Esteemed Contributor

Re: Who is still working during this?

My husband at the power plant non stop. My DIL at an assisted living home and also my son's girlfriend who also works at an assisted living home. My son is working online as a Navy recruiter can work from home and watches the kids. My sister still drives Uber. This is an interesting thread.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

My husband is still working, a mechanic at UPS. 

Their business right now is up and down, varying by the day. I'm guessing the delivery services will be some of the last taken down, most likely not at all. 

I'm grateful he is still working, and at the same time, kind of not opposed to him being laid off, just to no have to be out and exposed to the chances. 

Even at this early stage in things, it feels like life will never be 'normal' again. Things are just so surreal. 

Respected Contributor

My husband, daughter, daughter-in-law, and older son are all working from home.  However, except for our d-i-l,  everyone else always works from home, 

Valued Contributor

I've been working full time from home. We were informed a week ago we should plan to work from home for about three weeks. I'm fortunate that my job offers me this flexibility as many others do not. 

Esteemed Contributor

We are in Northern Arizona and thankfully DH and I are retired (Federal Govt; great pension) and our younger son lives with us.  He is still employed, 30 hrs a week, at Subway, but we all know that could end any day now.  Fortunately, he lives with us so his expenses are in check.  If/when he loses his job he can probably get a job stocking at a big box store.  As most of you know, we "rescued" our Grands from CA this week (they are having a great time with us).

Super Contributor

My daughter is an RT so still working of course as I am because I am a nurse. My son manages a grocery store so he is also going to work. 

Honored Contributor

I am, round the clock truth be told..........

Esteemed Contributor

My husband, son and daughter are all working. Husband working long hours at nuclear plant, son works at Wal Mart d.c., he won't lose his job, and daughter is doing counseling over the phone, not seeing patients but still has to go to the office, which she is not happy about. She lives out of state, I told her to quit and come home, but she won't do it. I'm just praying they don't get this.

DH called me earlier, and said he was nausious, and I fell apart.

I think its just all this fear of the unknown that is really getting me.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shorty2U   First, I don't think the company can legally not pay out vacation time at time of separation.  They don't have to pay sick time, but from what I understand, vacation time must be paid out when an employee leaves the company.

I'm working full time, but honestly, it's really strange to be at work when most of the town is staying at home.  We are all trying to keep our distance from each other, and wear gloves, but the stress of what is happening is difficult to manage.  I pretty much go to work, go home for lunch, back to work, and then back home. 

It will be a challenge to stay home all weekend.  My plans are to work in the yard if the weather cooperates, and clean my house.   

......You look like I need a drink.....
Esteemed Contributor

@Shorty2U, I know nothing about labor laws, but that doesn't seem right that they aren't paying your husband for his vacations. Its sorry alright, but it doesn't seem legal to me. Could you call the attorney general, or labor board and check and see if this is legal or not?

I'm very sorry, there are so many in this situation, and honestly, it could be any of us.

Who would have thought anything like all this would have happened to begin with? I didn't have a clue what we were gonna be dealing with. I still can't believe it.