Esteemed Contributor

I agree that retirement is nice.  However, it took me a while to adjust, almost two years.  I was one of those people that always wanted to work.  My husband was the same way.  Eventually I found my niche and began to enjoy my time.  I like to be busy and have some structure to my days.  I’m somewhat hyper and tend to get headaches if I sit around too much.  My body needs to keep moving to feel good.  I do a lot of hiking and walking.  I enjoy coming home exhausted.  I feel better and sleep better.  I’m happy to be able to spend my time in nature rather than an office. 

Esteemed Contributor

I just recently retired -- as in just a couple of weeks ago. I had a job I loved and I was really good at my job, but recently got a new boss who was in process of changing how we did everything. I disagreed with what was coming, did my research and boom, announced my retirement.

Have to say, retiring during summer sure made transition easy. I still get up at same time because I am a morning person. And I do still have a routine, as I am one of those kind of people. Lol. It does feel unreal that I don't have the stress of projects and deadlines, stupid Zoom meetings, and people calling all day long asking for my help. 

I worked hard for a lot of years and saved money for 40 years so I could retire, but I know I am lucky and blessed to be able to retire now. I don't take it for granted at all.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Esteemed Contributor

@Goodie2shoes, I totally agree with you! Retirement is a wonderful blessing and I love it every single day! We never know what life will bring us, so do what makes you happy!

Contributor

Just wondering how were you able to get off your type 2 diabetes med's.......I would love to get off mine.

Respected Contributor

I retired earlier than planned in order to help my elderly parents. Mom had dementia and Dad needed help taking care of her. That was 5 yrs ago. Both parents have passed now. 

I like being retired. Many have mentioned the freedom to wake up when they want and do whatever they want and I love that aspect of retired life, too. I can be as busy or lazy as I want. It’s great! Dh retired several years before me. We hope to do a little traveling in the next year or so.

Trusted Contributor

I retired from our local school district June 30, 2018, after 12 years.  Previous to that, I worked 30 years in corporate and left when our company re-organized and moved to Chicago.  I was only 49 so still needed to work.

I had planned to work until my dad passed.  But when I met our new principal, and shook his slimey hand, I went home and wrote my letter.  No way.  To get my sick days paid out, I had to give 6 months notice, so I stayed until the end of the school year.  I ended up temping at 2 school districts the next year and dad passed in 2019.

I am now in Delaware, 2 blocks from the beach.  Haha, who gets to go to the beach in the summer??  I actually work 2 part time jobs - one at an  outlet store 15 hours a week and I sub at our local school district when I want to.  It gets me up and out around people and a little extra play money.  

When I sub at school, I usually take afternoon jobs, so I still get to sleep in and ease into the day.  I don't miss my alarm going off at 5:15a!

I have never been married and no children, so it's only me.  Right now I'm fairly healthy, but who knows what will happen 10 years out?  

Enjoy!

Valued Contributor

We retired Jan. 2020 - then boom! Covid....

Still adjusting - my old pup passed in July 2020 and we debated on another dog....after all it would cramp our newfound freedom, right?  Well, in January we brought our new lab puppy home and it's been a roller coaster ride ever since!

Our only child lives out of state and we have no grandkids so a dog definitely keeps me busy, gets me up in the a.m., gets me off the couch, and he's like a toddler - a naughty one!

My husband has adjusted better to not working than I have.  I miss the social part but I know I can volunteer - I just need to figure out this next chapter.  I was recommended the book "Women Rowing North" by my dr.....it talks about this 'last' chapter of our lives, dealing with what's next.  I read it a few years ago and need to read it again.

Unfortuntately, everyone I know has grandkids and they take up their time so a lot of my friends are busy with them.  I can't relate. Our parents are gone now (too bad because now is when I have lots of time for them).  Husband has lots of health problems but we deal ok.  One of my dearest coworkers at age 50 was diagnosed with ALS and she's fading fast.  I think of her a lot on my walks.  Embrace your health and mobility and don't wait too long to retire or enjoy life!

Frequent Contributor

I had to retire at 55 due to a serious back injury. It wasn't something that was planned. I just didn't get bet after almost 2 years and I was struggling. Other issues were starting to appear, so I decided it was time to go. It's seems like a life-time ago, but I'm so happy now. When I'm not sick, I can do things like knit Chemo hats and paint figurines for Christmas for the children in our families.

Respected Contributor

Oh lord, I need new glasses. I thought your title was "Being Retired Is Nude"  Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

We're in what I call "practice retirement".  I stopped working 11 yrs. ago but DH continued.  Last year his office shut down due to the pandemic and he began working from home. Before that, he was working from home one day a week. We have our routine set with coffee together in the morning, lunch together, and dinner at a much more reasonable time than it used to be, and he can still finish early enough in the afternoon that we can go out on errands, visit a farmers market, or leave for a weekend get away.  He doesn't miss his old, LONG commute to Chicago.  Technically, he could retire but he's going to continue.  Why not?  This is a perfect arrangement for now.