Respected Contributor

being Retired is nice

[ Edited ]

I don't know about anyone else but I feel so blessed to be retired since April 2016 after a 45 year career as a nurse, able to get up when I want to in the morning, do my chores (housekeeping etc) when I want to ( I do keep everything clean, dishes washed, clothes washed, dusting, vacuuming etc) I can come and go as I please. I am able to shop as I please, buy what I want when I want. My 2013 Equinox only has 76,000 miles on it and I bought it new (it's paid for) Woman Very Happy. Now I did go through the repeat right  knee replacement  last year (some may remember my story) but I am fine, still a little swelling in the knee but it's ok. I feel so blessed at 70, type 2 diabetes under control, off all meds and I have lost weight so I had to replace my wardrobe.  My children and grandchildren are doing well. Thank you Lord for everyday and every blessing !   Anyone else know what I'm talking about ?  What's your story ?

Honored Contributor

DH and I both retired in our mid 50s.  We have been very much enjoying the past 20 years.  Can't imagine being in the workforce and are so thankful we don't have to be!

Super Contributor

Congratulations on your retirement!   I retired last August 2020,  every day I count my blessings.   I am blessed to provide additonal volunteer support to the SPCA in my community.   Life is good!

Honored Contributor

I say a prayer of gratitude every day that I'm retired. Don't get me wrong, I liked my work in health care, but toward the end of my full time work it became difficult. I worked per diem a few years just to ease out , but now I enjoy my freedom, I'm never bored. I know some my age that are still working, and bless them, you have to do what is right for you.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

@Tallgalwrote: Congratulations on your retirement! I retired last August 2020, every day I count my blessings. I am blessed to provide additonal volunteer support to the SPCA in my community. Life is good!

That's awesome that you were able to retire especially with the pandemic going on. I retired in April of 2016 and never looked back. I understand fully what these nurses are going through caring for covid patients. My heart goes out to them

Respected Contributor

Both my husband and I are retired.  I took an early retirement and never had one moment of regret.  I enjoyed the many years of working in my field but I knew when it was time to leave.  

My husband and I often comment about how happy we are to be retired.  We love staying up late at night and being able to sleep in until we decide to get up.  For years my husband had to get up at 4:30 AM to be at work at 6:00 AM.  For him it's a joy to sleep later in the morning.

We are so grateful to be out of the workforce.  The thought of having to work through the pandemic and fear getting Covid-19 would have been frightening as neither of us had jobs that would have allowed us to work from home.

Respected Contributor

@Goodie2shoes     Anyone else know what I'm talking about ?  What's your story ?

@Goodie2shoes   Well, to answer your 2 questions..... Unfortunately, no, as I'm still working full time.  LOL.  And my story is, I can't wait until I can retire, too.  I'm envious and happy for you.  I would love to be able to wake up without having an alarm clock going off before the crack of dawn.  Even with the pandemic we had to come to work every day as my position is not something I could do from home.  

While I do enjoy my job, I so look forward to the day when I can make my own schedule, or not, and enjoy my life with my family.  

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Honored Contributor

Me leaving the office at the ripe young age of 50 on my last day of working in the rat race....

kiss.gif

Haven't looked back since.  That was 21 yrs ago.  I've been partying each day like it's 1999 ever since. djsmilie.gif6flagsdancingman.gifdancingsmilie.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Re: being Retired is nice

[ Edited ]

My husband and I both planned on working until we were 60 - 65, but circumstances resulted in us both retiring in our 50s. My husband is 64 now and I'm 58. 

My husband worked for the US Navy as a civilian engineer. They closed our local facility and begged him to come to California, but he decided to retire early so he could stay here to take care of his aging parents. Fortunately, his retirement benefits, even at a reduced rate due to his age, are enough for us to live on. He is in good health. 

I've been sickly since birth. I taught school for 32 years before retiring due to chronic health issues. I have debated returning since my health is better, and there is a shortage and need for teachers in my area, but my husband and doctors don't want me to. 

We both loved our jobs so we miss them from time to time.  We don't miss getting up at 5:30 in the morning though. We want to do some traveling before we both get too old, but it seems something always comes up that prevents it. 

Respected Contributor

I enjoy not having to adhere to anyone's schedule other than our own. I resent the days that we have doctor's appointments. Coming and going as you please and no work issues to manage are nice perks.