Trusted Contributor

I had both eyes done 4 months ago. A month between each separate eye surgery. The surgery is quick and I experienced no pain. I had to have my blood sugar checked by pinprick....THAT was the most pain I had at the surgery! LOL!

Of course, you'll be nervous. It's surgery. But it's worth doing, quick and pain free. I could hardly see to drive at night before and now can drive safely. Also, I wore glasses or contacts all my life for nearsightedness. No more glasses needed except for reading.

The eye drop routine is annoying but I just set up a schedule for myself and got it done. My eyes felt great after the first few days of drops. I hated to give them up after the second surgery. As they were prescription I had to of course.

Oh yes, two drawbacks. After the surgery you will see much more clearly....I never knew I had as many wrinkles as I do and that there were cobwebs in my ceiling corners I never noticed at all!!

Good luck, let us know how you do.

Candy

Honored Contributor

As far as I know, all cataract surgery is 'invasive', i.e., scalpel vs. laser, bt I'm not a Dr.

I had both eyes done via laser 10 years ago and it was so easy and I was amazed at what I had NOT been seeing, not clearly anyway!

Absolutely no reason to worry and my Dr. offered a Xanax for the night before so I would sleep well and not be dreading it.

Let us know how happy you are after you have it done!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I got a friend who is same age as me (67) and she had it done 7 yrs ago she recommended her Dr. to me.

Seeing black floaters when I look into bright sunshine thinking they're bugs LOL comes and goes.  So tired of having up close glasses at every spot in house I want my eyes back from back when. I can see far off better then anybody, but, up close forget about it. It's all a blur and fuzzy. Have to wear glasses on a chain when I go to the store. don't like that makes me look old

LOL

DH said "you'll still have to have glasses to read with". Medicare and my supplement will pay 100% for it. I'll probably have to pay for readers.

Think you can only have it done once, right ?  Why they want you to put it off till your up in yrs.  Although, some people I've read has the things when they're young. How awful

Respected Contributor

I had a cataract that developed very rapidly in one eye as a result of having surgery to fixed a detached retina, and believe me, caratact surgery is a complete non-event.

No shots in my eye. No sedative. I refused it. Didn't need or want it, and when the bill came, I refused to pay the charge for the insertion of the IV that I didn't need for the sedative I didn't have (they reversed it). 

I'm extremely allergic to all numbing agents in the "ester" family, which is every one of the drops used for cataract surgery. So, they just flooded my eye with lidocaine and went for it. I felt a slight pinch and that was it. 15 minutes and it was over. I drove myself to the follow up appointment the next morning. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

have never heard of 2 choices.

had my surg in 03 and 04. all I was told lenses would be chosen for me. what I do remember is the doctor had to find lenses that didn't let in much light. something about my eyes,the cateract lenses i had in my eyes had very limited amount of light let in. OH goodness I wish I could explain it better.

to this day still have problems with daylight. I have to wear super dark sunglasses and still very hard to see during daylight hours especially on bright sunny days. 

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

I got a friend who is same age as me (67) and she had it done 7 yrs ago she recommended her Dr. to me.

Seeing black floaters when I look into bright sunshine thinking they're bugs LOL comes and goes.  So tired of having up close glasses at every spot in house I want my eyes back from back when. I can see far off better then anybody, but, up close forget about it. It's all a blur and fuzzy. Have to wear glasses on a chain when I go to the store. don't like that makes me look old

LOL

DH said "you'll still have to have glasses to read with". Medicare and my supplement will pay 100% for it. I'll probably have to pay for readers.

Think you can only have it done once, right ?  Why they want you to put it off till your up in yrs.  Although, some people I've read has the things when they're young. How awful

@SharkE 

I'm almost 66 and I had to have mine done in my early 50's.

I'm a blued eyed blonde that's lived on beaches on one coast or another for most of my life.

Lying in the sun, even with your eyes closed, takes it's toll.

After my surgery, my vision is 20/25, due to astigmatism, but I just buy readers (1.5) in the needlework dept. at Michaels, $3.00 a pair.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

I had mine done last year . I choose laser because I told the doctor I wanted the best vision I could buy. I got rid of my astigmatism, got multi focal lenses and now see 20/15. No readers needed. I had been wearing glasses for 50 years and had 20/800 or worse vision. They stopped telling me how bad my vision was. I couldn’t even see the E on the wall before surgery. 

Frequent Contributor

Had laser version on left eye and the "traditional type (cutting?) "on the right eye.  No problems either way and instant clear vision.  Went back about a year later .for a so-called "touch-up" on the left eye which is a non-invasive 30 second  laser treatment to remove tissue buildup which is not unusual.  No pain on any procedure and  heavenly clear vision!!

Honored Contributor

Thanks for all replys ! One has to do what one has to do. i want to do it while I'm still mobile, and husband is alive, and Medicare picks up the bill

Honored Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

I had mine done last year . I choose laser because I told the doctor I wanted the best vision I could buy. I got rid of my astigmatism, got multi focal lenses and now see 20/15. No readers needed. I had been wearing glasses for 50 years and had 20/800 or worse vision. They stopped telling me how bad my vision was. I couldn’t even see the E on the wall before surgery. 

@Meowingkitty  What a wonderful outcome!