Trusted Contributor

Re: Why So Many Masks On Sale?

@Love to Run; Exactly!!! And that's why there are so many different choices.  Everyone has a risk saftely level.  And you should just do what feels the most comfortable for you.  What i like is not for everyone nor would i advocate it., but it has worked for me.  Do what you need to.  

Trusted Contributor

Supply and demand. Everyone and their mother is making masks now but they were not when this nightmare began. So, limited supply and the price-gouging galore. Now? You can find them everywhere from anyone. Stock up; we are. You never know.....

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

@eadu4 wrote:

@suzyQ3 Not true at all.  Something CAN be more easily transmitted and not as lethal.  I presume you are thinking if more people can get it easier it would be more deadly.  That is not true.  If the strain is in fact LESS lethal to begin with how could it be MORE lethal just because it spreads faster?  The one we have now is 99% survivable for a vast majority and is considered highly transmittable.   And survivable means you can get it and live.  The number of people who get it is irrelevent.  That's like the number of "positives".   The number doesn't count.  It seriously doesn't   You have multiple tests given every day,   False positives, people still positive trying to see if they can come off of quanantine.  You have people who are asymptomatic that just get tested because they were near someone who was 'positive".  100 people could get this new strain and if it is less lethal then less of those people will die.  Doesn't matter that they ALL got it.  If the strain is less deadly, it's less deadly.  How can it be more deadly if it wasn't to begin with?  That makes no sense.  Transmission only becomes a factor for those at high risk.  But if the strain is less potent  than the risk is lower for severe symptoms.  So even if it is more easily transmitted, you are less likely to suffer severe symptoms.  

@eadu4, this all based on your premise that as far as I know is not valid. I have not seen any mention at all of these strains being less lethal.

So I base my thoughts on the fact that none are less lethal. But if, just if, that were true, then yes fewer people would die from that strain. But people would still die, just in fewer numbers. And some people would get very sick. And some would have long-term medical problems.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Valued Contributor

@suzyQ3 - Agree.  And the new strains, acccording to British scientists are, in addition to being more transmissable, more lethal.  Dr. Fauci has said he agrees.  (Although I know many take what he says with a grain of salt).  Guess we'll find out.Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

@Tessa Mendoza wrote:

@suzyQ3- Agree.  And the new strains, acccording to British scientists are, in addition to being more transmissable, more lethal.  Dr. Fauci has said he agrees.  (Although I know many take what he says with a grain of salt).  Guess we'll find out.Smiley Sad

Yes, I'm pretty sure that I read thatone strain may be more lethal. I think it was the South African one, but don't quote me on that. But certainly, I have not heard anything about their being less so. @Tessa Mendoza 

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

...it's not my thought - we are told daily to now double mask - and once you are vaccinated, you must continue to mask up, distance, etc....  Some business owners still cannot open their stores....

I've yet to see anyone in power give a hint of hope....without hope you have nothing.

Esteemed Contributor

Here's my thoughts on the whole masks issues.

I think by summer of 2022, we will, for the most part, no longer be mandated to wear masks, it will be optional.

Will there be new strains of Covid?

Yes, there will be.

But we are learning more and more about it every day, and vaccines will also improve as science advances.

I think that in the near future, there will be the yearly flu/Covid shot, that you will be able to get at your local CVS/Walgreens/Rite-Aid, etc, and one shot, and you're good for the year.

Just my thoughts anyway.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

Probably just that masks are more readily available everywhere now.  At the beginning, it was difficult to find them, not now.

I can buy a box of 50 (good quality) disposable masks at Sam's Club for $8.98 now.  And just about every retailer has cloth masks.  Supply brings down the price.

@Venezia 

That's it ....  Paper masks need to be re-ordered regularly, but cloth masks are reusable, and kept much longer. 

If I buy 10 cloth masks today, I don't need any more for ....  the foreseeable future.   

I think manufacturers of cloth masks are hard pressed to convince us they are "fashion statements", and we should buy more, in all different colors.  Uh, no thanks.   I have enough laundry to do om any given day without adding cloth masks to the load.  Plus, the disposables are 3 layer, and touted as more effective in most cases.  I agree.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

...it's not my thought - we are told daily to now double mask - and once you are vaccinated, you must continue to mask up, distance, etc....  Some business owners still cannot open their stores....

I've yet to see anyone in power give a hint of hope....without hope you have nothing.

@Mom2Dogs, the news that I read and hear includes the information that cases, hospitalizations, and deaths are decidedly fewer.

But they have duty to tell us that they are still much higher than they should be. And they have a duty to warn us about the variants.

So what I hear seems to be the facts. And I appreciate that.

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 ...tell me the facts and let me make my own decision.

If the powers that be can let people  into the country with out being tested - I can live my life with out someone telling me to wear a #&@* mask.