Esteemed Contributor

To see or not to see...that is the question....

We are looking into adding a few of those small security cameras outside around our house. We never had issues in our neighborhood before but lately Police have caught drug addicts combing neighborhoods looking for things they can steal and sell for their next fix. We have a security system...but no cameras.

Hubby wants to put them where they will be visible...thinking it will be a deterrant.... I think we should put them where they aren't visible so we would get a picture of them by catching them off guard. 

Any thoughts?

Respected Contributor

Re: To see or not to see...that is the question....

My husband's friend installed cameras around his house after a rash of robberies on his street.  The robbers still robbed his house and the cops never caught him.  I would think they would be a deterrent to some criminals.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Nataliesgramma, cute play on words in your title! I haven't a clue how to answer your question other than to recommend you call your local police and security companies and ask their opinions. From my pov, I would think that the visibility might provide some deterrence.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Respected Contributor

I'd like one at my front door so I could see more clearly who was there when the door bell rings. It has one of those peep hole things, but I would feel safer with a larger look at ho is there. 

Respected Contributor

I would go with wanting to see the criminals.  There's a better chance of catching someone if you have a picture/video of the criminal.  

It happens all the time at banks that are robbed and there are photos.  Let's face it, the criminals are not "playing with a full deck".  They're just dumb.

There will be a better chance of catching the robber with a photo than without.

Respected Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

We are looking into adding a few of those small security cameras outside around our house. We never had issues in our neighborhood before but lately Police have caught drug addicts combing neighborhoods looking for things they can steal and sell for their next fix. We have a security system...but no cameras.

Hubby wants to put them where they will be visible...thinking it will be a deterrant.... I think we should put them where they aren't visible so we would get a picture of them by catching them off guard. 

Any thoughts?

Or they may steal the camera first.   We have motion detector lights, but are in the middle of a 2 acre lot, someone will have to really want something.  And then there's 2 dogs.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Esteemed Contributor

@debic wrote:

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

Any thoughts?

Or they may steal the camera first.   We have motion detector lights, but are in the middle of a 2 acre lot, someone will have to really want something.  And then there's 2 dogs.

That what I am afraid of....stealing the cameras.....

Esteemed Contributor

I think it would be better to have visible security cameras on the exterior of a home.

It would be better to have them  Known  and  Prevalent.

If a criminal sees that there's a chance that they are going to leave some sort of evidence at the scene , they more than likely will choose another target.

A well placed visible camera will get better angles and coverage area for your views.

Inside your home is where hidden cameras can be useful .

Respected Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

@debic wrote:

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

Any thoughts?

That what I am afraid of....stealing the cameras.....

I guess it would depend on the criminal.  I doubt it would deter a professional.   Hidden cameras inside would be my first choice.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

the best deterrent is a big barking dog... or the recording of a big dog barking. They sell those tapes.  I would go to the pound, save a dogs life and get a german shepard or some dog like that that would scare anyone away.