Frequent Contributor

I AM HAVING CATARACT SURGERY IN A COUPLE OF WEEKS.  I CHOSE TO HAVE THE INVASIVE VERSUS THE NONINVASIVE.  CAN ANYONE OUT THERE VOICE THEIR COMMENTS ABOUT EITHER OR?  THANK YOU!

Regular Contributor

I am a nurse, and recently had cataract surgery.  I have never heard of my choices labelled invasive or non-invasive.  What is the difference?

Honored Contributor

I am a Healtchcare Information specialst and coder;  I have never heard of thos terms when speaking about cataract surgery.  Are you asking about Traditional cataract surgery vs laser cataract surgery?  

Honored Contributor

It was super super easy and they are gone. I don’t how, but I think maybe laser.

Respected Contributor

@little missy wrote:

I AM HAVING CATARACT SURGERY IN A COUPLE OF WEEKS.  I CHOSE TO HAVE THE INVASIVE VERSUS THE NONINVASIVE.  CAN ANYONE OUT THERE VOICE THEIR COMMENTS ABOUT EITHER OR?  THANK YOU!

I don't know what your talking about, but I had lasur surgery, and really if your worried, it's a piece of cake. It's not something to worry about. With the lazur, I had no drops, wore dark cheap sun glasses they gave me, could not shower [get water in my eye},for a day went back the next week had the other eye done. Sometimes the worry is worse that the actual procedure. Do  what your Dr thinks is best, never heard of having a choice. Tell us when it's done how it went. I wish you good luck.

Respected Contributor

Re: cataract surgery

[ Edited ]

Why the heck are you asking here?  This is nuts.  Even if I had comments, I wouldn't make them.  Evefry person is different and their bodies may react differently to the same procedure.  Any comment by anyone could offer information that would be irrelevant for you and lead you in the wrong direction.

If you want good information, go to the medlineplus.gov website.  Read all of what's descdribed there.  It'll describe what's done and what happens in general terms.  THEN take the information to your surgeon and discuss it with him so that he can apply it to you.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had cataract surgery in 2018.  They never called it invasive or not.  They numbed  the eye with lots of drops....gave me a shot in the lower eye that put the eye to sleep...could not see out of it or move it.....and then did the surgery that took about  15 minutes.

No laser. It was only uncomfortable when they gave me the shot.....but nothing an adult can not deal with. 

Honored Contributor

I'm having it done in Oct. please don't post any thing in here that

will spook me I have to wait till DH retires in Oct so I can have help

getting there and back.

Dont' want to ask anybody for help sooner, I'll just make it till Oct.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SharkE. It's easy surgery, don't freak out.  As others have said, it's a piece of cake

Esteemed Contributor

Easy Peasy!  I had it done about 10 years ago and it was a simple procedure back then.  I had an IV to administer the anesthesia to knock me out....actually, I think it was to put you in lala land but you don't/won't remember anything.  I could have, very easily, driven home but, of course, I didn't.  I was in recovery for maybe an hour or so and then we left and immediately went out for breakfast afterwards

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown