Valued Contributor

Re: Why don't the debates show the name of each person that is speaking?

@KYToby wrote:

This is a live debate with cameras cutting back and forth between the modeators and the candidates -- especiallly as other candidates attempt to jump in.

This is not something that was done earlier in the day where the names can be added in post-production.

And seriously, at this point, interested parties should already know who the candidates are.  One can spend a bit of time looking up this information on one's own rather than being spoon-fed the names from producers.

It's not a matter of "being spoon fed"; truly that's insulting to many different groups of our population. Also, people from all over the world are watching to see what may loom in the future.  Think a bit beyond your opinion. There are students and other young people watching for the first time and, there are senior citizens that don't have the knowledge or ability to use computers, and there are new citizens who take this very seriously but, need a bit of help. (I'm sure there are many other groups I'm forgetting at the moment and if I left anyone out, I apologise). They may know Bush, Christie, Trump, Paul...but the others may be new faces to them. They are watching to learn and there's nothing wrong with not knowing a few out of 8, or 9 candidates at this time. No question or reaching out for help is wrong! What IS wrong is making people feel l"ess than" because they reach out for answers. Some of those candidates rattle me with their utilitarian and senseless answers, but that's my opinion....which everyone is entitled to.

It would've taken nothing more than a computer and printer to make banners to put on each podium in a simple readable font.  

One can be compassionate and understanding of people~fellow Americans and human beings. And one may realise that we are all the same at the end of the day and asking for knowledge is the most natural of things to do, asking for knowledge is asking for power.

Honored Contributor

Or... They could use icons:

image.jpgimage.jpg

This is all I got, so far, the rest are pretty much up for grabs... Hopefully this won't get poofed 

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think it is crazy that people are trying to shame people for not being 100% familar with ALL candidates and then make assumptions about them and their voting habits. Especially when they are asking for the names so they CAN become more familar with the lesser known candidates. Unbelievable.

I am a person who is not officially affiliated with one party or another.I try to listen to and learn about all candidates on both sides.

Respected Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

For the same reason there are no pictures on the ballot

ROTFLMAO

Respected Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

I think it is crazy that people are trying to shame people for not being 100% familar with ALL candidates and then make assumptions about them and their voting habits. Especially when they are asking for the names so they CAN become more familar with the lesser known candidates. Unbelievable.

I am a person who is not officially affiliated with one party or another.I try to listen to and learn about all candidates on both sides.

I agree. That's why I never ask questions here. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ok: here is who I know:

1) the guy with the toupee

2) the money lady with the short brown hair

3) the guy with movie star good looks, a young family and his parents were immigrants and LOOK! he is successful

4) the guy from NJ who looks like a mobster but isn't and seems like a very nice guy--also on Rachel Maddow... something about a bridge--lots of traffic backed up and everybody is mad

5) "I like Mike"

6) some guy who makes a lot of sense so says my husband

7) the doctor who says it worked in Yuma lets do that

8) the other guy with dark hair

9) bush

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Frequent Contributor

It really did seem that the point of this debate was to create some great drama and good t.v.  I wish there could have been a true debate regarding the real issues at hand and how each candidate planned to address the needs of the country. 

I don't need more reality t.v.  I need some real people to help get this country turned around so my grandchildren will have a better life than I've had.

Trusted Contributor

@fancy pantsy wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

For the same reason there are no pictures on the ballot

ROTFLMAO

Actually not not a bad idea. Many people are new to voting, it does not hurt to make the ballot/ voting process consumer friendly....

I personally did not know all 11 candidates up there last night....and when one of them said something I liked....I did not know their name.  To assume everyone should know all the candidates is laughable....no wonder people do not bother registering  to vote with that kind of mentality.

Honored Contributor

@Lila Belle wrote:
Actually rather than putting their names on the screen I'd like to see each candidate FACT CHECKED on screen in real time.

Hi Lila Belle, Smiley Happy

Were you listening to me last night? lol  I said the exact same thing.  Fact check them in REAL TIME!   GMTA! 

I think ALL THE DEBATES, regardless of sponsor and party, should have this done.

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@Greenhouse wrote:

Their questions were meant to provoke candidates into sparring with each other.

Yes of course, because it's all about RATINGS for CNN.  

Also, did you know that the debate was supposed to be 2 hrs. long but CNN realized they could get advertising money for more time so two days before the show it was made into a three-hour  debate? (This according to Donald Trump).  It's all about ratings and dollars.  So of course CNN was interested in instigating fights which would make for more viewer interest (to watch the entire show), good ratings, and more advertising dollars.  Most of the questions posed were to Trump and Bush with Fiorina just butting in all the time interrupting to get air time; hardly any questions were asked of Huckabee, Walker (who is really boring), Cruz, or Kasich.  Rand Paul a few more but not many.  It's as if CNN didn't take the other candidates seriously.  CNN knew what it was doing - exactly - and it worked. 

Are all you people serious? Have you never watched political debates before? None of this is new or specific to CNN. It's SOP to put candidates in the hot seat and it happens to both parties during debates. It's also SOP to give the candidates highest in the polls more air time, a lot more air time. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval