Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

They never nominate sci/fi fantasy films for anything other than technical awards.  It makes me nuts.  You can still have a great story in an alternate reality or universe, Oscar people!  

I personally don't believe Star Wars should have been nominated since it's the same exact movie as Return of the Jedi with a few twists but I would like sci fi/fantasy and comedies to have a lot more respect in the future.     

I don't, either .....  the movies that are primarily about the special effects aren't what they should be giving awards to.

Esteemed Contributor

Why? Because its one big click in Hollywood. IMO it should be nominated. It was great! But they do this all the time and omit top movies.

Joy isnt up either, but Jennifer is. I thought Joy was great. Joy, Star Wars. Jurassic World and Martian were my favorites this year. (However I have yet to see Brooklyn and the Danish Girl because they didnt show here)

(And PS that Mad Max movie was dumb IMO!)

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Respected Contributor

If a si fi movie had some definate acting chops to it then it should be considered.  Star Wars is entertaining but I agree it's a re-hash of previous films.  This movie was to introduce the players.  Hopefully, I'm expecting the next two to develop into their own story.  

Many si fi movies deservidly garner the technical awards as it is in these types of films the cinimatic advances are being made and the sound and music are filling the role of emotional human acting. 

Remember Gravity?  Good acting there but still, it was all about the Cinimatography. 

Trusted Contributor
Science fiction movies do get nominated. Avatar, for instance, had close to ten nominations.
Honored Contributor

Re: Why no Star Wars

[ Edited ]

Maybe because the whole concept has been done, done again and again and again, and then done one more time...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...