Reply
Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,614
Registered: ‎03-12-2010

Re: Wow! What is wrong with this picture?

On 3/3/2015 mominohio said:
On 3/3/2015 SoftRaindrops said:
On 3/3/2015 Complicated said:

never mind, not going to make a dent.

I read your reply and I completely agree with it.

I would far prefer to be called a bleeding heart than a cold, callous you know what, who cares nothing about anyone else but A number 1.

Sorry Complicated wasn't inclined to leave up the post. But, just because someone sees the reality of a situation and points out that personal responsibility is paramount in success and failure at all levels, and refuses to buy into the the victim mentality, doesn't make them uncaring or out for only themselves. Tough love, people, tough love.

Tough love? More like any excuse that makes it easy to live with oneself when they don't have any empathy for someone down on their luck.

Personal responsibility is about giving a hand to someone in need. Personal responsibility is having the ability to see, regarding employment, that none of us are on a level playing field. And the ability to decipher that and do what it takes to try and help people in need. If that is your definition of a bleeding heart, so be it. I'd rather be a bleeding heart than someone who lives my life with a dozen excuses giving myself permission to denigrate the poor.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Posts: 205
Registered: ‎03-14-2013

Re: Wow! What is wrong with this picture?

Out of the pictures she posted, I think the slavery issue is the most important, and the most horrifying. Interesting that we all had the opportunity to comment on any of these, and we all got stuck commenting about one company.

Super Contributor
Posts: 1,417
Registered: ‎09-20-2014

Re: Wow! What is wrong with this picture?

I agree that we aren't on the same level playing field. But you have to admit that SOME people who don't have enough money are living above their means....living like we ARE all on the same level playing field. Then they HAVE to get government assistance, file for bankruptcy, etc. because they get into trouble.

There are people who are truly living in poverty through no fault of their own. I believe those people are in the minority.

It's troubling to me that many only accuse others of not having a heart instead of tackling the actual problem here --- managing your income, being smart with your purchases and working like a dog to get ahead.

Regular Contributor
Posts: 238
Registered: ‎01-13-2015

Re: Wow! What is wrong with this picture?

On 3/3/2015 inallsincerity said:

Out of the pictures she posted, I think the slavery issue is the most important, and the most horrifying. Interesting that we all had the opportunity to comment on any of these, and we all got stuck commenting about one company.

Good observation. I thought so too.

Regular Contributor
Posts: 205
Registered: ‎03-14-2013

Re: Wow! What is wrong with this picture?

On 3/3/2015 Marmalade said:
On 3/3/2015 inallsincerity said:

Out of the pictures she posted, I think the slavery issue is the most important, and the most horrifying. Interesting that we all had the opportunity to comment on any of these, and we all got stuck commenting about one company.

Good observation. I thought so too.

Have you ever heard of the CNN Freedom Project? Now we all haveSmile

Super Contributor
Posts: 366
Registered: ‎01-13-2015

Re: Wow! What is wrong with this picture?

On 3/3/2015 SoftRaindrops said:
On 3/3/2015 mominohio said:
On 3/3/2015 SoftRaindrops said:
On 3/3/2015 mominohio said:
On 3/3/2015 terrier3 said:
On 3/3/2015 mominohio said:

As to the picture in the OP, the billions received in government assistance isn't because of Walmart's low wages, it is because a large portion of those receiving those benefits are too lazy to do better, don't want to do better, and purposefully set themselves up in a job with hours and wages that fall just within the guidelines to keep getting that federal assistance.

I Walmart paid double, those people would still be on the dole, as they would be sure to only work half the amount of hours, in order to continue their eligibility for the programs.

As the mom of a former Walmart worker, you couldn't be more wrong.

Many, if not most, Walmart workers are just people trying to make a living and this was the best job they could find. Most Walmart workers are p/t - the company does this on purpose to limit benefits. They cut medical benefits in 2015 - prior to that you could get a VERY rudimentary health insurance policy if you had worked for them either f/t or for 2 years p/t. This year they changed the long term p/t requirements to 30 -39 hours a week p/t only. They didn't notify their employees in advance - they just said that if you averaged less than 30 hours/wk. in 2014 you were ineligible for HI in 2015. Since many p/t Walmart employees work 3 days a week (24 hours), they were shut out of HI this year. They were directed to apply for Medicaid on the ACA exchange.

They also are notorious for changing shifts every week. It's tough to plan a college schedule (or a second job!) if you don't know from week to week when you will be scheduled. If you "block out" time due to another job/school or any other reason, your hours are greatly reduced. They basically give the most hours to people who are available 24/7 - but even then they don't get f/t!

The main problem at Walmart isn't workers cutting shifts to get benefits. Even working FULL TIME there at $8 an hour, an employee would make $16,640 a year. The income level for Medicaid is $16,100 a year for one person (138% of poverty level). If you are a single mother with one child and work there FULL TIME, you still would be eligible for Medicaid, food stamps and other assistance. Even when they raise pay to $9, a single mom would still be eligible for assistance.

So claiming the moochers who work there would just ask to have their hours cut is patently false...even working there full time (and very few workers at a store are f/t), many workers STILL qualify for gvt. assistance.

These are entry level jobs, and not intended to support entire families. People who need and want to better themselves can and will, whether within Walmart or by finding better jobs or educational opportunities that lead to better jobs.

Sitting in a minimum wage job, or just above minimum wage, and whining about your lot in life is a full time job for some, but seems to be more a battle cry from those not even living the actual life.

