Honored Contributor

Re: Why must we always be “brave?”

Everyone has the right to decide how to live their last days.

I don't think it means anything that some reporter says that he's being "brave".  

Some people talk about sickness and death, some don't.  Some want to keep working as long as they are able, some don't.  Some will be called brave and some won't. 

And no one will know exactly what it is that is going on inside of that person, no matter what someone else sees or says about them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LilacTree

I am a cancer survivor and it's not for anyone else to tell anyone with cancer how to deal with it.  I handled it just fine, thank you very much. I had and still have world class medical care with the kindest, most caring medical teams i could ever hope for.

I have supportive family and friends, as I am sure Mr. Trebek does.

YOU have no idea how much time he spends with his family. You presume a heck of a lot! 

Esteemed Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

Alex Trebek just announced he has stage 4 pancreatic cancer.  He intends to keep on working and vows to “beat this thing.”  He is being lauded for being “brave.”

In my opinion he should, instead, spend these precious days with his family, who probably haven’t seen much of him in the last 40 years.  Be brave for them, not his TV audience.

Or, maybe he wants to fight and not lie down and give up. I'm sure his family wouldn't want that.

Honored Contributor

It's an extremely sad and difficult subject for me, because my Mom had cancer and I was with her every day and night. She was the definition of brave, I was in awe of it then and I always will be. She faced it on her own terms with courage and humor. She didn't complain.

She also loved Jeopardy so much and watched it every night. So this news last night just hit me so hard.

As for Alex I've read that he tapes the show in very condensed periods of time. So he probably has lots of time with family. He will do it on his own terms too, just like my beautiful Mom did.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

I took his statement simply that he’s going to face this usually terminal cancer head on and beat it.   As a public figure, I think his forward approach will hopefully give encouragement to anyone else with this devastating diagnosis.    

Everyone I know who was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, were longtime diabetics, suffered horribly, and lost their battle within 3-4 months.    

I sincerely wish him the very best outcome possible.

Trusted Contributor

@LilacTree I think brave isn't really the right word but I'm not sure what would be right so likely others don't either. Maybe strong is a better word? And it's hard when you're in the public eye and dealing with this stuff. So I'd say strong is a good choice in which case it's obvious you've been strong through all of your stuff. You can be strong and still have bad awful days.

And dont' worry about him spending time with his family. I think he works under 90 days a year! Only guy with a better life is Pat Sajak who I think works 35! Good on them. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

Alex Trebek just announced he has stage 4 pancreatic cancer.  He intends to keep on working and vows to “beat this thing.”  He is being lauded for being “brave.”

In my opinion he should, instead, spend these precious days with his family, who probably haven’t seen much of him in the last 40 years.  Be brave for them, not his TV audience.

When a person gets a diagnosis of cancer everything changes. Maybe "normal" for Mr. Trebek is the one thing that can stay the same....working. He isn't preparing to die anyway. He will fight this disease like a warrior and won't stop fighting. Giving up something he loves, would probably make him feel like he was preparing to die. 

And yes he is brave, in every sense of the word...

Esteemed Contributor

I have had two different cancers and was fortunate to survive them both. I have to say that I never thought of myself as brave. That idea might have been in others’ heads but not in mine. To me, following doctors’ orders to the letter was my goal...in other words, not brave but rather compliant. I think that many would like to think that cancer recovery depends on attitude. If only. 

Respected Contributor

It is presumptuous to make a such a pronouncement to anyone in a life-or-death situation re what he or she should do. 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LilacTree wrote:

Correct, that is your opinion. However, you come across as “opinionated “. You know nothing of his personal life and I presume, you no nothing about personally having stage 4 pancreatic cancer. 

Why wouldn’t you support Alex Trebek and the way he chooses to deal with his personal situation? 

That’s my opinion.