Honored Contributor

When she was very young, our grand niece said they went to Our Lady of Mount Car-a-mel Church.

Honored Contributor

@shoptilyadropagain wrote:

Image result for abbotts caramels

Abbott's Caramels from Hagerstown, Indiana.

I believe you can order them from their web site but they're sold mostly to groups/organizations for fundraisers.  

Oh, from my home state,i want to say in Evansville,in.,there is a shop that makes candy ,love the pecan turtles they make,expensive but just great,Libs.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I like Reisen's dark chocolate covered caramels.  They come in a brown bag at any food store, each caramel individually wrapped.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@Sammijo10 wrote:

I'm always intrigued by the different regional procunciations of the same item.

I was always told that CarMEL was a place (as in CA or NY), but that carAmel was the candy confection.

The Oxford Dictionary has this to say:

9. Caramel

The word caramel can acceptably be pronounced in several accepted ways, including KARR-uh-mel, KARR-uh-muhl, and, in North American English, KAR-muhl. The disappearance of that second syllable -uh- in the final pronunciation seems to have been in the works for a long time. The word has been in English since the 18th century, which it came via French from the Spanish caramel. 

So apparently either pronumciation is approved by Oxford. For me, since the original word is carAmel, that's what I'll stick to.  I have a very good friend that says CARmel, and it hurts my ears each time!  

@Sammijo10

Thank you, I love etymology!  Woman Happy

I grew up more than half a century ago, as many of us on chat did. There used to be a San Francisco accent which the elderly people had when I was a kid.  I've wondered if that that was the reason people said carmels.

Honored Contributor

I was born and raise in southern Indiana, i still have that southern way of pronouncing things,many have made fun of me,left there when i was 18, i am soon to be 65 ,not going to change.

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

I was born and raise in southern Indiana, i still have that southern way of pronouncing things,many have made fun of me,left there when i was 18, i am soon to be 65 ,not going to change.

@goldensrbest

I had to work on not saying "warsh".  People said that around here, too.

Don't worry about your region-speak, just be yourself.  And it turns out "carmel" IS an acceptable way to say it.  No one should have the temerity to disagree with the Oxford dictionary Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

@goldensrbest

I had to work on not saying "warsh".  People said that around her, too.

Don't worry about your region-speak, just be yourself.  And it turns out "caramel" IS an acceptable way to say it.  No one should have the temerity to disagree with the Oxford dictionary Smiley Happy

@Noel7Yes, i say that also, and dog with a long o in it, and other things.

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

@goldensrbest

I had to work on not saying "warsh".  People said that around her, too.

Don't worry about your region-speak, just be yourself.  And it turns out "caramel" IS an acceptable way to say it.  No one should have the temerity to disagree with the Oxford dictionary Smiley Happy

@Noel7Yes, i say that also, and dog with a long o in it, and other things.

@goldensrbest

I made a mistake on my note to you.  It should have read "CARMEL" is an acceptable way to say it.

My apologies Smiley Happy  You and I are OK saying carmel.

Trusted Contributor

Did anyone happen to see the last segment of Dr. Oz's show yesterday?

The "Cake Boss" baker came on to demonstrate how to make homemade

caramel apples.  I didn't get the exact recipe, but it was easy:

All cooked together with candy thermometer in this order:

heavy cream

corn syrup (!!!!)

sugar

butter

The apples were first rolled in caramel, then in melted white chocolate, then

in chopped pistacios and dried cranberries. 

Of course, the choice of toppings could be changed, but they looked great.

The idea was to give these as homemade gifts during the holidays.

Dr. Oz said all recipes could be found on his website.

Contributor

Yes! Abbott's from Hagerstown.