The wages, hours, and scheduling aren't different from much of the other restaurant and retail work available out there, but Walmart being so large and profitable seems to be the big target, while others do the same thing without being mentioned.

My statements are not patently false about the moochers. Full time, part time, whatever, they, by the millions, know the system and the level at which they must underperform to stay on the dole. Lets put the blame where it belongs for MOST, and hold responsible those that have families when they can't or won't work and achieve at the level necessary to live a decent life, and provide for them. Let's stop blaming businesses that actually provide work, opportunity to learn, earn, advance, or move on to something better.

Tell that to a young mother whose husband just left her with two children that she is unable to feed. Tell that to a person born into poverty with an educational system that has failed because they live in a school district wrought with poverty. All of your statements about the working poor are wrong on every level and just that......assumptions and a desire to put blame on people living in poverty to help your conscience. Just another example of the blame game.

None of us start on the same playing field. Some of us have had opportunities given to us from the minute we were born. Having a little empathy and using our intellect to understand that we're all in this together hurts no one.

This is the typical rampage of the 'bleeding heart'. Everyone has an excuse, a 'good reason' and a pass not to live up to their responsibility.

I come from people who had no start in life. Poverty, broken homes, incest, no high school education, alcoholic parent, abuse, abandonment. They had nowhere to go but up, and they did because they came up in a time where if you didn't you plain didn't have. There were no safety nets like today. Decisions about who to marry, when to have kids were contemplated because there was no backup plan and they knew they would be responsible.

Many People today do what feels good, what they want for now, with no regard to what the consequences will be, or how they will pick up the pieces if plan A fails (if they are even smart enough to have a plan A).

None of us do have the same playing field, but we all have the opportunity to advance, if we want to bad enough. Using our empathy and intellect to understand we are all in this together is the exact way I arrive at my opinions on the idea that most people are where they are because of their own doing. There will always be those that are dealt a bad hand from which they never recover, but it is becoming the few who are taking care of the many, and a great percentage of that 'many' have no empathy for what they are taking from those who are giving. The givers need to stand up and be counted, and demand that others take responsibility for their own lives.

Quit blaming big business for the poverty in this nation, and put it back to the individual, the family unit, and the community.

I guess that helps you sleep at night. So be it.

Amen!

And add to that the thought, how many people have said on their deathbed "I wish I would have kept more of my own money and helped other people less."

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,614
Registered: ‎03-12-2010

Re: Wow! What is wrong with this picture?

On 3/3/2015 SnowPink said:

I agree that we aren't on the same level playing field. But you have to admit that SOME people who don't have enough money are living above their means....living like we ARE all on the same level playing field. Then they HAVE to get government assistance, file for bankruptcy, etc. because they get into trouble.

There are people who are truly living in poverty through no fault of their own. I believe those people are in the minority.

It's troubling to me that many only accuse others of not having a heart instead of tackling the actual problem here --- managing your income, being smart with your purchases and working like a dog to get ahead.

I find your response interesting considering just yesterday you posed the question would you rather live upstairs or downstairs and you posted downstairs. That wasn't the reply of someone working like a dog to get ahead.{#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Super Contributor
Posts: 1,417
Registered: ‎09-20-2014

Re: Wow! What is wrong with this picture?

On 3/3/2015 SoftRaindrops said:
On 3/3/2015 SnowPink said:

I agree that we aren't on the same level playing field. But you have to admit that SOME people who don't have enough money are living above their means....living like we ARE all on the same level playing field. Then they HAVE to get government assistance, file for bankruptcy, etc. because they get into trouble.

There are people who are truly living in poverty through no fault of their own. I believe those people are in the minority.

It's troubling to me that many only accuse others of not having a heart instead of tackling the actual problem here --- managing your income, being smart with your purchases and working like a dog to get ahead.

I find your response interesting considering just yesterday you posed the question would you rather live upstairs or downstairs and you posted downstairs. That wasn't the reply of someone working like a dog to get ahead.{#emotions_dlg.confused1}

I wouldn't be working like a dog upstairs at all -- everything would be given to me.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,614
Registered: ‎03-12-2010

Re: Wow! What is wrong with this picture?

On 3/3/2015 SnowPink said:
On 3/3/2015 SoftRaindrops said:
On 3/3/2015 SnowPink said:

I agree that we aren't on the same level playing field. But you have to admit that SOME people who don't have enough money are living above their means....living like we ARE all on the same level playing field. Then they HAVE to get government assistance, file for bankruptcy, etc. because they get into trouble.

There are people who are truly living in poverty through no fault of their own. I believe those people are in the minority.

It's troubling to me that many only accuse others of not having a heart instead of tackling the actual problem here --- managing your income, being smart with your purchases and working like a dog to get ahead.

I find your response interesting considering just yesterday you posed the question would you rather live upstairs or downstairs and you posted downstairs. That wasn't the reply of someone working like a dog to get ahead.{#emotions_dlg.confused1}

I wouldn't be working like a dog upstairs at all -- everything would be given to me.

I think a lesson in Economics and History may change your mind on that mentality.Wink

Honored Contributor
Posts: 20,019
Registered: ‎08-08-2010

Re: Wow! What is wrong with this picture?

On 3/3/2015 inallsincerity said:

Out of the pictures she posted, I think the slavery issue is the most important, and the most horrifying. Interesting that we all had the opportunity to comment on any of these, and we all got stuck commenting about one company.

I think most have rejected the validity of the number posted on these, or at least question their source and accuracy. And you are very right, the slavery issue is most horrifying, the thread just took a different track.