Super Contributor

Who here has NOT “stocked up”

but has continued shopping as they ordinarily do?

I have not bought one extra item....not sanitizer, TP, etc.

I have 1 tiny travel size of hand sanitizer,  1bleach, 1 cleaning vinegar, 

microfiber cloths, 1  Dawn and 2 containers hand soap.

I happen to have some of those thin blue disposable hospital gloves,

which were left over from a prior caretaking issue.

But I have not stocked up on anything.

Is it denial?

Or my lack of space and avoidance of collecting any more STUFF!? lol

There has to be others out there, perhaps living alone, who haven’t 

bothered “prepping”.......

Honored Contributor

Re: Who here has NOT “stocked up”

Well, I think there is a difference between stocking up and being an actual prepper.

I ALWAYS, not just during this pandemic, have plenty of toilet paper, paper towels, soaps and shower gels.  Always have.  Did I buy extra for the Pandemic specifically?  No.  I didn't need to.  But I am also not one to get down to 2 rolls of toilet paper and then have to worry about finding it.  That's just not how I do things.  I always keep a really healthy supply of batteries also.  Always have.

What I DID buy at the beginning of this pandemic was hand sanitizer (I never use it).  I was at Target really JUST before this all started.  I decided I'd get 1 travel sized hand sanitizer for my car.  The associate at Target told me that all they had left was up by the cash registers.  I looked at the display at every cash register and found 6 total.  I bought 5 of them.  Kept 1 for myself and gave the others away to the women I walk with.  Again, this while we still COULD walk together.

I bought one tub of wipes.  I never use wipes but bought one tub, just in case.  I still haven't opened the tub.

I bought 1 travel sized Wet Ones (last one in stock) and found 2 travel Clorox wipes (or maybe they're Lysol).  I've used 2 of the Clorox or Lysol wipes so far.  HATE the smell of them.  I have the Wet Ones in the car and have used a few of those.

Only you can answer if you're in denial or it you don't have storage space or whether you're trying to avoid collecting more things  I'm the biggest anti clutter person out there, but I always have a healthy supply of things we use.  And I get rid of the things we don't.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Trusted Contributor

@JumpTheRope It's not you- I refuse to fall into this insanity it's  nonsense.  I know it's serious, I'm heeding all the warnings, not being stupid and going out unless I have to but stocking up? Crazy. 

I have cleaners in my house.  I have hand sanitizer and toilet paper, wipes etc.  I keep my house and cars clean.  I'm cautious-wipe down packages etc, but really- All of this?

I understand families who will have kids home or are working at home will need extra supplies for lunches etc.  If they're smart they will get what they need once to avoid having to continue to go out, clearly using their heads.  But this hoarding?  Insanity. 

BTW-- I work in a lab, my partners in the lab beside me are doing the transport of these samples to the actual testing labs and they're pulling my technicians to go out to those labs to assist.   I"m right next to this, not to mention what potentially comes in on my samples and I"m not concerned.  I keep myself safe with my gear and use my head.  That's all anyone has to do.  It's crazy. 

Stay safe, keep your head on straight.  Heed the warnings- It's passing - 

Honored Contributor

Without knowing what was coming, in January I stocked up on everything in high demand now on one of my trips to Costco. So I'm all set for quite a while. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have always had a thing about having extra toilet paper...which turned out to be good right now.  However, I'm running out and can't find any at stores here.  I'm going to another store during their hour for elderly and at-risk to see if they have any.  If not, I'll have to figure out something.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

\

Trusted Contributor

@CalminHeart   I saw on Facebook where someone had taken a roll of paper towels and cut it in half, through the middle and it appeared to look like 2 rolls of toliet paper...That might work in a pinch, as long as it was flimsy paper towels and wouldn't clog up the toliet.

Honored Contributor

I live in an area where the weather can cause problems. So I try to stay prepared as best as I can and that would include having enough essentials to last at least two weeks or so and some things longer. I grew up as a military brat and I think that part of me has given me some advantages in my life, one of them is being prepared for the unexpected.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I haven't stocked up either.  I don't own a big freezer and I have to buy protein (meat, chicken, pork) each grocery visit for the next week.  The freezer in my refrigerator only has room for that plus some other items.   

I already had toilet paper,  ordered paper towels from Amazon, and I have never used sanitizer.  I believe soap is just as effective.

And I don't shop the big box stores - just my neighborhood grocery and yes - its been hard dealing with the empty shelves.  I'm becoming very creative with my cooking.

Esteemed Contributor

I never stock up like that. I was lucky the end of January I did my Sams club run and bought a Scott tp pack and a bounty. So not knowing I set us up for three months. Otherwise it's shopping as usual if I can get it. I never seen the shelves and freezers so bare. Take care. 🙏❤️🧻