Honored Contributor

Why must we always be “brave?”

Alex Trebek just announced he has stage 4 pancreatic cancer.  He intends to keep on working and vows to “beat this thing.”  He is being lauded for being “brave.”

In my opinion he should, instead, spend these precious days with his family, who probably haven’t seen much of him in the last 40 years.  Be brave for them, not his TV audience.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

Re: Why must we always be “brave?”

@LilacTree wrote:

Alex Trebek just announced he has stage 4 pancreatic cancer.  He intends to keep on working and vows to “beat this thing.”  He is being lauded for being “brave.”

In my opinion he should, instead, spend these precious days with his family, who probably haven’t seen much of him in the last 40 years.  Be brave for them, not his TV audience.

I am a breast cancer survivor and unless you are facing cancer I don't think anyone can question how Brave you are when you are fighting it.  And everyone lives their own life how they want to.  Its called Freedom.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LilacTree wrote:

He should spend every single remaining moment doing exactly what HE wants to do - be it work a few hours a day, etc.  I cannot judge anyone with such a diagnosis.

Honored Contributor

He is brave. 

Standing there asking for prayers and support and having the stamina to fight for his life - immeasurable.

He has every right to do as he wishes and shouldn't be judged.  If he wants to work and be surrounded by positive people, good for him.  He doesn't need to sit home feeling sorry for himself for however long he has left.

Esteemed Contributor

If I could save time in a bottle ~

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

Anyone who fights a life threatening condition rather than just give up is brave.    How a person chooses to live their life is their choice. For some people continuing to work is an important part of the process.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

Did the person lauding Mr. Trebek for "being brave" specifically state that the bravery was not for his family?

Honored Contributor

@LilacTree - lots of presumptions there on your part.

How do we have any idea how much time he does or doesn’t spend with his family?  I don’t know him so I wouldn’t have a clue.  And...it’s none of my business. 

And, I think anyone facing a life changing health situation has to be brave to face whatever is ahead for them treatment wise. It’s not for his tv audience. I haven’t had cancer so I don’t presume to speak for anyone, but I would think you’d need to dig deep and be brave to face the illness. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

My father died of pancreatic cancer. He chose not to "fight" if you will via the drugs, the radiation, etc. He lived his life as he chose to until one day, he felt so bad that he asked to be taken to the hospital. 5 days later, I took him off life support. He was surrounded by those he loved. That's how he wanted it . Was he brave? I think so. I think anyone who knows they are going to die but not exactly when and continues living life as they choose is brave. 

Valued Contributor

We are all different.  Every cancer journey is different.  

My cancer diagnosis came when I was 29.  I didn't want to be treated differently because of the diagnosis.  But I was.  I found out who truly cared for me and who didn't.  The people I thought were closest to me turned out to be the ones furthest away.