Honored Contributor

@FlowerBear wrote:

So I have been wondering why people buy clothing and jewelry from shopping channels?

Why  not just shop in real stores?

Im not bashing anyone. I am just asking a question.

With shipping costs for returns no way would I be buying these from any shopping channel.

@FlowerBear  With a statement like this, I kinda doubt the sincerity of your question.  That statement makes it seem as though you have already have a negative opinion about home shoppers and you really don't want to know what drives them, but are rather "shaking your head" at them in disapproval.  

Even so, I will answer.  I like being home.  I enjoy just being here with my pets during the day and with my husband in the evening.  I don't like going to the mall.  I don't like the frustration of dealing with horrendous drivers or hassle of finding a parking spot.  I also wonder about my safety nowadays with all the crazy stuff I hear about "out there".  Things I used to do in my younger years without giving a second thought, I'm more reluctant about today.  I hate trying on clothes anyway, let alone in a dirty fitting room where others have left things behind.  I don't know if stores even have floor sales people anymore, it's been that long since I've been in one, but I don't like being followed around and repeatedly asked if I needed any help.  When I was going to the mall, more often than not, I would end up disappointed and frustrated by what was offered for someone my size (tall and larger than average), so I couldn't just pull something off the rack at any of the big name stores.  I'd have to go to specialty stores and pay a lot more per item.  I appreciate having access to brands I'd never heard about before, but have made a positive difference in my life (Vionic, Alegria, LOGO, Denim & Co., Carole Hochman, Skinn Cosmetics, etc.).  More and more I'm hearing about big department stores closing, too, so it sounds like more people are going to be getting on the home shopping train out of necessity, shipping charges or not.  

To me, the way people complain about shipping costs can get a bit annoying and sound like a broken record, to be honest with you.  Sure, I love free shipping as much as the next person, but if I really want something, I don't let it be a deterrent to ordering.  I consider it a cost of convenience and a swap for the gasoline I'd be burning if I had to drive somewhere to shop in person.  The closest mall to me, if I did want to go, is roughly a 38 minute drive each way so that isn't free either.  See my point.? 

Respected Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@FlowerBear wrote:

So I have been wondering why people buy clothing and jewelry from shopping channels?

Why  not just shop in real stores?

Im not bashing anyone. I am just asking a question.

With shipping costs for returns no way would I be buying these from any shopping channel.

@FlowerBear  With a statement like this, I kinda doubt the sincerity of your question.  That statement makes it seem as though you have already have a negative a opinion about home shoppers and you really don't want to know what drives them, but rather "shaking your head" at them in disapproval.  

Even so, I will answer.  I like being home.  I enjoy just being here with my pets during the day and with my husband in the evening.  I don't like going to the mall.  I don't like the frustration of dealing with horrendous drivers or hassle of finding a parking spot.  I also wonder about my safety nowadays with all the crazy stuff I hear about "out there".  Things I used to do in my younger years without giving a second though, I'm more reluctant about today.  I hate trying on clothes anyway, let alone in a dirty fitting room where others have left things behind.  I don't know if stores even have floor sales people anymore, it's been that long since I've been in one, but I don't like being followed around and repeatedly asked if I needed any help.  When I was going to the mall, more often than not, I would end up disappointed in what was offered for someone my size (tall and larger than average), so I couldn't just pull something off the rack at any of the big name stores.  I'd have to go to specialty stores and pay a lot more per item.  More and more I'm hearing about big department stores closing, too, so it sounds like more people are going to be getting on the home shopping train out of necessity, shipping charges or not.  

To me, the way people complain about shipping costs can get a bit annoying and sound like a broken record, to be honest with you.  Sure, I love free shipping as much as the next person, but if I really want something, I don't let it be a deterrent to ordering.  I consider it a cost of convenience and a swap for the gasoline I'd be burning if I had to drive somewhere to shop in person.  The closest mall to me, if I did want to go, is roughly a 38 minute drive each way so that isn't free either.  See my point.? 

@JeanLouiseFinch I couldn’t have said it better myself.  I won’t have to deal with rude people and won’t have to worry about getting shot at the mall or getting my car stolen, etc etc.  besides, I love Susan Graver’s Liquid knit, and can’t find that inside the mall.  I’ve only done one return in all the clothes I’ have purchased on the Q.  

