Esteemed Contributor

Oh for Pete's Sake It's Too Late Now!!

Heavens, my sister retired March 1st.  All she talked about from November when she told her employer, was "I can't wait til March 1st".  Her health is terrible, diabetes, congestive heart failure. her legs swelled horribly.  She couldn't work anymore, period.

Tonight she announced she shouldn't have retired. She hates being home, no adult conversation etc. Her DH's idea of retirement is sitting in front of the tv and conversation is "what's the weather".  Did she think he would suddenly become chatty Charlie?  Hello, have you met your husband, he's always been like that.

Every suggestion I made for volunteering was met with a reason why she couldn't.  Yikes!

Yes, she has limits due to health issues by there has to be something she can do.

I don't know what to tell her. Ok, I feel better after venting.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Oh for Pete's Sake It's Too Late Now!!

That must be a very hard transition, so I would try to be as kind as possible to her.  She will figure out someth ing for herself over tme. You really can't fix someone else's problem for them. That's just a fact of life.

Honored Contributor

Family can asways drive us crazy.  If she won’t listen, move on.

It’s not like she’s going to change now, sounds like.  You can’t let her drive you crazy...I’ve been there ( with family).

Respected Contributor

Please cut her some slack.  How is she suppose to volunteer anywhere with horribly swollen legs and congestive heart failure?

I lost a beloved sister to diabetic complications and congestive heart failure almost two years ago.  Would give anything to have her back.  

Trusted Contributor

Is this the same Sister you wanted to move to be closer to her a few months ago?

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

You are both making a life transition at this time.

I’m sure you can be helpful to one another.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2   Yikes!  Yet another relative you are irritated with?  If you I would just try to concentrate on what's going on in your own life and not try to get so involved in their issues.

It sounds like it is very stressful for you, which you don't need to be dealing with.  So sorry for you! 

Respected Contributor

Please have a little sympathy for your sister. She is having difficulty transitioning to her new life. She is lonely.  She is bored.  

Suggesting volunteer jobs when she had to retire because of ill health doesn't help her at all.

You had a big change in your life and now she has. I am sure you had many sympathetic and understanding ears. Try to do the same for your own sister.

Esteemed Contributor

I am not retired but I have several friends who are, including my aunt. Every single one of them had a plan. They travel, volunteer, One is working on her Doctorate. To just retire and do nothing would be the height of boredom which is why she is driving herself and you crazy. She does seem to have several medical issues, but perhaps your sister could find something that is of interest to her that could get her out of the house at least twice a week for a few hours each day.

Honored Contributor

Retirement is hard for some to get used to, but you do settle into it in time. I retired young and 15 years before my husband did, but I did have work to do on our farm. I didn't have health problems at the time and had plenty to keep busy with. My husband retired 3 years ago,  but still works as a substitute math teacher and he's really up there in age. Your Sis will get used to it, too bad you have to listen to her complain while she does.