Esteemed Contributor

My husband and I retired at the end of 2008. Two weeks later I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer. Once I recovered we had a great time...traveling, dining out, visiting family and friends, working out M-F at the Y. A few years after that, my husband was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. His grandmother had it so it was likely passed on.

In two weeks we are going to visit family, whom we haven't seen in a year. This will be no vacation. Rather, I want to see my 99 year old mother as well as my brother and sister-in-law, who lost their only child to drugs last year. All I can say is that you never know what life can throw at you. If you can retire, do it and enjoy it while you can.

Respected Contributor

@wilma 

Why don't you do some tutoring?  No doubt there will be many, many kids lagging behind at this point.  You could really make a difference in a child's life.

Respected Contributor

@Vivianwrote: In two weeks we are going to visit family, whom we haven't seen in a year. This will be no vacation. Rather, I want to see my 99 year old mother as well as my brother and sister-in-law, who lost their only child to drugs last year. All I can say is that you never know what life can throw at you. If you can retire, do it and enjoy it while you can.

Enjoy your visit with your mom ! it's a blessing that you can still have some time with her. 99 ! awesome !  I lost my mom last year from covid, she was 88. I'm thankful for those 88 years of her love for her children.

Esteemed Contributor

@Goodie2shoes  I retired right before the pandemic hit, so I feel like I'm just now settling in to retirement. Today I did some housework, weeded the flower bed and then went to the pool! I just feel so relaxed right about now. I've been able to travel to visit and sit for the grandchildren whenever I'm needed. It feels great being useful that way! DH is still working, so I'm not sure how it will be when he retires. TBD.

Honored Contributor

@Another new name Sue wrote:

@wilma 

Why don't you do some tutoring?  No doubt there will be many, many kids lagging behind at this point.  You could really make a difference in a child's life.

@Another new name Sue 

I have signed up to volunteer tutor at a local community center. I should get more information soon. 

Esteemed Contributor

I'm happy for all you retirees!   and a little jealous LOL

DH retired Sept 2020 at 66. 

I hope I get to retire someday.  I've been working since I was 16.  This week I have 3 days off.  Every month I take off a few days.

Respected Contributor

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR RETIREMENT!!! 

GOD blessed me with retirement at the age of 48.  It was with a medical college and they gave only a certain amount of people (800 of us out of 8,000 employees) who qualified, 5 years added to their retirement along with 16% added to retirement $$$.  I was making more staying home than if I continued to work.  GOD BLESSED ME in that this gave me the opportunity to take care of my dear mom for 8 years before she passed.  

I knew I would miss my colleagues, but this was a rare, unbelievable opportunity that never happened before and will probably never happen again.  When I walked out of my office for the last time on that Friday afternoon at 5 pm......I picked up our microphone (that we used to page doctors, residents, employees) and announced in a clear, heartfelt, but happy voice....

"ELVIS HAS LEFT BUILDING"....and I did.  

See the source image

Honored Contributor

Retirement is great!

I retired in Oct. 2010 - almost 11 years ago - after working almost 50 years!

I love having the freedom to do what I want, when I want to do it.  

Esteemed Contributor

So grateful to be able to be retired and not have to supplement my income with a part time job. My brother has to work part time to make ends meet. (I do help) I think he enjoys it though. Some people need that schedule of a job and others do not. I have my DH and my brother lost his love this February so maybe it's a blessing for him to get out and see other people a few days a week. I for one to do not miss that dreaded alarm clock, Monday mornings and that commute. Such freedom. Sorry I'm rattling on here. ❤️

Respected Contributor

@Goodie2shoes    And all you other retirees, congratulations!  I have about 18 months to go.  It’s so much harder than even 10 years ago.  Understaffed, demanding, so busy.  They offered packages to leave last year, I applied and was denied. So many tried for it they could not grant it to everyone. (Paid to go).  I could probably afford to go now, but trying to hold out to 62.   But my turn will come.  Even since the pandemic, time has gone quickly. 

Glad to hear that so many of you love it.  I have worked since I was 16, so I am certainly READY!  I know I will not miss the 5 am alarm clock and the commute.  Have worked at the same company for 42 years.