Esteemed Contributor

Re: Your Childhood Best Friend and Memories

I keep in touch with some of my old friends, but I don't feel the same closeness that I once felt with them.....

Respected Contributor

@Nataliesgramma  Same here........not the same closeness. 

Super Contributor

I just went to lunch this week with my two best friends from school and Girl Scouts. We have been through everything together, raising families, taking care of elderly parents, a divorce, two of us widowed, and unbearable loss of children and myself a grandchild. All the joys and sadness of life. We treasure each other more than ever and know that we are blessed! One of these dear ladies married my late husbands best friend. Our early family times together were the best that could be! We just keep going.

Honored Contributor

I have a BFF and we have known each other since we were 4 or 5.  We are still BFFs and talk often.  We known each other over 50 years.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I recently visited my BF, she has terminal cancer and is on hospice. Before I visited I had sent her a list of memories we had shared throughout the years and she really enjoyed it. It gave us something to talk about that wasn't sad. 

Esteemed Contributor

I've had two best friends. The first I met when I was 8 and we remained friends even when she moved when we were 16.  We were sorority sisters and roommates and we took the same overseas job upon graduation.  She left Germany to get married but we reconnected 15 years later and we are FB friends.  My second bestie and I connected when I was 33 and again in Germany working. We reconnected in California when I was 39 and I introduced her to her husband at the Barstow Marine Corps Ball. We were Maid/Matron of honor at one another's weddings, are FB friends and now meet for dinner, with our husbands, every March in Las Vegas.

Super Contributor

I grew up in Brooklyn NY on a street where everyone knew everyone,  everyone watched out for everyone and most of the kids were friends. My childhood best friend was from a family who moved next door to our apartment. They immigrated from Italy and did not speak English.  The day they moved in, 3 young boys and 1 girl,  came out on the stoop and we all started playing together.  I didn't speak any Italian and they didn't speak any English but we all became friends and she, a best friend of mine for many years.  We lost contact as we grew up and they moved away.  I searched for her on the internet and found that she and her oldest brother had passed and it brought sadness and memories back to me of when we were 7-8 until I graduated high school.   

Esteemed Contributor

My childhood best friend and I have been in contact since we were 4 years old. We went through all the childhood adventures and mishaps, went off to college, were separated by distance for many years, and now she is back in our hometown. I live 300 miles across the state. We still talk often, and sometimes she comes over to me or I go to her. Her life took an entirely different course than mine, but we still found the time to return to our past and reminisce. On a particular birthday of hers, I made and framed a collage of pictures of us through the years to that moment. I had our graduation picture taken in my garden, us in grade school playing dress up with our mom's clothes, and of course us together as "older" ladies celebrating so many years of friendship. We are grounded by our story. Children playing, teens getting our drivers' licenses, summertime at her lake cabin, lots of silliness, some tragedies, going to the state basketball tournament on the all night train, haviing a ball at the World's Fair,  and a lot of love. She's my sister in every way but by blood. We will always be bonded.

Esteemed Contributor

@ciao_bella wrote:

Was cleaning out a drawer yesterday and came upon a box with photos of my childhood and some friends.  It was sort of a momemt like when Chevy Chase was locked in the attic looking at photos reminiscing about the past in the movie, 'A Christmas Vacation'.

I came across a picture of my best friend, Diane, who was a year or so older than I.  We had such fun times as kids, eating tomato and lettuce sandwiches with mayo, building forts  in the wooded area with anything we could find, dressing up in old high heels and clothes that our neighbor used to purge,  rollerskating with the metal key style skates that ripped open your ankles, riding bikes that were hand-me-downs and talking on the 'party line' telephone which her and my family shared.  

As adults, about 20 years or so ago, we did meet up and again shared a wonderful day of catching up.  

What do you remember about your best friend growing up and have you ever made contact with them as an adult?

Oh my gosh, you just reminded me of the key roller skates. My friend and I used to try to do tricks on them. Often the tricks ended up with both of us on the ground. 

Honored Contributor

I let go of a childhood friendship of 65 years just 3 years ago; it was time, and I have no regrets.   

I closed the front door after her last visit, looked at my husband and said "who the HELL was that?", and even he made a comment about the change in her.   The majority of her visit was complaining about her family, but in the days after she left, her family comments began to unnerve me, and I didn't hold back.  Apparently my truth hurt; she was "offended", and my last text was "Oh Well!"   

I have enjoyed 3 peaceful years.