Honored Contributor
I have had a chip in my windshield twice from rocks. They have a way to repair it before it forms a crack and insurance covers all of it; no out of pocket for me. I had one repaired three years ago and it never got worse. Of course I have a Lexus so when the back window was cracked by a rock from a passing truck, they said they had to replace the entire back door and window.....$11k. Insurance paid $1200. I hate State Farm.
Honored Contributor
Safelite is much cheaper than going to the dealer, and they do a good job. Windshields is all they do,
Trusted Contributor

My company has full glass, so I never see the bills, but about a week after receiving my new car, driving on 95 south,  a rock came out of a dump truck in front of me and hit the windshield in front of my face.   I assumed the bill would be about $700-$800, completely covered by insurance.  

Esteemed Contributor

Sorry you are going through this.  In the state of FL, it is mandatory that insurance companies cover windshield replacement at no cost to the insured.  We have had it done at least twice since we have been here.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor
@puppylips
I never knew that about Florida.
There's no such thing as no cost to the insured though, the insurance company are in business to make a profit. Everyone in sunny Florida is paying for those windshields though higher rates.
Respected Contributor
@hckynut
YES time is of the essence time and temperature can turn a chip into a shattered windshield!
Honored Contributor

Re: Windshield Shock

[ Edited ]

I just used Safelite for a complete replacement, it was $360, insurance paid it all, and no deductible. Comes under comprehensive, so no deductible.  Safelite told me if the crack or chip is more than 6 inches long it cannot be repaired, only replaced. Safelite came ot my house, and I have a mid sized sedan, we were very pleased. 

Honored Contributor

When you pay for comprehensive insurance and have it pay for 100% of a windshield replacement then it isn't really no-cost. You pay for it when you buy your insurance and you still have to file a claim for the broken windshield which will eventually come back to you in higher premiums. Nothing comes without a cost.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

When you pay for comprehensive insurance and have it pay for 100% of a windshield replacement then it isn't really no-cost. You pay for it when you buy your insurance and you still have to file a claim for the broken windshield which will eventually come back to you in higher premiums. Nothing comes without a cost.

My agent already assured me there will be no increase in premium for a small claim like the windshield. Comprehensive is good to have. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

@froggy wrote:

Windshield repair has always been covered under our comprehensive auto insurance - not subject to deductible. I've never paid a penney under any indurance I've ever had.

Yes, this is important to point out Froggy, windshield repair is one of the things that come under comprehensive (unless you hit something and cause the damage).  Comprehensive covers things like rocks hitting you.

The key point is low deductible comprehensive coverage on modern (also known as expensive cars) is becoming very expensive because things like windshields are now in the thousands to replace. Comprehensive coverage is no longer small price repairs.  Insurance companies in turn now charge much more than in years past.

A friend of ours owns an insurance brokerage firm (we do not get insurance through his firm) told us years ago at a dinner party about the comprehensive expenses and fees rising very quickly and many people not adjusting their deductibles appropriately, this is a windfall for the insurance company(s).  Most people only watch and compare on the Collision side of their insurance.  

We prefer to keep our hard-earned money and raised our deductibles. 

@AbrowneyegirlSo you didn't pay the full $750, right?  And your deductible would have been the same if the windshield was $1000.

I don't understand the problem.

Keepin' it real.