Respected Contributor

Re: Why don't the debates show the name of each person that is speaking?

@NoelSeven wrote:

I'm surprised people don't know them by sight, they're all in the news frequently.  It's important to know who is who.

How can a person not know them?  They are all prominent people, mentioned in the news quite frequently.   One may not be totally familiar with their records or positions,  but I can't imagine not knowing who they are.   People seem to be more knowledgeable about the intricate details of the Kardashians' lives than  who the candidates are for president. 

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

Facts and truth don't come from a debate.  We may see their personalities, but we're not seeing who they really are.

It takes reading about them over time, and there is a lot of information online from MANY sources.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Respected Contributor

@sandy53 wrote:

I agree that it is a trainwreck.  The moderator is very poor.  He allows the candidates to interupt each other and the questions are terrible.  Many of the questions are simply asking the candidates to respond to something that has been said (in the past) about him/her by another candidate on the stage.  He seems to just want them to bicker with each other.  Finally now near the end it seem to be getting at some substance. 

I read that the format was designed to allow for more interaction with each other.  I thought it was good.  I liked seeing Carly give it back to DT.  I thought she had the best performance.  I don't agree with most of her positions,  but she'definitely a contender for the nomination,  imo.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

@foundinlv wrote:

In the first debate, I think it was Lindsay Graham who stated that Hispanics were already Americans.  Is he saying that those who live in North America, Latin America and South America routinely call themselves Americans?  When someone asks a tourist in Europe if they are American I always thought they were referring to a U.S. citizen.  Anyone know?  

Speaking from my own experience,  people sometimes have asked me "North orSouth America?"  Usually I would say I'm from the U.S. to be clear.  But it depends.  In German, if I said "Ich bin Amerikanerin," people knew.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JAXS Mom wrote:

@foundinlv wrote:

In the first debate, I think it was Lindsay Graham who stated that Hispanics were already Americans.  Is he saying that those who live in North America, Latin America and South America routinely call themselves Americans?  When someone asks a tourist in Europe if they are American I always thought they were referring to a U.S. citizen.  Anyone know?  

Lindsey Graham wasn't in the first debate. I don't remember that statement being made in the first debate, so I don't know who may have said it. 

Just like last night the R candidates were divided into two groups for the first debate.  Graham was there but I don't remember anything he said at this point.

Honored Contributor

@PamfromCT wrote:

@JAXS Mom wrote:

@foundinlv wrote:

Lindsey Graham wasn't in the first debate. I don't remember that statement being made in the first debate, so I don't know who may have said it. 

Graham was in the first debate.  I'd have to check my recording to see who said that.

There are many Hispanics living here who are citizens.  They represent a voting bloc that is important,  As a matter of fact, MR is said to have lost the last election because of failure to get their votes.  The RNC chairman has acknowledged that.  Check it out.

You know, you're right. I totally forgot about him, he must not have made much an impression on me when I watched lol. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

Honestly, at this point I didn't even feel the debate was worth it. Any time Trump is on stage, the whole thing completely devolves and becomes a circus of disrespect and insults. There was no debate, just theatrics. 

Honored Contributor

They kept cutting off BC and some others at seemingly crucial points as if there were closely guarded secrets to be learned?

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Trusted Contributor

@Marienkaefer2 wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

I'm surprised people don't know them by sight, they're all in the news frequently.  It's important to know who is who.

How can a person not know them?  They are all prominent people, mentioned in the news quite frequently.   One may not be totally familiar with their records or positions,  but I can't imagine not knowing who they are.   People seem to be more knowledgeable about the intricate details of the Kardashians' lives than  who the candidates are for president. 

This is the kind of attitude that makes people just not vote or even try to understand and follow the political scene. YOU can not imagine not knowing who they are?  What a one sided statement to make.....shows your ignorance in people in general.

All of the 11 candidates are not all prominent people at all!  Several are new to me this go around.  I watch the news, read the paper and yes watch TV. I am just the average Joe trying to understand how it all works and try to listen to every candidate to see who is who and what is what. To say everyone should know who they are?.... That is just hogwash!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you don't get a majority of the Latino vote, you will not win the election. It's as simple as that.   I didn't see anyone there last night who made any progress in that direction. Just having a Latino last name is not goin  to be enough .