Esteemed Contributor

My dog died on Sunday and my landlord is not renewing my lease--happened on Monday. She only said they are planning to do something different with my unit!!!! I think she wants to raise the rent significantly. That is the difference. I am going to move to CO. where my son lives. I have found a place to live and arranged for movers. I just can't get in the mood to pack. I need to be gone by 4/30. I just feel like I have been hit in the gut. My schedule of walking the dog in the morning and afternoon went away. All, I want to do is sleep. I have never been so devastated that I feel frozen. For almost two months, I was walking on eggshells with my dog and now I think I am just exhausted with all the stress. I don't know how to get beyond these feelings. Thank you for all your input.

Honored Contributor

I a sorry for the loss of your pet. We have lost 3 dogs during the course of our marriage and they all hurt terribly......it is still very fresh for you, give yourself time to grieve for your dog.

As far as the move goes, since you have a deadline you don't have a lot of time to dilly dally, I would do 'something' every day towards the move so that you are not caught off guard the day before your deadline......good luck with your move to a new area and maybe at some time in the future you will be ready for a new pet.

Esteemed Contributor

I've been there. So many changes that you have so little control over. It can be overwhelming and it's hard to see the bright side.

You have more than 3 weeks before your move. Can you make a list to do just one thing per day? Pack one box or take a bag of items to Goodwill?

Do you have someone to talk things over with? Can you give DS a call?

My best wishes for your move and the good things that are in your future.

Trusted Contributor

elated, I am so sorry for the loss of your dog. And, for all of the other stress in your life right now.

We lost our elderly dog in October, and our elderly cat in February. I had been stressed out, taking care of our dog's "senior" issues for about two years and knew the end was coming. Some nights, my sleep was being constantly interrupted.

When he passed, I felt sad and almost a little relieved. And, I spent quite a bit of time this winter sleeping, and was completely unmotivated. When our cat passed in February, I got knocked for another loop. I'm just starting to bounce back. And, many times each day, I still briefly think that one of them needs to be fed, etc. And, I still expect to be greeted at the door, when I come home.

Your grief is so new....not even a week. A lot of what you are feeling is normal and, because of the move, you are really in stress overload. And, you are overwhelmed. When I get overwhelmed I end up just feeling paralyzed.

Try to group your chores by days, and at least do what is on the list for the day. If you feel like doing more, continue. I think that as you get started, and make some headway, you will start to feel less overwhelmed. Do you have any close friends that could give you a hand. Having company would also help boost your mood.

Good luck in your new home!

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Super Contributor
I'm so sorry for the loss of your dog. I know how much that hurts. I understand that you feel pressured now and yet have no energy or desire to do anything. However, that might work to your advantage. If you can force yourself to just do something towards the move each day, as the days go by, it may occupy your mind and help keep you from thinking so much about the pain you feel for your dog. I certainly wish you the best, with your feelings and about the move.
Esteemed Contributor

I'm sorry you're hurting, discouraged and anxious at this time. Do get active and embrace the fact there are better days ahead. Sometimes we don't make changes until we are pinned against the wall. Send that positive energy out to the universe. Please note my quote -- fall down 7 times, get up 8 times! Be that guy. Again, sorry you're discouraged, but only you can chase away that dark energy. Do take care and report back.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

Those are really serious markers in a person's life. oh{#emotions_dlg.crying} I am so sorry; Your precious dog passing, and having to move.? Maybe just take a while to mourn your dog. Then Tackle the moving.

Again, I am sorry. It is reasonable you would feel the way you do. You were on overload, and stressed. It has taken a toll, your body wants to rest

Super Contributor

I am so sorry you are going through all of this at once.

When I am in a really bad place ... I make a happiness list. I try to write 7 things I am grateful for every day.

I also have a Dr Seuss saying in my office that makes me smile ...

Don't cry because its over ... Smile because it happened.

Esteemed Contributor

Update: I have started to pack. I have finished one bedroom. I am 68 years old and I am exhausted. I am running up and down my stairs to the trash. Not fun. By the time I am done packing I should be thinner. I have no one to help me. It is not fun. I can't wait until I am done. I am giving a lot of my clothes and shoes away to Vietnam Vets of America. I am still very depressed but working hard. Staying alone all day and night is not good for your mental health. I will be glad to get out of my apartment because everywhere I look it brings back memories of him.

Trusted Contributor

My thoughts and prayers are with you, elated. I'm so sorry all of this came down on you at once. Sounds to me that you are making good progress, though I wish you had someone to help you with all the packing and stair climbing. You are looking ahead to brighter days, though I know you'll carry the memories of your sweet dog with you. I hope those will, in time, bring you some comfort. Blessings to you in your new home.