Respected Contributor

Your Childhood Best Friend and Memories

[ Edited ]

Was cleaning out a drawer yesterday and came upon a box with photos of my childhood and some friends.  It was sort of a momemt like when Chevy Chase was locked in the attic looking at photos reminiscing about the past in the movie, 'A Christmas Vacation'.

I came across a picture of my best friend, Diane, who was a year or so older than I.  We had such fun times as kids, eating tomato and lettuce sandwiches with mayo, building forts  in the wooded area with anything we could find, dressing up in old high heels and clothes that our neighbor used to purge,  rollerskating with the metal key style skates that ripped open your ankles, riding bikes that were hand-me-downs and talking on the 'party line' telephone which her and my family shared.  

As adults, about 20 years or so ago, we did meet up and again shared a wonderful day of catching up.  

What do you remember about your best friend growing up and have you ever made contact with them as an adult?

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Your Childhood Best Friend and Memories

That's a sweet story; such nice memories.

I have the absolute pleasure of still being best friends with my childhood best friend.  We met when we were 8 and have stayed in each others lives through these past 58 years!  I would say that we are now closer than ever.  Her entire family is dear to me and mine to her.  I feel truly blessed.  

Respected Contributor

I am still friendly with my childhood friend Carolyn. We met in Kindergarten when I was crying on the first day. She came over to comfort me. We became the best of friends.

When we heard the song Black and White by Three Dog Night we  just knew it was about us! We are friends now for over 50 years and we love each other as much as we did back then.

Esteemed Contributor

My childhood best friend and I have stayed in touch for 70 years. We have known each other since we were five years old. Forty years ago, my friend moved to Holland,Her husband is Dutch. The Atlantic Ocean couldn't stop our friendship. In fact, my friend and her husband came to visit two weeks ago. We had a great time together, as usual.

Esteemed Contributor

I met my best friend on the first day of school when we were in the 1st grade. We still keep in touch and I have visited her a couple of time in California. Always fun.

Respected Contributor

I met my best friend when I was 4.  We are still best friends to this day.  

Honored Contributor

My best friend's family moved from Illinois to California when we were 10-years-old.  We promised to write letters to each other.  On her eleventh birthday, I attached 2 rhinestone-encrusted barrettes to a card.  When we arranged to see each other about 20 years later, she wore the barrettes.  

Honored Contributor

My very first best friend was a next door neighbor going back to when I was about 3 or 4.  Our birthdays were only a couple days apart.   

Our mission was to play together from the moment we woke up till we had to go in to get bathed and go to bed.  

After we moved we lost touch and I found out about 15 years ago that she died.  She was only in her 40's.  I have no idea what happened to her.  I would have gone to her funeral even though I was hundreds of miles away, but it was private.

Respected Contributor

My best friend's mom and my mom were in nurses training together in the late 1940s. Her mom was dating/engaged to a young man who had a good looking buddy. They introduced that buddy to my mother. History was made. The two couples got married in 1949. The moms were pregnant at the same time. Barb, my friend, was born in Feb 1951. I came along in July. Then our parents had second daughters the exact same age. I have a couple of cute photos where Barb and I were infants. We were sitting on a couch together with a cat. I was six months old, bald and wide eyed, staring at that cat. Our families got together weekly on Friday evenings. And went lots of fun places together. 
Barb and I haven't physically seen each other in decades but stayed in touch and keep up with each other on Facebook. We have literally been friends for 71 years. 

Harmonize the World
Esteemed Contributor

@Lucky Charm That's so sad.  I just ran into one of my childhood friends over last weekend.   We were neighbors and were in kindergarten when we first met.  I had not seen her in many years as she relocated to TN after her wedding.   She now has terminal cancer, we sat and cried together, still feeling the attachment all these years later Smiley Sad