Respected Contributor

Re: When You Get Into Your Car

@Marp wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Marp wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

Is this a test?

Yes, and apparently I failed!  Brother was teasing me today because as soon as I close the door I lock the doors.  I told him most women do.  Apparently most do not lock the doors first.

@Marp

What's wrong with women locking the door first?  It makes sense to me, what with all the carjacking that goes on.

@Noel7, IMO nothing is wrong with it.  Brother probably started teasing because the car was in the carport and he was waiting for me to pull the hood release so he could check the fluids for me.  Locking the doors is just so automatic I'm not even really aware that I do it.

ETA:  I wasn't going to make that admission but that is what happened.

@Marp, not a bad habit to be in, by any means!  You never know, so let your brother tease away.  lol 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Esteemed Contributor

The correct answer is to lock the door before you do anything else, and then drive away. If anyone has been watching you, it's in your best interest to get away ASAP. You can fix your makeup, check your phone messages, make a call, or do any other task AFTER you are out of your parking spot and on your way.

I just read this article the other day, written by the police on how to be safe and save your life, and that was their answer.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

Lock the doors first. Then start car and put on the seatbelt. I learned that while covering crimes as a reporter. Lock yourself in first! 

Honored Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Marp wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

Is this a test?

Yes, and apparently I failed!  Brother was teasing me today because as soon as I close the door I lock the doors.  I told him most women do.  Apparently most do not lock the doors first.

@Marp

What's wrong with women locking the door first?  It makes sense to me, what with all the carjacking that goes on.

@Noel7, IMO nothing is wrong with it.  Brother probably started teasing because the car was in the carport and he was waiting for me to pull the hood release so he could check the fluids for me.  Locking the doors is just so automatic I'm not even really aware that I do it.

ETA:  I wasn't going to make that admission but that is what happened.

Thanks, @Marp. I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong by locking first.   I try to put safety first, especially in a parking lot.

Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

@Marp wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

Is this a test?

What are we supposed to do first?  I don't really know what I do first.  I think it varies based on where I am.

@faeriemoon    @Marp

Years ago I took a Women's Self Defense course and they said a woman is most vulnerable the first 15 seconds she gets in her car ... adjusting sealtbelt and mirror, starting her car,  or whatever.   What you SHOULD do is LOCK YOUR CAR FIRST.  That way no one can open the door while you're messing with adjusting things.

Another tip .....   If you get into your car and find someone has placed a flyer under your windshield wiper, DO NOT get back out of your car to remove it.   Someone could be nearby,  waiting for you to mindlessly open the door and grab the flyer.   You are much too vulnerable.   You're better off to drive to the other end of the parking lot and then stop to open your door .... and then grab the flyer. 

Honored Contributor

I lock it. After that I start it and then buckle up.