first problem is that in order to fill the reservoirs, you must remove the reservoir from the rear of the unit, which can be difficult in situations where this unit is stored under a cabinet shelf. The second major problem that I have with it is that every time I make a cup of coffee, coffee always splatters onto the area around the Keurig. This may be because the dispenser literally spits out the coffee from the unit rather than pouring out a steady stream of coffee. Finally, I believe that I remember in a previous model, I could hit a button to start brewing even if the unit was warming up, which would queue the command for execution later on. Now, if the unit is warming up (which can take about two minutes), you have to sit there and wait for it to warm up instead of giving it a set of commands that it could queue and process once the warm up was complete. In conclusion, I would not recomend this specific version; get an earlier version. While this version will perform its function, it simply does not do it well

Honored Contributor

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

OP.  I went to amazon and looked at reviews on your coffeemaker.  67 percent liked it.  Seems low to me.  Here is a review I saw and am sharing it.

I bought this because I was under the assumption it was able to brew 9 different size cups. That's not quite true. Currently, at the time of this review, there are only options to brew coffee for 4, 6, 8, 10. Typically, at least with my old Vue brewer, I made a 12oz cup every morning. However the instructions say that FUTURE kcups will allow the machine to brew 12 and 14 oz as well. It seems this is borderline false advertising.

My second biggest issue, I knew this when I bought it, is that the engineers/managers have decided to insert an optical sensor which reads the top circumference of the K-cup and identifies it as such. This locks you into the keurig k-cup product, in lieu of a trader joe's k-cup for example. A business practice that really just makes me laugh and gives me a little project to work on. Here is how you bypass that optical sensor. It took me about 15 mins.
2. Peel off the top foil
4. Tape this portion to the underside of the optical sensor. Be careful to get the correct orientation. It may take several attempts. I installed the foil using tweezers with scotch tape. I'm sure with the condensation buildup it will eventually fall off, but revision two I'll make it more secure

Another review.

another review

I love the concept. It's a pretty machine. But I'm not a heavy user and the needle clogs all the time. I've had it about six weeks and after about 15 cups have needed to clean it 3 times. You can't take the needle part out like other Keurig's, so you're left trying to get water to force out all the pent up grounds. I now run two or three cups of hot water after every brew to keep it from clogging. Worse is that my spouse likes tea, but not coffee, and if we aren't on top of it his tea ends up with a funky coffee taste from the clogged ground

This Keurig model seemed nice at first, but quickly showed too many problems to be deemed worth the money. The first problem is that in order to fill the reservoirs, you must remove the reservoir from the rear of the unit, which can be difficult in situations where this unit is stored under a cabinet shelf. The second major problem that I have with it is that every time I make a cup of coffee, coffee always splatters onto the area around the Keurig. This may be because the dispenser literally spits out the coffee from the unit rather than pouring out a steady stream of coffee. Finally, I believe that I remember in a previous model, I could hit a button to start brewing even if the unit was warming up, which would queue the command for execution later on. Now, if the unit is warming up (which can take about two minutes), you have to sit there and wait for it to warm up instead of giving it a set of commands that it could queue and process once the warm up was complete. In conclusion, I would not recomend this specific version; get an earlier version. While this version will perform its function, it simply does not do it well

The review you posted is not for the machine the OP decided to purchase. The review you posted is for the new 2.0 Keurigs. The review constantly references "previous" Keurig models and describes the *new* K-cup reader technology.  The machine the OP is purchasing is made by Cuisinart, not Keurig, and is the same as the original top of the line Keurig. 

It does indeed brew 12 oz cups. I have one.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I looked for days,on different sites at reviews, had hard time making the choice,but i will let you know how i like it.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We have the Keurig 250 in Orange Zest..  we have that one to travel with, plus a mini Keurig and a regular size.  Only issue we have with the 250 is only being able to use all type K-cups with it but when we travel we always take bunches of K cups that we know will work.  So far so good on keeping the normal size one pretty clean, from time to time I give it a bath with hot, spoapy water..

Hope you find the one you want, @goldensrbest.

(modified my post as Keurig cups fit the 250 but not all types do) 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SuzieGarnet wrote:

We have the Keurig 250 in Orange Zest..  we have that one to travel with, plus a mini Keurig and a regular size.  Only issue we have with the 250 is only being able to use Keurig cups with it but when we travel we always take bunches of K cups that we know will work.  So far so good on keeping the normal size one pretty clean, from time to time I give it a bath with hot, spoapy water..

Hope you find the one you want, @goldensrbest.

@Suziepeach, you might want to try out San Francisco Bay Coffee K-cups in the 250. If you buy current ones, either from their website (they have samplers too), Costco or your local supermarket, they work in the 250. Also read about the Freedom Clip on the SF Bay website.  ETA their k-cups are 98% biodegradeable.

Honored Contributor

If you are a true coffee connoisseur and really enjoy a good cup of coffee, I'd recommend Nespresso machines. Also, they recycle all the pods for free, completely 100% recyclable, unlike the Keurig pods which are becoming a environmental issue, if that matters to you.

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde, thank you so very much for that wonderful suggestion.  I'll be sure and check that out.  I don't believe we've tried the San Francisco Bay coffee, we generally get Starbuck's from our local BJ's. Gosh I'm glad I posted on this thread & thanks again!! 

I must admit I didn't pay much attention to the enclosed paperwork, LOL   Now I will.. 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

After days of comparing prices, reviews, i have a cusinart ss-700,on the way,really had a tough time making a choice.

@goldensrbest I have a Cuisinart also. I used the larger one, the one you ordered, for four years. A couple of years ago I bought another one, but this time I got the smaller one that requires filling for each cup. I've been very happy with both. What made me choose Cuisinart was the three year warranty compared to the one year warranty offered by Keurig. I've never needed it, but it's nice to have for peace of mind. I hope you enjoy your purchase! 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Moonchilde wrote:

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

2. Peel off the top foil

Another review.

another review

The review you posted is not for the machine the OP decided to purchase. The review you posted is for the new 2.0 Keurigs. The review constantly references "previous" Keurig models and describes the *new* K-cup reader technology.  The machine the OP is purchasing is made by Cuisinart, not Keurig, and is the same as the original top of the line Keurig. 

No this was for the unit the OP was asking for:  You can read the reviews from the list below, where I got them from.

Keurig K250 2.0 Brewing System, Black

Price:To see our price, add this item to your cart. You can always remove it later. Why?
 FREE Shipping. Details

In Stock.
Honored Contributor

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

2. Peel off the top foil

Another review.

another review

No this was for the unit the OP was asking for:  You can read the reviews from the list below, where I got them from.

Keurig K250 2.0 Brewing System, Black

Price:To see our price, add this item to your cart. You can always remove it later. Why?
 FREE Shipping. Details

In Stock.

Ahh, I see - you were responding to the original post and had not seen where the original poster had said she'd decided on and purchased an entirely different machine.