Honored Contributor

2020 was supposed to be a great year, we are both turning 65 and my DH is reitiring.

Monday will start the 6th week that my husband will be working at home, he has 9 more days until he retires from a job that he spent 29/12 years at, when we met he had only been at his job for 8 weeks. We are hoping to get back to his office sometime this Summer to say good bye to so many people he has worked with for so long.

2020 has been a horrible year I started out with double pneumonia and flu B, I spent 8 days in isolation, it took me 8 weeks to get back to my self.

In mid Feb my brother lost one of his best friends, they had been friends since they were 13 and my bother is now 62.

Now we are facing a world a situation like never before, people are sick and dying around us.

How can life ever return to what is was, will we ever be able to sit across the table from some one, get a hair cut, get a manicure, how different will life be and how long will it before we have any normalcy in our lives. I am just so sad tonight, I do not think my mind comprehends what is going on, I live from day to day, not knowing what tomorrow will be.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

Re: Will Life Ever Be the Same

It may not be the same, but it has the capacity to be good. Very, very good. Maybe not today, but we can get there. A lot depends on how YOU decide it's going to be. In that light, I'm going to make a suggestion. Please know that it's made with care and concern. You need a break from this place. It's not healthy for you (and many others) right now. The vast majority of the discussion is of gloom and doom. That's not what's happening in the real life that I know. People are concerned, they know it's serious, but they're not dwelling on it. Please, just hit the "sign out" button and walk away for awhile. It's the healthy thing to do. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Super Contributor

Please take care of yourself.  I am sorry that you are sad.   You will be in my thoughts and prayers.   Peace to You.  Tallgal

Honored Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 

Thank you but I pass by most of the doom and gloom posta

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

It may not be the same, but it has the capacity to be good. Very, very good. Maybe not today, but we can get there. A lot depends on how YOU decide it's going to be. In that light, I'm going to make a suggestion. Please know that it's made with care and concern. You need a break from this place. It's not healthy for you (and many others) right now. The vast majority of the discussion is of gloom and doom. That's not what's happening in the real life that I know. People are concerned, they know it's serious, but they're not dwelling on it. Please, just hit the "sign out" button and walk away for awhile. It's the healthy thing to do. 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox 

I’m pretty sure my life will never be the same. There is a long list of things I’m unlikely ever to do again.

Even the experts say it will be a new normal, not the one we remember. 

Esteemed Contributor

I feel your pain.  We are both in our early 70's with chronic conditions and I have an AI disorder to top things off.  I left work almost 19 years because of my diagnosis and my DH has been retired almost 19 years.  We are used to being home, so that's a big plus for us.  We try to do as many things that we did before this virus.  We hot tub every day, ride our mopeds just to get out of the house.  My DH walks 5 days a week since our gym is closed.  I am going to start walking probably tomorrow, as it's warming up a bit.  We have been doing a lot of spring cleaning.  It's much easier with both of us helping each other out.  I only have so much energy each day, so I have to be smart about it.  My DH is still recovering from Legionaire's Disease which he contracted in September of 2018.  It's one day at a time & that seems to be our new normal.  Good luck to you and your DH on his upcoming retirement.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes it will be the same. People have gone through far worse than this ,and went on to make a wonderful life for themselves

WE all have to find the courage in ourselves to move past this..One thing we can do is to count our blessings, and look at those in far ,far ,worse shape than we are

I think of people who were slaves, and in concentration camps, and tortured, live through plagues and pandemics...When you look at how many in this world are forced to live, we are very lucky

Some poor people have no money, no food ,no place to live. The best place to start from is a thankful heart for all of the wonderful things we have...Many have nothing at all through no fault of their own

I admire my parents and grandparents because they never gave in to despair or felt sorry for themselves..My grandparents lost all they owned in the depression and rebuilt a wonderful life for themselves

I think of people right on this board who are faced with adversity like @lulu1 and still has enough charity to think of those in worse  places than she is in, and she is going through a lot..

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox, while some things may change forever, I do think that if we're all smart, we will return to mostly normal and comfortable routine. Please try not to be overwhelmed. Deep breaths.

I personally am trying not to go ballistics over what I'm seeing in the news yesterday and today that I can't post here

So I will reiterate that if the majority of us remain smart and responsible for ourselves and others, we will be okay.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@I am still oxox wrote:

2020 was supposed to be a great year, we are both turning 65 and my DH is reitiring.

Monday will start the 6th week that my husband will be working at home, he has 9 more days until he retires from a job that he spent 29/12 years at, when we met he had only been at his job for 8 weeks. We are hoping to get back to his office sometime this Summer to say good bye to so many people he has worked with for so long.

2020 has been a horrible year I started out with double pneumonia and flu B, I spent 8 days in isolation, it took me 8 weeks to get back to my self.

In mid Feb my brother lost one of his best friends, they had been friends since they were 13 and my bother is now 62.

Now we are facing a world a situation like never before, people are sick and dying around us.

How can life ever return to what is was, will we ever be able to sit across the table from some one, get a hair cut, get a manicure, how different will life be and how long will it before we have any normalcy in our lives. I am just so sad tonight, I do not think my mind comprehends what is going on, I live from day to day, not knowing what tomorrow will be.

You are worrying about something that you have no control over.  I go about my business just like I always have except for wearing a mask when I go out of the house and making sure I thoroughly wash may hand when I return home.  I take sanitizing wipes with me too when I go out.  Other than that, it's as usual. 

I know it's scary but I can't control those types of things.  I have MS and I could lose my vision at any time or I could become unable to walk at any time but I can't worry about that and function like a normal adult human being.  I stopped all of my worrying when I found out I had MS in 1999.  

I can not control that disease and I can not control this virus.  I can try to protect myself but other than that I don't know of anything I can do.    I'm going to do my best to protect myself but I'm not going to worry about it..

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@I am still oxox  

We People like to believe that we "know" what tomorrow will bring, thinking that gives a sense of security, but in reality we do not know.   We make plans, have expectations, and dreams because we are humans who have hope, that's what we do, how we live, progress, and move forward.  But, we are not given a certain number of days, nor is what will happen tomorrow ever a sure thing.  Changes do come.

I think "normal" will not be the same, but I have great hope that most will be fine, we will grieve, rest up, the sun will shine, we will eat together, we will go out, we will laugh, and travel, and visit again.

But, it will be different.

My life has changed drastically several times.  By focusing on what is, not dwelling on what I wanted, or expected, or planned, I've been able to make it happy and good.  I know it is possible to adjust and move on if you keep Hope, and Focus on the Good Things. 

Good Wishes

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras