Esteemed Contributor

Re: Your Childhood Best Friend and Memories

@RedTop wrote:

I let go of a childhood friendship of 65 years just 3 years ago; it was time, and I have no regrets.   

I closed the front door after her last visit, looked at my husband and said "who the HELL was that?", and even he made a comment about the change in her.   The majority of her visit was complaining about her family, but in the days after she left, her family comments began to unnerve me, and I didn't hold back.  Apparently my truth hurt; she was "offended", and my last text was "Oh Well!"   

I have enjoyed 3 peaceful years.  

Sad that this happened, but I guess we all change through the years whether we realize it or not. My friend and I have nothing in common now, except our long term friendship. We both kind of ignore our life paths when we talk. All we know is what we knew and still know regardless of life circumtances.

Frequent Contributor

grew up in the Bronx, NY. There were 4 of us girls all with the first initial M.

We called ourselves the MELROSE GIRLS--because we lived off Melrose Ave.

One girl sent me a birthday card when I was 16 with a dime a nickel and a penny-taped inside the card.(16) I still have the card. Unfortunately, she passed away and another "M" passed away. I am still close to one other M. It's been over 75 years of friendship. 

Esteemed Contributor

My best friend growing up was my neighbor across the street. When I got to junior high we drifted apart as she was a couple years younger than me. I quickly found a new Bff and by the time we got to high school we had added another friend that we hung out with. The three of us are still BFFs to this day. We don't see each other as often now but we did get together for lunch last weekend.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

My best friend lived about 5 blocks away and we met at school - probably about 3rd or 4th grade.  We were city kids and walked everywhere instead of using a bike.  Went to the neighborhood pool every single day in the summer and to the library weekly because we were both voracious readers.  She was the sister I never had and we were just inseparable. 

Then we were sent to different jr. high schools for three years where I met a really nice boy who became a friend.  Fast forward to high school where we were all together again, and I introduced her to the boy.  It was love at first sight - they dated through high school and college then married!

We drifted apart during our college years and never had that super close relationship again.  But living in the same town we ran into each other now and again, and I so enjoyed talking with both of them.  Sadly she died much too young of cancer. But I have such sweet memories and know that I'll eventually see my buddy again.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

@RedTop 

Sometimes you got to do what you know is right for you. I believe you knew this and it was the right time. 

I've let several friends go because the friendship was no longer productive. I have also been let go by some myself. 

I acknowledged it for what it was; when it was. I also acknowledged that it was time to disconnect, so I did.

People are in your life sometimes for a reason and sometimes for a season. 

Honored Contributor

@KBEANS 

Your words are so absolutely true.  From my point of view, it was just time for us to part ways.

Honored Contributor

Yes I love what a friend who is still a friend said about life and friendships we have.  Sometimes there are seasons to friendships.

I think that is so encouraging when even 50 years friends or close short ones for maybe different reasons, may not last forever.

I've learned that I can appreciate the times I've had some in my life instead of focusing on not having them anymore, whether through death or moving across country or just life gets in the way from keeping close relationships with so many people.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I am still friends with my childhood friend.  We met in 1st grade, and have been friends ever since.  Many, many sleep overs at each others homes, lots of rides on the school bus.  

Then as we got older, weddings, new babies (for her, never for me) and then the sudden loss of her husband...which was just an awful life event.

We don't live far from each other so I see her a lot in the summer as she winters in Florida.  Older friends are the best.

Respected Contributor

I grew up in a neighborhood and I was the only girl other than the girl at the end of the block. We became friends when we were in elementary school and then her parents sent her to Catholic school pretty far from where we lived...so I saw her less often. Saw her occasionally but she was very involved in her school/ church. She found me last year on FB. I don't know how she knew it was me since my name is different and I am careful not to disclose anything very personal....but now we email each other a lot and met for lunch. It was so amazing that I had forgotten so many things that I remembered as soon as we began talking about when we were young. 

Honored Contributor

My oldest childhood friend, and I, use to go through comic books, sitting outside in her back yard.  Little LuLu, The Archies, goodness who else?  That was what we did for some of the summer days.  That's the one that comes to mind first.

Years ago, had a great dinner with her, her sister and her childhood best friend.  We 2 friends had the same first name.  (Of the sisters).