Respected Contributor

No, I would never have allowed that to happen when my child was 10-months old or any age!  NEVER!  There is disconcern here for both the child and the grandparent with dementia!  How sad!

Honored Contributor

Re: Would you do this ???

[ Edited ]

wrote:

wrote:

No way!  Just because you can have children, it doesn't mean that you should.  There really should be a test for stupidity before you can reproduce.

@sheilababe In most cases there are common denominators: low income, little education, and zero common sense. The poor little kids pay the price. Very sad.

@Mimi 1883, do you know for a fact that income and education correlate with what you deem is bad parenting here? I'd love some stats on that. Otherwise, it's just a broad, baseless swipe.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

If he's never visited before, he would possibly get lost anyway, dementia or not. 

And there are many stages to dementia.  He is possibly only in the early stages which is why she felt comfortable letting them go for what was probably supposed to be a short stroll.

I really don't think the parents also have dementia and did what's being suggested here.  No need to go think the worst of everyone.  If they did, CPS will be at their door.

The parents probably thought he was perfectly capable but it didn't dawn on them that if he did lose his way he couldn't ask for help if he needed it because of the language barrier.

All's well that ended well and I am sure big lesson learned.

@Laura14 That’s the whole point...the parents are stupid!!  And, I’ll bet CPS will be at their door eventually!

@Mimi 1883  The parents made a mistake.  I highly doubt they intentionally put their child in harm's way. 

Let's have some compassion for other human beings who make human errors.  I am sure the fear and panic they experienced during the event is more than enough punishment and incentive to make sure it doesn't happen again.  

@Laura14 I have compassion for that poor child, NOT for his stupid parents and the idiotic grandfather who puts the kid in a stroller to take a walk in frigid temperatures!

@Mimi 1883 I hope you are not judged as harshly when you also misjudge a situation or person's ability.  Eventually you will because all of us do.

@Laura14, thanks for countering the high-horsing going on here. We seem to love stories in which we can sit back and smugly judge

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

If he's never visited before, he would possibly get lost anyway, dementia or not. 

And there are many stages to dementia.  He is possibly only in the early stages which is why she felt comfortable letting them go for what was probably supposed to be a short stroll.

I really don't think the parents also have dementia and did what's being suggested here.  No need to go think the worst of everyone.  If they did, CPS will be at their door.

The parents probably thought he was perfectly capable but it didn't dawn on them that if he did lose his way he couldn't ask for help if he needed it because of the language barrier.

All's well that ended well and I am sure big lesson learned.

@Laura14 That’s the whole point...the parents are stupid!!  And, I’ll bet CPS will be at their door eventually!

@Mimi 1883  The parents made a mistake.  I highly doubt they intentionally put their child in harm's way. 

Let's have some compassion for other human beings who make human errors.  I am sure the fear and panic they experienced during the event is more than enough punishment and incentive to make sure it doesn't happen again.  

@@Laura14 

,,,,, very curious, {{your assumptions}}- although your intentions were to be meant well, ( hope ), and I do weigh the balance, here.

****If so inclined,  do you have any little children, or ever did?

Frigid cold/ a baby sitting in a stroller,

'baby' has NO moving EXERCISE / a person who has dementia/ grandfather=

did not know where home was/ needed help...!

THINK!

``you said, you hardly doubt THEY intentionally put their child in harm's way,,,,,,, and that - -let's have some compassion.

Does that include for::

the child left in the car because the mother forgot her baby in a hot car for 8 (EIGHT) hours in 120 hot degrees, while she took in donuts for the 1st day of school, but WAS to take baby girl to a care center, or the mother (or father) who leaves their baby in the bathtub to answer the phone, the small child left in the swimming pool with undivided attention from the parent(s), caregiver......and I can continue on & on what I see brought into our ER at the [said] hospital I have worked or will be next scheduling?

My last encounter(s): a small 7 year old boy with a hatchet embedded in his head when the hatchet fell from a tree limb when the father went to the bathroom, the electric chain saw that was left running when the father went to ask his neighbor a question (child was 8 years old), also, the little "5" year old who rode on his grandPA's lap on a tractor, mowing the grass, then hit a rock having the tractor completely turn over with the front left wheel breaking his upper torso. Again, just curious.

" We definitely THINK differently".  DON'T WE Laura?

What if the grandfather just kept on going -for hours. No one, not knowing him, would have very little concern outside of that neighborhood, >>> of his dementia. Yes, stupid parent!!!! PARENTS!

Last year, (our neighborhood) a babysitter (70 years old) had  twins she was caring for, crossing the street and did not see the car coming around the corner at 10 mph and killing the 9 month old babies, she stepped back and was okay. This was legally termed an unfortunate accident. The caregiver babysitter said,' I did not see any car'. A small street on a small road with very heavy traffic, depending on time of day.

I can not let something as this just go by with a pass. NO!

Honored Contributor

Re: Would you do this ???

[ Edited ]

@NAES1 I think you need to find something better to do with your night.

Having kids is irrelevant unless you want to call into question every parent who has ever left their child with a teen babysitter.  Are they criminal too for being so irresponsible?

I think the only question you need to have answered is why my compassion towards a fellow human being bothers you so much.  And the only one who can answer that is you.  

Try being nice to someone instead of this.  It's amazing how much better you'll feel.

Esteemed Contributor

@Laura14

I just read your post to our company, along to my husband- (had to read yours first), though. 

"... you did not answer my question, you apparently have no idea of this serious nature, what might have been been frostbite, a baby being out in the FRIGID air over a long time, resulting in any number of noted illnesses"...

I have many poster friends, here, whom know me as a very loving and caring MOTHER.

??Again, are you a mother, or ever have been?? 

Your answer maintains, still to me, as a suffering of 'A' POVERTY OF REALIZATION ! Good Bye!

Honored Contributor

@NAES1 please enjoy your company and have a great night.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I have never understood the argument that if one does not have children, they should not participate or offer opinions in child-related topics. And I think that the posts doing so here are beyond the pale.

Esteemed Contributor

The only answer to this question is..."No I would not let him go alone, I would take a walk with them or there is no walk."

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

We really don't know anything about the mother , not her age, or if she has a diminished understanding of  the situation..

We don't even know for sure if the Grandfather just took the baby ,and wandered off, while she was busy.