Honored Contributor

Re: Who is still working during this?

The Moderators are!

By the way, grocery stores are desperate to hire people where I live, some even giving hiring bonuses. I just saw it on the news.
Honored Contributor

We both work from home and our kids don't have school for the time being so they are home as well. 

QVC Customer Care
Valued Contributor

Both my sons are still working.  They are considered essential.  One works in the grocery business and the other heating/cooling repair/installation.  

DIL is a speech therapist and has been off since Tuesday. My Ex-DIL is an instructor at a college and is also off.  Both the moms are with the grands and being moms and teachers. 

Helen852
Respected Contributor

Thank all of you that are out working with all of this to help us. We are retired, DD & fiance work in insurance so now working at home. week 1 but think they may work at home for several weeks. At least they have a job. Everyday a new story and soon everything will shut down, now it's kohl's, tjmax, home goods even said on line shopping is closed. some nice restaurants had pick up delivery but that is gone I think soon (not sure) the fast foods may do the same to protect employees. I will do most take out so I don't use up my food til that shuts down. Grocery stores saying they are restocking been twice this week and yesterday was worse than Monday. I don't see any improvement at all, no chicken hardly any meat. They did have produce. Italy got hit hard no one out and think we are close to it. Some schools not going back til May 1st as of now. I do think we are trying hard to keep this under control in America. I pray we try and hope we don't see violence as things get harder. When this is over think all of us will have a different outlook of things we have taken for granted. We still have a ride ahead of us. 

Esteemed Contributor

@happycat wrote:

@Shorty2U, I know nothing about labor laws, but that doesn't seem right that they aren't paying your husband for his vacations. Its sorry alright, but it doesn't seem legal to me. Could you call the attorney general, or labor board and check and see if this is legal or not?

I'm very sorry, there are so many in this situation, and honestly, it could be any of us.

Who would have thought anything like all this would have happened to begin with? I didn't have a clue what we were gonna be dealing with. I still can't believe it.

Thank you for the info. His employers excuse was they had 1 night to shut down the plant of over 8,000 employees by order of the Governor. Maybe? They will change their mind. I agree he should get his vacation (which he was going to start in May! until this happened) I also agree, never thought in a million years something like this virus would happen!

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Respected Contributor

@Shorty2U wrote:

Is anyone on here stll working during this virus situation? And if so I THANK YOU for your work whatever it may be! . 

Today, my husbands plant of over 8, 000 people closed during this virus by governor order!. He had over 30 days vacation they are not giving him. He works there for 30 years I cant believe they didn't give him his days.. Our health insurance runs out April 30th (as of now could change they said). And I'm praying they rethink this, because I have health issues numerous medications, and he has asthma. My husband will be signing up for unemployment.

My daughter, and 1 granddaughter are out of jobs for now. Signed up for unemployment.

My son in law- his job was saved (working from home) and one other person, and then the boss FIRED PERMANENTLY the 17 other office people! They were crying, all have families, 2 guys have pregnant wives! How could they be so cruel? This is a big sub company of a huge company so not that they are hurting for money. My son in law is still upset for his friends at work. They were crying as they left their offices.

Lastly- my son is still working as of now and scared hes risking his life to get packages out to people, and his wife has her job. She is a licensed funeral person, which is so ironic during these sad times!

This whole thing has sent me into panic disorder which I hadn't had for approx 10 yrs till now. Worrying about everyone in the world, and praying for everyone and praying this ends! And worrying how we are going to pay our bills if this goes on for months.

I was wondering what happened with your jobs if you still have jobs? And how are you coping? I know there are many in this situation.

Are they closing the company and going out of business?  Or just closing temporarily? If that's the case, he should still be able to use his days in the future.  Thoughts and prayers are with all who are being affected. 

Respected Contributor

The Covid-19 virus can be very deadly for many people so the governors of states are making fast, hard decisions to SAVE LIVES. The full effect of this disease is unknown.

Yes, many folks will lose work--hopefully just a few weeks or months of a temporary situation. Companies are not being cruel--they are struggling to stay afloat.

People around the world are missing vacations, special events, family visits and so forth, BUT the sacrifice is minor as compared to one's health and life.

Governments are responding to needs by providing extensions, cancellations and monetary stipends.

Just be patient and calm, trust in the medical expertise, and take all precautions.

If you or someone you know is considering suicide, please refer them to a suicide prevention hotline. 

Respected Contributor

This is something and in a few more weeks get ready. Hope you know how to cook & figure it out. /we are told to decorate our Christmas lights & some shopping centers are doing it also to bring some fun into the neighborhoods. I have some Easter decorations out. Have a site called nextdoorneighbors.com enter your zipcode & find out what is going on full of info about your shopping & what is going on. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sissel wrote:

This is something and in a few more weeks get ready. Hope you know how to cook & figure it out. /we are told to decorate our Christmas lights & some shopping centers are doing it also to bring some fun into the neighborhoods. I have some Easter decorations out. Have a site called nextdoorneighbors.com enter your zipcode & find out what is going on full of info about your shopping & what is going on. 

I'm not a fan of fear mongering. I prefer to be optimistic.  We are a strong country and we will get through this.