Trusted Contributor

Sleeping to noon is way overrated.  My husband and I do have structure despite being retired.  No point in turning into a lump of lard just because you can.  Getting out each day exercising and meeting people keeps your spirits up.  We do miss working in that regard but don't miss the office politics.   

Respected Contributor

I am grateful that we can be retired and survive without working a job.  However, I feel like my social life, friends, etc. came from the people I worked with and now it is hard to make friends and find activities that we can do. We don't have family and my husband has so many medical problems that all he wants to do it eat out and come home and nap.  I have dogs that need me and they take up a lot of my time.  Maybe if I was with a different partner who was active and healthy and liked people it would be different but for me retirement has been isolating and boring since covid.  

Honored Contributor

YEEESSS!  Retirement is wonderful!!!  I have been retired for a couple of years now.  For quite a few months after I retired, I was thinking --- did I make the right decision?  It was hard to believe but I was actually kind of depressed!  After working all my life, I did not know what to do with myself!  I wondered around like I was lost --- and I was!  I was so used to being on a tight schedule and it was go, go, go!  Suddenly --- boom -- it all changed!  After quite a few months actually, I did get acclimated and now it's as if I never worked!  I do occasionally miss the work I did but mostly I don't give it a thought. I  was always so stressed out and toward the end, was just worn out!  I had plans to work for a few more years but suddenly, the decision became clear to me ---- do it now!  No regrets!  The only bad thing about it was, shortly thereafter, the stupid pandemic arrived!!!!  I had wanted to be a retired person for so long and wondered if it would ever happen -- but I planned for it and made it happen!!!  For all those on the fence, if you can financially do it --- don't hesitate!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

It took me 30 seconds to adjust to retirement. I love it. I worked parttime for a few years and quit altogether when I turned 65. I do what I want, when I want. No need to set alarms. I walk every day with my dog, exercise, and do tons of yard work spring to fall, less stress and anxiety. 

I'm honored to take care of my 90 yr old dad and disabled sister and really have the time now. It was hard when I worked 55-60-65 hours a week. 

My income is now about 35% of what it was when I worked but that's ok. I'd rather struggle a little than work in the corporate world again.

Esteemed Contributor

I retired last November. I liked my job (worked nutrition department in a hospital), but the last few years got to be too much. Of course, there was Covid, but the main problem was new management in my department. Things were going fine until the new managers brought in their friends and family and changed the way we worked. I waited until I got my finances adjusted and then was out of there. Don't miss it at all.

I still get together monthly with women I used to work with. I like having days free to do what I want and not have to worry about getting ready for work. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Respected Contributor

My husband and I have our own business, and we are winding down to retirement. I'm currently only working 2 days a week, and he's working 4 days...and we leave around 3:00 most days. We're not taking on any new projects, and the three still under construction will be finished by early next summer at the latest. We let our 2 employees go at the end of 2020. He will be 69 and I will be 67 by the time we retire.

We are loving our reduced schedule, and looking forward to being completely done!

Honored Contributor

@agb80 wrote:

Sleeping to noon is way overrated.  My husband and I do have structure despite being retired.  No point in turning into a lump of lard just because you can.  Getting out each day exercising and meeting people keeps your spirits up.  We do miss working in that regard but don't miss the office politics.   

I hear you. I feel great if I sleep til 6am. My dog and I walk for an hour or more after a cup of coffee and some water. We usually walk in a large cemetery and see all kinds of animals and birds, and then do some resistance training. My social life is 20 times better than when I worked too. I'm able to do all the things I've wanted to do since I'm not working 50-55 hours a week.

Trusted Contributor

@Goodie2shoes 

It was a pleasure reading your post. 

Wonderful!

Valued Contributor

After 42 (non-stop) years in the workforce, I retired at 62, and I am LOVING it! - It's been almost 7 years, and I have absolutely NO regrets at all.

Now, I get to do what I want, when I want... Woman Wink

No more getting up early in the morning (unless I want to) - No strict schedules and deadlines, and no dreaded 30-minute commutes.

I never had a "Bucket List" - But, I get to volunteer as much as I want at Church now, and I find that totally fulfilling, rewarding and satisfying.

I say, if you can afford to take "early" retirement, do it, while you still have your health and strength, and you can enjoy doing some of the things you really WANT to do.

You can always "downsize" your living expenses, if money is an issue - Plus, you'll be surprised at how much $$$ you save, when you're not buying gas, clothes for work, lunches, etc.

Yes, being retired is a BLESSING! Heart

Trusted Contributor

@Goodie2shoes wrote:

I don't know about anyone else but I feel so blessed to be retired since April 2016 after a 45 year career as a nurse, able to get up when I want to in the morning, do my chores (housekeeping etc) when I want to ( I do keep everything clean, dishes washed, clothes washed, dusting, vacuuming etc) I can come and go as I please. I am able to shop as I please, buy what I want when I want. My 2013 Equinox only has 76,000 miles on it and I bought it new (it's paid for) Woman Very Happy. Now I did go through the repeat right  knee replacement  last year (some may remember my story) but I am fine, still a little swelling in the knee but it's ok. I feel so blessed at 70, type 2 diabetes under control, off all meds and I have lost weight so I had to replace my wardrobe.  My children and grandchildren are doing well. Thank you Lord for everyday and every blessing !   Anyone else know what I'm talking about ?  What's your story ?

You are fortunate to be able to have enough money to retire. I agree that retirement is great, but I have to work to make ends meet. Smiley Happy