Esteemed Contributor

Re: Why don't the debates show the name of each person that is speaking?

@JAXS Mom wrote:

@foundinlv wrote:

In the first debate, I think it was Lindsay Graham who stated that Hispanics were already Americans.  Is he saying that those who live in North America, Latin America and South America routinely call themselves Americans?  When someone asks a tourist in Europe if they are American I always thought they were referring to a U.S. citizen.  Anyone know?  

Lindsey Graham wasn't in the first debate. I don't remember that statement being made in the first debate, so I don't know who may have said it. 

I believe he was, the earlier hour and the second tier candidates

Honored Contributor

@Greenhouse wrote:

@JAXS Mom wrote:

@foundinlv wrote:

In the first debate, I think it was Lindsay Graham who stated that Hispanics were already Americans.  Is he saying that those who live in North America, Latin America and South America routinely call themselves Americans?  When someone asks a tourist in Europe if they are American I always thought they were referring to a U.S. citizen.  Anyone know?  

Lindsey Graham wasn't in the first debate. I don't remember that statement being made in the first debate, so I don't know who may have said it. 

Perhaps he meant they were here first.  They were... much of California includes land grants, rancheros, etc. that belonged to Mexican people.

I assume that must also be true of numerous other states.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Esteemed Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Greenhouse wrote:

@JAXS Mom wrote:

@foundinlv wrote:

Perhaps he meant they were here first.  They were... much of California includes land grants, rancheros, etc. that belonged to Mexican people.

I assume that must also be true of numerous other states.

I guess but I don't think Europeans would think that way nor do I.  I mean there are many people who become citizens here from many countries and they are Americans.  Depends on context? 

Esteemed Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Greenhouse wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

Yesterday on some news type program I was watching, there was an American reporter somewhere in the Mid East, possibly Iran. Anyway, he held up pictures of some of the debate participants, and I was surprised that many of the people on the street knew who Trump and Bush were, and they actually guessed Nancy Pelosi with Carly's picture. They must watch American television on the internet or something, but they are actually more informed than some of our citizens. AND I do not mean anyone here on this chat board, so don't get your knickers in a bunch.

I think it is so pathetic when news people go to places like Harvard and Yale or stop young people on the street and show them politicians....one picture they used was Joe Biden....one young woman said he was VP.....uh but said Al Gore!! Very sad and scary! 

I agree with you but I think most young people don't get into politics until they are more mature, so that doesn't surprise me. 

True, but I do think at the least they should recognize our current VP....I think I did and back in the day, we had current events in school...so I am sure we learned younger than college age? 

Esteemed Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@NoelSeven

I have to disagree with that statement about young people not being interested in politics. My 3 boys are very interested and read several papers daily for the info and the op ed pieces. They always have been interested in current events.

Anyone remember on The Tonight Show w Jay Leno when he used to do a bit called 'Jay Walking'? How many times we laughed at some of the responses he got while walking around some large place near the studio in Burbank. It was sort of scary about how ignorant some people were of basic general facts that we all should know-- example: what are the 3 branches of government and how many senators does each state get-- a typical question. Or who is this person-- Biden's picture shown and someone thinking he's someone on a commercial!

Not all, of course, mine was interested in high school, but I do think the interest grows as people mature.

BTW, Jimmy Kimmel does the man on the street questions.  It's amazing how many are clueless.

I think one of the funniest was when people on the street were asked about the "fiscal cliff". Some said it was in upstate NY, California, Russia.....yikes!