Esteemed Contributor

I had both eyes done, not the same day, in 2014.  The only part of it that is bothersome is having to deal with the drops.  Other than that it was, as others have said, easy peasy.  Don't waste time worrying, I am sure you will be fine, lots of luck and let us know the outcome.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

You mean blade vs. laser? DH had the blade type. Fast, easy, no pain.

Honored Contributor
I need to have a cataract in my left eye removed but have been putting it off...it is starting to bother me now and I am more aware of it. Still trying to figure out the cost, can’t get a straight answer from Humana or Medicare
Esteemed Contributor

Just want to thank everyone who posted here.  I've been putting off the surgery for a year, yup, I'm a coward.  But reading all your encouraging posts has really helped. You are the best!!💗

Oh and thanks to the OP for the thread.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

I am 64 and had very premature contracts on both eyes, first eye was done when I was 38 and second eye I was about 42.

From what I can recall the first eye was pretty easy, very little swelling or bruising and the second seemed more intense, blurry vision for several days.

The post of was a series of drops and in eye shield I think the post op is pretty much the same these days

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: cataract surgery

[ Edited ]

@SharkE wrote:

I'm having it done in Oct. please don't post any thing in here that

will spook me I have to wait till DH retires in Oct so I can have help

getting there and back.

Dont' want to ask anybody for help sooner, I'll just make it till Oct.

@SharkE   Don't worry about it.  I don't know how old you are, but I am 80, had it done in May.  One eye at a time, a week apart.  I could wear my own sunglasses and didn't have to use any drops after.  Everything was so much brighter.

However, give yourself time to heal.  I am so impatient.  But after reading that to give yourself 6-8 weeks to heal completely, I calmed down.  I wore my sunglasses to be on the computer for several weeks.  It was too bright.  Drove the next day to my follow up appts and wherever.

The drops they use to dilate and numb your eyes are okay.  I just hate that dilation, but of course it goes away.  You feel nothing.  They did give me Versed, in an IV.  Good luck!  You will be glad you did it! 

Esteemed Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
I need to have a cataract in my left eye removed but have been putting it off...it is starting to bother me now and I am more aware of it. Still trying to figure out the cost, can’t get a straight answer from Humana or Medicare

@lovesrecess   Ask the Dr office how much it will be.  They will look it up for you.  I put mine off for a while because I just couldn't talk myself into it.  However, I did go to the surgeon to have mine evaluated and at the time they told me it would be $250 per eye.  It took me another visit to finally decide to do it.  That included all the followup and even the Optometrist visit.

Don't put it off.  I am becoming an advocate for cataract surgery.

Honored Contributor

@SharkE You are talking to the biggest chicken on the planet!  Especially EYE stuff!

I have had both of mine done.  And really it was nothing. I got Valium when I got to the hospital and they took me back and the party was on.  I didn't mind the IV's which I HATE.

They took me into the OR awake, I talked to everybody there including the doctor, then they sort of put me out, but I could hear most of what they said.  I could not see anything, nor did I feel ANYTHING.  Nothing.  I was aware of the talk and that they were doing something, but I was three sheets to the wind, out some, but never distressed.

I had an MRI once and was more distressed at that.

When it was over, they brought me out some of the anesthesia, I was awake when they wheeled me out of the OR and I could SEE better already.  I never had any pain or even much discomfort to speak of.

My dr gave me a folder of stuff before the operation.  She had ALL the information and any questions you might have answered there; a bag of the drops for you; an eye guard for the first night or two; and a complete chart for the drops.  There were 2 kinds and a lot of them afterward.  She is VERY thorough and yes you DO have a lot of drops with her.  NO fooling around!

I went back the next day for a check-up, and again a week later, and then a month later for final check and glasses prescription--although it just sharpens my distant vision a tad and makes reading better.

She was shocked I'd heard some things during the surgery and I didn't the next time!  Ha ha!  But neither time was I uncomfortable or in any pain.  And it went SO fast!  My husband was really shocked the first time how fast it was.  He said he barely got coffee and sat down until the dr. came out.

It is a miracle!  

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:

Medicare covers 80% you or your supplement will pay for the 20%

Medicare Part B deductible is 185.00.

I got MUtual of OMaha Plan F they pay my deductible, so, I shouldn't have to pay nothing.  If you don't have a supplement you'll have to pay the deductible and the 20% that Medicare doesn't pick up.

I'll have to pay for glasses if I need readers after they're gone.

Trusted Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

I'm having it done in Oct. please don't post any thing in here that

will spook me I have to wait till DH retires in Oct so I can have help

getting there and back.

Dont' want to ask anybody for help sooner, I'll just make it till Oct.

I had cataract surgery on both eyes when I had my corneal transplants, first eye in March and the second eye in September of 2018. My surgeon puts you under for the first 5 minutes (twilight) so he can do the corneal transplant, then does the cataract removal (laser) when you are awake, but your eye is numb so you don't feel a thing (I saw a pretty light show while the surgery was going on and could see nothing out of my good eye so you can't see what the doctor is doing). Then they put in a new lens. I have a genetic eye disease of the cornea and put off my surgery way too long because I was scared. The surgery was so easy and painless, but I risked my vision in one eye by waiting so long. The whole process is easier and less painful (I never had pain during or after either surgery) than a flu shot and only takes a few minutes. Way less stressful than going to the dentist. It's the paperwork and pre-op that takes an hour or so. Just be sure that your doctor specializes in cataract removal and has a good reputation and track record. Do your research, but do not delay because you are afraid. Also, I am not married so I had a friend take me both times and a different friend take me the next day to the post-op appointment in the doctor's office. You can't drive yourself, but you will be fully awake afterward and able to walk to the car, etc. Hope this helps.Smiley Happy