Honored Contributor

If you had a ten month old baby would you let your elderly grandfather who speaks no English and has dementia and has never visited you before...would you let him take your baby out for walk in the stroller?  In the frigid cold, at that.   It ended well, the police found the pair but he (of course) got lost and could not communicate with anyone and wandered the streets for hours until the police found them a couple towns over.  What the @#$@% is wrong with people today!  

Honored Contributor

I think that mother should be investigated,  if she actually allowed this...

Honored Contributor

Not a chance!  I'd go with him, but not let him go alone...what is wrong with people?

Valued Contributor

No I wouldn't. Forget the language barrier, the dimentia would definately be the deal breaker for me.

Esteemed Contributor

Nope! Wouldn't do that. And if I was that baby's daddy I would be beyond steamed.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

@If you had a ten month old baby would you let your elderly grandfather who speaks no English and has dementia and has never visited you before...would you let him take your baby out for walk in the stroller?  In the frigid cold, at that.   It ended well, the police found the pair but he (of course) got lost and could not communicate with anyone and wandered the streets for hours until the police found them a couple towns over.  What the @#$@% is wrong with people today!  

No. I was basically a helicopter mother when she was a baby.  My elderly father kept asking if he could hold her on his lap when I was driving him somewhere, and he got upset when I said she had to be strapped in her car seat.  He was hurt I thought he couldn't hold on to her if something happened.  I knew he couldn't.

Honored Contributor

No way on God's green earth.

Respected Contributor

Absolutely not.  

Honored Contributor

If he's never visited before, he would possibly get lost anyway, dementia or not. 

And there are many stages to dementia.  He is possibly only in the early stages which is why she felt comfortable letting them go for what was probably supposed to be a short stroll.

I really don't think the parents also have dementia and did what's being suggested here.  No need to go think the worst of everyone.  If they did, CPS will be at their door.

The parents probably thought he was perfectly capable but it didn't dawn on them that if he did lose his way he couldn't ask for help if he needed it because of the language barrier.

All's well that ended well and I am sure big lesson learned.

Honored Contributor

I would never have let either parent or inlaws keep my son until he was able to take of himself. My Mom would let my son eat junk and didn't quite get what no concentrated sweets or meat meant. When my son was 7 or so we let him stay overnight with my inlaws and when we picked him up and were driving home, he wanted to know why Grandma and Grandpa wouldn't watch Seinfeld, why didn't they like Sammy Davis and what was a Ginzo? That was the first and last time my inlaws had my son to themselves.