Esteemed Contributor

You would think that with as much as I pay in rent, lawn care would be included, but it isn't.

It's up to me to keep the front and back yard, and plant trimmed.

So today I decided to tackle my small front yard.

I don't have a lawnmower, just a push reel mower and a weedwhacker.

As I said, my front yard is tiny, so I decided to go at it with my weedwhacker.

Then there is a big shrub, and its branches was protruding on to the sidewalk, so I attacked that with my pruning sheers, and removed about a good 1/3 of the plant.

But at least now the front of my house looks nice, and there is nothing obstructing people when they walk in the sidewalk.

Even small yards are a lot of work!😄

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819   Yep....we have a 'standard size' yard, what ever that means...there is ALWAYS something to do.  I am able to do the yard work, trimming, planting, weeding.....dh mows and trims.  I am not sure what will happen as I get older.

Esteemed Contributor

I was thinking just today how nice it would be if all I had to worry about as far as my residence is concerned was writing a rent check.  

Keepin' it real.
Valued Contributor

I did move to a place where I just write a check and never do any yardwork or landscaping; only now I go to my parents and help them with theirs Smiley Very Happy. I spent yesterday working their garden for a couple of hours and hauling some small limbs and branches out to the road (came down during a thunderstorm). 

Of course this morning walking completely upright is not comfortable Smiley Embarassed

I know I'm an oddball but I actually enjoy it and miss doing it at my own home. It's a form of exercise that never seems like exercise to me.

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Honored Contributor

I am retired and over 66.  I have an average sized front yard and a huge back yard with 4 very large trees.  I find yard work to be like therapy. I go into a totally peaceful and serene mode when working outside.  

In the last week, I had 2 tree stumps ground out. I hauled all the wood mulch to put around plants and trees.  I filled the holes with good soil and planted grass seed.  I've transplanted perennials and annuals.  I do all the mowing, trimming bushes, etc.  I have a list a mile long of other outside projects.  

The down side is that I'm not getting to the inside projects.  I plan on painting the bathroom, LR, DR and K this summer...if I can bring myself inside long enough.  I have everything to paint the BR so hopefully I can get that done soon.  The others may become winter projects when I'm stuck inside.

Respected Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

I am retired and over 66.  I have an average sized front yard and a huge back yard with 4 very large trees.  I find yard work to be like therapy. I go into a totally peaceful and serene mode when working outside.  

In the last week, I had 2 tree stumps ground out. I hauled all the wood mulch to put around plants and trees.  I filled the holes with good soil and planted grass seed.  I've transplanted perennials and annuals.  I do all the mowing, trimming bushes, etc.  I have a list a mile long of other outside projects.  

The down side is that I'm not getting to the inside projects.  I plan on painting the bathroom, LR, DR and K this summer...if I can bring myself inside long enough.  I have everything to paint the BR so hopefully I can get that done soon.  The others may become winter projects when I'm stuck inside.

@CalminHeart  You are a very busy lady with lots of energy. I was feeling tired reading all that you do and are going to do. Good for you. It is wonderful that you are able to do so many things. 

Honored Contributor

Congrats on all your hard work!  It does make you feel good when you sit and look at it though.  I have so much trimming and weeding to do, which I did a few days ago, but I was really happy when I got done.  Unfortunately, it needs a touch up already!  I sort of enjoy it but it is a never ending job!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@esmerelda I have that same dream but then @SunSprite and I have the same parents.  Smiley Very Happy

Congrats on getting it done @Anonymous032819 !  Especially when it's so hot.  It's the chore I dread the most.  So happy when it's done until the grass and bushes laugh in the face of your hard work and grow again.  

Esteemed Contributor

When we downsized to a townhouse from a home with 10 acres of land, it was an adjustment for us.  I have to say though, I love writing the check for the fees that cover all the outside landscaping/snow removal.  Myself, I don't miss working in the yard at all, my hubby though was one of those as mentioned that found it therapeutic.   Now he goes to our sons home and works in his yard now and then.  So at least he can still putter about when the feeling strikes.   And it helps them out as they have been essential workers through the whole virus thing.  

Esteemed Contributor

Don't misunderstand...I enjoy yard work...when I have the time and when the weather cooperates.  And like someone said, inside work waits.  Some of the outside work won't. One of my favorite summer things is mowing and that's 3 or 4 hours every two weeks or less. Then there's catching up following the previously disagreeable weather. 

But my thought wasn't only about outside work. It was about the odd sound and aging systems and waiting for the shoe to drop. 

Keepin' it real.