Honored Contributor

@hckynut One reason we don't live on an acerage--$$$.  I grew up on one!  Parents bought a riding mower when I moved away!  And year later bought another one--and they had a head-on coming around the house.  

I understand about folks not familiar with equipment.  I know a guy working for a friend of my dad's who rolled a big John Deere into a big river and lived to tell about it! John Deere lived too, pretty much unharmed after a few tow trucks hooked up and drug him out!  LOL!!  

Respected Contributor

I too have a zero-turn mower and it's great but they're pricey and could only afford to get it on a 3-yr payment plan. Here's a mechanic question:  I got this mower brand new a few yrs ago and now whenever I go to start it the battery is dead & must get someone to jump-start.  Shouldn't a battery last longer than that in a mower?

Honored Contributor

Super small yards are some of the hardest to keep up with as far as making them look good. They have to be well planned and kept manicured or it will get shaggy looking really easy. I've had tiny yards and now huge. 

I maintain two houses on five acres (side by side) and it's a ton of work. Minimum four hours mowing two times a week right now with all the rain and warm weather, and keeping up with the various beds and trimming is unending. 

Big yards though, as long as well mowed, don't need as much fuss with a lot of landscaping, the big expanse of grass is 'enough' if you don't want to mess with lots of flowers, plants and beds. 

IT's all a lot of work though, the older I get!

Honored Contributor

@KKJ 

Battery life depends a little on the weather. Live in a cold climate, and it sits all winter in the cold? Even when charged, that shortens their life. 

I take mine out after my last mow and bring it into the house. Usually that's all it takes. Put it back in and it starts. Just like cars, much harder on battery in cold weather.

I change the batteries in our vehicles a little over that, sooner if they act up. Sometimes a charge helps, but still takes it toll on them. 3 years?  My last one lasted 4 seasons even bringing it inside.

Think the last 1 I bought was about $40.

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@hckynut  Thanks for the info. It's a new Kubota--well, 3 yrs now. Yes, it sits in garage all winter in the cold (I'm in Kansas) but the last mower I had was a JD and don't remember changing battery on it and had it for years.

Honored Contributor

We unfortunately owned a boat at one time.  I think we bought more batteries for the stupid thing than we took it out.

Like the old saying, one of the happiest days of your life is when you buy a boat.  THE happiest day is when you get rid of it!  Woman Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner@hckynut  I hired out for many years and it was pricey.  I do find that with the maintenance each year, it might be closer to a wash to have someone do it for me.  I do have someone do the hill since the transmission on the tractor doesn't like going up and down hills all the time.  

When my tractor goes in for service, I have the entire place done and it's a treat to have one less job to do.  It frees up a lot of time.

Honored Contributor

@Snoopp wrote:

@Sooner@hckynut  I hired out for many years and it was pricey.  I do find that with the maintenance each year, it might be closer to a wash to have someone do it for me.  I do have someone do the hill since the transmission on the tractor doesn't like going up and down hills all the time.  

When my tractor goes in for service, I have the entire place done and it's a treat to have one less job to do.  It frees up a lot of time.

@Snoopp I hear you on that!  A lot of property is often a lot of work!  Tractors can be pretty stubborn too I can vouch for that because my dad farmed!  

And for the uninitiated, IF you brush hog under the trees watch out.  A branch can get caught on the stack and come loose and whack you in the face.  Just saying! Woman Embarassed

Esteemed Contributor

Esteemed Contributor

@KKJ wrote:

I too have a zero-turn mower and it's great but they're pricey and could only afford to get it on a 3-yr payment plan. Here's a mechanic question:  I got this mower brand new a few yrs ago and now whenever I go to start it the battery is dead & must get someone to jump-start.  Shouldn't a battery last longer than that in a mower?

Do you charge it before you put it away for the year?  I’m trying that this year.  You might want to remove the battery if it’s cold when it’s in storage.