Respected Contributor

@lynnie61 ..... that's a long time at your company.  I bet they didn't approve your retirement because they didn't want you to retire yet.  They wanted you to stay.  BUT.....your retirement will be here before you know it.

Valued Contributor

Practically everyday I say that I am SO happy to be retired. I loved teaching...44years...but after 5 years plus 3 extensions...the state law said no more. 

June 2019. I know if they had said that I could have another year I probably would have.

Well, Covid hit the next school year and I wasn't there!!! Dodged a bullet for sure.

Retirement takes getting used to and Covid made it harder but finally finding a new schedule or no schedule.. Not having to walk up at 5:50 and drive 35 miles each way is so much less stressful.

Will volunteer at granddaughters school if  they allow volunteers this year. Should be interesting as she is in the grade I enjoyed teaching the most!

Valued Contributor

I retired from being a clinic nurse about 10 years ago . I am still planning on cleaning up my basement , it’s the drop off place for everything . In 10 years I haven’t gotten it done , always other stuff going on !  I love getting up when I feel like it and watching TV in bed till really late ! 

Esteemed Contributor

@Goodie2shoes wrote:

I don't know about anyone else but I feel so blessed to be retired since April 2016 after a 45 year career as a nurse, able to get up when I want to in the morning, do my chores (housekeeping etc) when I want to ( I do keep everything clean, dishes washed, clothes washed, dusting, vacuuming etc) I can come and go as I please. I am able to shop as I please, buy what I want when I want. My 2013 Equinox only has 76,000 miles on it and I bought it new (it's paid for) Woman Very Happy. Now I did go through the repeat right  knee replacement  last year (some may remember my story) but I am fine, still a little swelling in the knee but it's ok. I feel so blessed at 70, type 2 diabetes under control, off all meds and I have lost weight so I had to replace my wardrobe.  My children and grandchildren are doing well. Thank you Lord for everyday and every blessing !   Anyone else know what I'm talking about ?  What's your story ?

@Goodie2shoes - I'm a retired nurse after 50 years, retired 2013.  I loved my career and never looked back.  When the pandemic hit my state hard, I volunteered as a contact tracer.  Being high risk myself, I couldn't do any clinical work but felt I had to something.  I love having my own schedule and being able to sit down for lunch which was a rare occurrence when I worked.  We've traveled a lot and have a trip planned for September if all goes well.   

Honored Contributor

Love retirement more than words can say. I retired at 62 after a 40 yr. career in nursing. I'm a homebody and am enjoying a calm and peaceful environment with few commitments. Therefore, the pandemic didn't really affect my lifestyle. 

Honored Contributor

DH and I both retired February 2016 and have enjoyed it so much. 

Looking forward to going on another bus trip in the fall.

Honored Contributor

@kittykatkay wrote:

I picked up our microphone (that we used to page doctors, residents, employees) and announced in a clear, heartfelt, but happy voice....

"ELVIS HAS LEFT BUILDING"....and I did.  

See the source image

@kittykatkay   Way to go girl!!!!!!  👍🏾

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac ...thank you and have enjoyed every minute of my retirement.  

Esteemed Contributor

It is really great to hear about so many peoples happy stories about retirement. For me, I can't imagine retiring. I'm 60 and I intend to stay in my current job for the next 10 years....at !east. I sometimes ponder what my next career will be - starting at 70. We are all different, I suppose. 

Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

It is really great to hear about so many peoples happy stories about retirement. For me, I can't imagine retiring. I'm 60 and I intend to stay in my current job for the next 10 years....at !east. I sometimes ponder what my next career will be - starting at 70. We are all different, I suppose. 

@Goldengate8361 

DITTO!  I'm 55 and plan to work for many more years, unless I die first.  Who knows what tomorrow will bring...

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.