Respected Contributor

One of our cars got a chip from a flying stone on the highway and unfortunately, it needs to be replaced.

The tech was happy to report we had an inexpensive windshield, it was only $750 (we only paid the deductible) !!???!!!!

I was SHOCKED, now it has been several years since I had to replace a windshield...... but a cheap windshield is $750!?!? 

I asked around and many people note the tech nowadays extends to the windshield and now they cost thousands to replace!

OUCH!

Honored Contributor

I hear you!  In fact at 10:12 am on friday on the 101 headed north a granite rock semi, two lanes over tossed a rock at our window!  We could see it flying in air.  Hit the sheild of our Land Rover going 60mph. Huge hole like a bullet, then cracked to each side.  We were on our way to see attorney for something else.  He said he was hit with rocks from trucks 3 times in the last 10 days!  It costs me 100 bucks for someone to come out.  Insurance will pay.  But because of the make and model of our car it is a special order sheild.  We have to wait until tuesday!!  It is such an inconvenience.  They need to keep the darn rocks in their truck.  I am calling granite rock tomorrow and give them what for. 😡

Honored Contributor

We got complete coverage for windshield replacement. Husbands little Hyundai car windshield cost 400 to replace. We paid nothing.

they charge you 100 bucks to come out to your house and do it

insurance ain't paying for that. You go in and sit and wait your turn LOL

Honored Contributor

$750 is a lot for a windshield, BUT, it really depends on what kind of car or truck you have.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I had to replace my windshield recently.  We went to a restaurant, parked the car & when I came out there was a 6" crack on the windshield.

Thank goodness my insurance paid for most of it.  My cost was $100.00.

Respected Contributor

Re: Windshield Shock

[ Edited ]

We seem to get a lot of cracked windshields here. I’ve had quite a few replaced over the years, never had to pay anything and no charge to come to you.

Honored Contributor

i am in nocal .  Costs 100 to come to house.  It is far to go in, and it takes an hour in bumper to bumper traffic.  I am going to call cause it was negligence.  In California the companies can be libel if it flys off the truck.  If it flys on to street then bounces on windshield they arenot liable. Go figure.  Lol

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Windshield Shock

[ Edited ]

I’m in Arizona and windshield replacement is a regular occurrence due to all the rocks around. I think I’ve replaced windshields three times in the past year. 2 cars/3 windshields. My insurance pays it all. I’ve never paid a dime. And no charge for them to come to me.

Honored Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

I’m in Arizona and windshield replacement is a regular occurrence due to all the rocks around. I think I’ve replaced windshields three times in the past year. 2 cars/3 windshields. My insurance pays it all. I’ve never paid a dime. And no charge for them to come to me.

@Meowingkitty    I'm also in AZ.........rocks, gravel, trash........also plays havoc with your tires!   Ugh.    di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

Windshield repair has always been covered under our comprehensive auto insurance - not subject to deductible. I've never paid a penney under any indurance I've ever had.