Esteemed Contributor

My first thought was who wonders about such a thing in the first place and then posts that thought on a shopping channel's forum.

It's a matter of personal preference.

Respected Contributor

I have to drive an hour to an area with a variety of stores and a mall. So it’s easier to just shop online.  As far as clothing goes, I’ve pretty much gotten sizes down pat and don’t have to return very often. 

Honored Contributor

Morning @FlowerBear. I know for myself mobility issues and recovery from a couple of heart attacks made it a necessity to shop on line. Before that, I preferred to shop in person. I enjoyed going to the mall and interacting with people in person. I also like actually seeing what I am buying and it cut back on returning anything.

The mall still serves a purpose, though, for me. I walk the length of the mall and it gives me some much needed exercise when the weather is inclement. I used to love going to the gym but now feel walking is my best form of exercise.

Have a good Sunday...

Esteemed Contributor

@FlowerBear  I understand your question completely since I, also, felt the same way for many years.

Health issues forced me to stop working and I simply didn't have the energy to shop for several years. Fortunately, QVC did have some nice clothing at the time and I was able to find things needed at the time. I haven't purchased anything in recent years, with the push of polyester and mystery fabrics. (I buy natural fabrics such a cotton, silk, linen, wool, etc.) 

Health issues will always be a problem, but I'm strong enough to shop Dillard's and Von Maur again, which also enables me to get in some additional exercise and change of scenery. Swimming laps and daily walks was getting old . . . and the variety of people is such a joy! Family and friends cannot fill every need. Smiley Happy

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

Real stores have a crummy selection of petite clothing. I have to hunt from store ,to store, to find my size, and something I like. I don't have to do that here

Real stores rarely carry a size 5 shoe ,and it they do, it's only a pair or two....I jump for joy ,I can let the world be my oyster ,online.

Honored Contributor

Some people are too tired after working or perhaps caring for children/grandchildren or are a care-giver for a loved one.  Some live in rural areas where local shopping is slim to none.  Some are home bound due to health issues.  And perhaps on RARE occasions, QVC might actually have a GOOD DEAL with a GOOD PRICE!  Some like E-Z Pay.  

There are some peope that have bought into the feeling the QVC is a family, so they buy out of a sense of loyalty---BUT THAT'S NOT ME

Jewelry selections are VERY LIMITED these days in local stores--and QVC gives you the opportunity to purchase from designers like Or Paz, Carolyn Pollack, Hagit--pieces that are unique and reasonably priced.  ..........

These days I feel that Q's clothing lines all look alike (example: I saw a lace top--Graver, Isaac, D&C all had something similar), their clothing prices are uncompetive and sizing inconsistent so I rarely buy clothing from them....I have no problem with sizing in local stores--- I shop Dillards, Macy's, JCP, and Stein Mart.....sometimes Marshalls

QVC USED TO sell unique kitchen gadgets I didnt see anywhere else so I did purchase and still enjoy using these products, sadly they now show the same limited ones...

I do a combination of online and local shopping!!!  

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

My first preference is to get out and shop in the stores.  My tax dollars stay here and I am very picky, like to see items in my hands and check for flaws, etc.  Some items I order from QVC I can't find anywhere else.  Blessed to have found the Denim & Co elastic waist stretch capri because of my crazy figure.  I was ill during the last Christmas season and QVC came in handy at that time.  Also, sending a gift long distance, the bill to ship to can't be beat.  So, I love to shop but QVC comes in and saves the day sometimes.   

Respected Contributor

My question was valid. I really did wonder.

You all have made very valid and fabulous reasons why! It makes total sense to me now!

My mindset was if I buy those things from shopping channels, it will cost alot if it has to be returned. And I do my share of returning to stores due to so many times things dont fit right or shrink once washed etc.

But in the cases you have talked about I really can understand why now  Smiley Happy

I was IN NO WAY being harsh or bashing anyone whatsoever. 

I simply was truly wondering.

And also in my wondering there are other things to be bought on shopping channels than jewelery and clothing to the person that commented about it.