Honored Contributor

Re: Why So Many Masks On Sale?

@Lucylu12 wrote:

Do as you wish but after my second shot while giving it 2 weeks like suggested I will not be wearing a mask. 

Wow. Aren't you special? 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lucylu12 wrote:

Do as you wish but after my second shot while giving it 2 weeks like suggested I will not be wearing a mask. 

This is why we are going to be in trouble with this virus for a while ,people that refuse to do what experts say,you think you know best ,but do not.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

They will try to keep us all in masks and closed down as long as we allow it.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

They will try to keep us all in masks and closed down as long as we allow it.

And why is that your thought?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Regular Contributor

Because she watches the right news!

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@willdob3 wrote:

@santorini wrote:

People love to spread doom and gloom.  No way this will last 3 years. I'm optimistic for a return to the office before summer begins. 

@santorini wrote:

People love to spread doom and gloom.  No way this will last 3 years. I'm optimistic for a return to the office before summer begins. 

@santorini 

Really? Come to Florida. I’ve been back in the office since May. 

I've never not been in the office.

After the SB last night, I was watching a news program and there was an infectious disease doctor on.  He indicated that even if every single person in the US was vaccinated, it would not stop Covid due to people coming into the US from other countries, commerce between the US and other countries, etc. 

He said this is something we are going to have to live with but hopefully it can be managed because it's not going to be eliminated.

Dr. Fauci has said more than once one of the reasons the US needs to ramp up vaccinating people so quickly is to get people vaccinated before there are too many variants.  

And let's face it.  If this vaccine only lasts 5 months or so, how many people are going to get vaccinated every 5 months, 2 times?  It's not going to happen.  

@Lipstickdiva  Regarding your last paragraph, the vaccines will keep getting better and better. Johnson & Johnson already has a one-shot vax. The current vaccines are the initial rush jobs.  Therefore I disagree with your last paragraph.

Trusted Contributor

For those all disparaging and trying to put the fear into people with 2 ply masks please take a look at those disposable "hospital" blue masks that they give you in a doctor's office or hospital to wear.  Those are just a grade above a papter napkin with strings.  If you are at a lower risk 2 ply is fine.  This virus has been around for over a year now.  Assuming it's as contagious as they claim, a whole lot of the population got it with no symptoms or minor to survivable symptoms and did what most of the doctors are telling you, stay home and recuperate.  We will never know the true numer of these people.  The only numbers that matter are actual ICU cases and deaths.   Counting positives means nothing.  People have multiple tests either for their jobs, doctor visits, dentist visits etc.   There are plenty of false positives that ding up these numbers.     

As far as any new strains, it has been reported that although seemingly more easily spread, it is less deadly.  I would  think after over a year of this, if you are at a higher level of risk you would know the  precautions you need to take.  Those less at risk need to continue to wear a mask where required, wash their hands and distance where necessary.  There should be zero need for a mask in a car.  Especially if you are alone.  I have never worn my mask in my car and I don't intend to. It slides up it could potentially block your vision, and if you have the heat in your car on, could cause breathing issues.   

I'm sure there will be people who will always wear a mask period.  And that is fine.  Everyone has a mask that they feel comfortable in.  There is no one size/type that will work for everyone.  That is why there is no standard mask.  If your favorite type is on sale go for it. :-)  

Honored Contributor

@eadu4 wrote:

For those all disparaging and trying to put the fear into people with 2 ply masks please take a look at those disposable "hospital" blue masks that they give you in a doctor's office or hospital to wear.  Those are just a grade above a papter napkin with strings.  If you are at a lower risk 2 ply is fine.  This virus has been around for over a year now.  Assuming it's as contagious as they claim, a whole lot of the population got it with no symptoms or minor to survivable symptoms and did what most of the doctors are telling you, stay home and recuperate.  We will never know the true numer of these people.  The only numbers that matter are actual ICU cases and deaths.   Counting positives means nothing.  People have multiple tests either for their jobs, doctor visits, dentist visits etc.   There are plenty of false positives that ding up these numbers.     

As far as any new strains, it has been reported that although seemingly more easily spread, it is less deadly.  I would  think after over a year of this, if you are at a higher level of risk you would know the  precautions you need to take.  Those less at risk need to continue to wear a mask where required, wash their hands and distance where necessary.  There should be zero need for a mask in a car.  Especially if you are alone.  I have never worn my mask in my car and I don't intend to. It slides up it could potentially block your vision, and if you have the heat in your car on, could cause breathing issues.   

I'm sure there will be people who will always wear a mask period.  And that is fine.  Everyone has a mask that they feel comfortable in.  There is no one size/type that will work for everyone.  That is why there is no standard mask.  If your favorite type is on sale go for it. :-)  

@eadu4, I have never read that the variants may be less deadly. In fact, any variant that is so much more easily transmitted will by definition be more deadly.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Love to Run wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@happycat wrote:

The ones I saw on sale on QVC were two layer, tommie copper washable. Two layer is not what cdc has been recommending, and they didn't seem to be on that great of a sale anyway. 

I hope everyone who has ordered those realizes they may not be enough. 

Those Tommie Copper masks are made of stretchy material which is the worst part about them...comfortable yes but when they stretch the fibers spread apart making the masks less effective at preventing germs from going through the gaps. I would not recommend them to anyone.

@SilleeMee 

Not necesarily, it really depends on the material. Elastic, for example, is stretchy, yet particles cannot pass through it. 

@Love to Run 

I understand and it's good we have choices. I prefer something more protective for myself. I was not so lucky back in the beginning of this pandemic. I got covid and almost died from it. So now I will not take any chances and I want to wear the most protective mask I can find. Stretchy masks are not for me.

Trusted Contributor

@suzyQ3 Not true at all.  Something CAN be more easily transmitted and not as lethal.  I presume you are thinking if more people can get it easier it would be more deadly.  That is not true.  If the strain is in fact LESS lethal to begin with how could it be MORE lethal just because it spreads faster?  The one we have now is 99% survivable for a vast majority and is considered highly transmittable.   And survivable means you can get it and live.  The number of people who get it is irrelevent.  That's like the number of "positives".   The number doesn't count.  It seriously doesn't   You have multiple tests given every day,   False positives, people still positive trying to see if they can come off of quanantine.  You have people who are asymptomatic that just get tested because they were near someone who was 'positive".  100 people could get this new strain and if it is less lethal then less of those people will die.  Doesn't matter that they ALL got it.  If the strain is less deadly, it's less deadly.  How can it be more deadly if it wasn't to begin with?  That makes no sense.  Transmission only becomes a factor for those at high risk.  But if the strain is less potent  than the risk is lower for severe symptoms.  So even if it is more easily transmitted, you are less likely to suffer severe symptoms.