Honored Contributor

Re: Windshield Shock

[ Edited ]

@Abrowneyegirl 

We have chips in both of our vehicles windshields. Took them to a glass place that does some kind of treatment to the chip. Our 2004 SUV and our 2010 gas miser had this treatment done and we haven't had to replace either. Don't remember the exact cost but know it was under 50 bucks.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

I've never heard of "inexpensive windshields".  I think there are federal regulations with respect to windshields.  I think ALL windshields are the same.

Respected Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@Abrowneyegirl 

We have chips in both of our vehicles windshields. Took them to a glass place that does some kind of treatment to the chip. Our 2004 SUV and our 2010 gas miser had this treatment done and we haven't had to replace either. Don't remember the exact cost but know it was under 50 bucks.

hckynut

Yes it is much cheaper to fill a chip, but not all chips can be repaired it depends on the type of crack that develops from the chip, how close it is from the frame, etc......

Respected Contributor

@Cats3000 wrote:

I've never heard of "inexpensive windshields".  I think there are federal regulations with respect to windshields.  I think ALL windshields are the same.

NO, not all windshields are NOT the same!

Some contain rain sensors, some contain cameras, some have fine mesh defrosters, some cars have heads up displays, the list goes on and on.  

The time it takes to install such windshields also vary by hours so you also have to pay the tech.

There are Fed regulations that apply to all cars and safety standards but all cars do not cost the same, some are more expensive than others.

Respected Contributor

@froggy wrote:

Windshield repair has always been covered under our comprehensive auto insurance - not subject to deductible. I've never paid a penney under any indurance I've ever had.

Yes, this is important to point out Froggy, windshield repair is one of the things that come under comprehensive (unless you hit something and cause the damage).  Comprehensive covers things like rocks hitting you.

The key point is low deductible comprehensive coverage on modern (also known as expensive cars) is becoming very expensive because things like windshields are now in the thousands to replace. Comprehensive coverage is no longer small price repairs.  Insurance companies in turn now charge much more than in years past.

A friend of ours owns an insurance brokerage firm (we do not get insurance through his firm) told us years ago at a dinner party about the comprehensive expenses and fees rising very quickly and many people not adjusting their deductibles appropriately, this is a windfall for the insurance company(s).  Most people only watch and compare on the Collision side of their insurance.  

We prefer to keep our hard-earned money and raised our deductibles. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Windshield Shock

[ Edited ]

I refuse to purchase low-deductible comp insurance. It's too expensive.  Instead I take the money and sock it away in a 'just-in-case' account...a savings account for stuff like that or any other sudden mishaps or emergencies. I live in an area where there is baseball and golf ball size hail. That and terribly high winds with flying debris.

A brand new windshield installed on my car costs about $350. I wouldn't even file an insurance claim for that amount, even if they paid 100% for a new windshield. Filing a claim will cause my premiums to go up.

Honored Contributor

Windshield repair or replacement has always been covered under our auto insurance with no deductible.  We never paid a penny.  

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl 

I got them in as soon as I could when I knew they were chipped. The tech told me expediency getting a chip fixed can make the difference in the outcome. Once it goes from a chip, to a crack. He said that is when it is usually to late.

Ours were easy to see. Both on the drivers side and directly in our field of vision. Kinda like the bugs from highway driving, always seem to be exactly where you don't want them.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

I once had a very tiny chip in my windshield.  Waited a while and finally decided to have it repaired because it was getting a little bigger.  I park in a garage at home in a corner spot and thought I should park it out in the lot so the technician can have room to work. Well it was a hot sunny day and just a few minutes in the sun caused the tiny chip to turn into a 4 inch crack!  The guy told me you should keep it out of sunlight as that makes it grow rapidly. He was still able to repair if for me and it was fully covered under my insurance.  

Honored Contributor

Way back in the late 80's we had a Dodge Ram Charger here in the Texas August heat.  At the grocery store I leaned the driver's side Captain Chair toward windshield for the groceries to be put in the back.  That little tap of the seat to my windshield shattered the windshield.  I was able to drive home but it was no chip or line it was pretty well shattered.  Amazing what can happen.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."