Esteemed Contributor

Re: Will never go to afternoon movie again!...

I haven't seen a movie in a theater since 1998. First, there is no movie so good that I can't wait until I can get it on Direct TV, then there are the talkers and the people with really young kids. And I agree about the volume, holy cow, you can't hear for an hour after you leave. My daughter goes to the movies a lot and has gone and complained about the gabby teenagers mostly and the ones that can't live without their cell phones being on. She said after the credit all you see are people checking their phones. For the love of Pete you were out of touch for what, 2 and 1/2 hours. Can't even wait until they get to their car. What did people do before cell phones when they went out for the night? Many years ago I worked in a nicer restaurant and people would bring in a 2 or 3 yr. old and have drinks, appetizer, dinner, dessert and then coffee while visiting with fellow diners. Of course the kids would get bored and antsy. Sometimes they would be there until 10:00 pm. Other people did not appreciate the fussy and crying child but again it's the parents. Of course a little one is going be tired and miserable. Common sense seems to be a thing of the past.

Super Contributor

My husband and I find the best time for a movie in a theatre is the first showing in the day after the movie has been around a few weeks. I would never go on a weekend. Of course, we have the luxury of choosing a time these days, not like when I was working 5 days a week and options were limited.

Respected Contributor

DH and I go ONLY to matinees. The price is cheaper and usually there are no kids. However, we refuse to go to a movie on a weekend or a Friday. We are retired and leave the evenings and weekends to those who work. Not for us.

Some older people feel it is their right to comment during a movie and THAT is annoying!

Honored Contributor

I feel extremely lucky. I never run into any of this stuff when I go to the movies. I always go to the first show of the day and blissfully watch my movie. And now that I've discovered the leather recliner theaters, I'm in heaven.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

On 4/6/2015 redtabby said:

My husband and I find the best time for a movie in a theatre is the first showing in the day after the movie has been around a few weeks. I would never go on a weekend. Of course, we have the luxury of choosing a time these days, not like when I was working 5 days a week and options were limited.

The earliest movies around here are 11-ish. This (unfortunately) is when the Mommy brigade attends. They've sent the older kids to school and can do a movie & lunch before school is out.

Super Contributor

Bottom line is that we go to movies made for ""grown-ups"". Not that any adult is not entitled to go to a Harry Potter movie (I know many do) or an Insurgent movie but they are based on books written for children/young adults which means that kids from about 5 on up will want to see them. If you choose those movies and choose to attend on a week-end holiday you'll run into kids and kids will get noisy. Every parent knows you can't sit through a 2 hour show with children totally quiet. You're asking way too much.

Esteemed Contributor

I stopped going to the movies when my children got old enough to go without me. I have a big screen TV and pay-per-view. I can see whatever I want in the comfort of my home without screaming kids and overpriced popcorn.
Honored Contributor

On 4/7/2015 Vivian said: I stopped going to the movies when my children got old enough to go without me. I have a big screen TV and pay-per-view. I can see whatever I want in the comfort of my home without screaming kids and overpriced popcorn.

And you can pause it to take a bathroom or snack run and rewind it if you've missed something. All positives for staying home at the movies.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

UPDATE from the OP;

I heard from the movie theatre and they're sending me free passes for movies in the mail.

Also they apologized and said that the employees are to be checking each theatre (there's a lot in this mall theatre) to make sure nothing like what happened is going on. But I know from experience they never check during movies, they only come in when its over to sweep before the next group comes in to see the next movie.

Thank you for the replies!

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Super Contributor

On 4/7/2015 Shorty2U said:

UPDATE from the OP;

I heard from the movie theatre and they're sending me free passes for movies in the mail.

Also they apologized and said that the employees are to be checking each theatre (there's a lot in this mall theatre) to make sure nothing like what happened is going on. But I know from experience they never check during movies, they only come in when its over to sweep before the next group comes in to see the next movie.

Thank you for the replies!

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup} That is what they should have done. Glad you made them aware, although some people would not have said anything and just harbored resentment. Sounds like management might be familiar with this problem, but it's good for them to receive customer feedback so they can make changes/improvements. Remember, YOU'RE the CUSTOMER, and YOU'RE PAYING their salary. If nobody enjoys going to the movies because of other inconsiderate patrons, they lose money and possibly their jobs.

Nice to hear that it worked out well! Hopefully your next movie theater experience will be totally enjoyable!